Someone with BFG KM2 experience please open... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Someone with BFG KM2 experience please open...

I need another set of eyes to check out these tire pics that the seller sent me. How do they look tread depth wise for 500 bucks? How many more productive miles would you say I could get out of them? They are 35X12.50 18s. Seller said tread wear is even with all highway miles on them. Are they worth it?

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 PM
JKO Addict!

You'll get a few miles worth of decent trail use out of them, but after that they just turn into street tires pretty quickly.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks Goody. Will they be safe for street use and tread water properly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 01:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Right where they are at they will. I wore mine down to the bone, I'd figure 5/32" or so and you start to get into hydroplaning territory. They just won't shed water well if you go through deep puddles.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #5 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

You think they are worth the 500? I know you know but new ones are 390 a piece!

post #6 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 01:34 PM
JKO Addict!

That's your call and depends on how much you wheel. You'll run out of very "usable" off road tread pretty quickly. I personally hate buying used tires. I know they are expensive..but unless they are 90% new or something like that, I'll pass. Also given they are KM2s, worn "35" KM2s are going to be 33.xx" I bet.

post #7 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Very good points. Thanks for the advice.

post #8 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

For 500 not too bad a deal. That is if you are already running 18's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Yeah they're for my new truck which have the 32" Rugged Trails on it now.

post #10 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 02:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

A measurement of tread depth would be most helpful in determining mileage left. I bought a set of used km2's with 20,000 on them. I put another 20,000 on them and sold them for $250 with the new spare. I paid 600 for for them. I have never bought a new set of tires for the Jeep.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods

Last edited by PhrogMech46; 07-26-2012 at 02:07 PM.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-26-2012, 06:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

you'll get a lot more miles out of those. the km2s last for a long time. I've got 30,000 on mine and I anticipate another 20k unless i sell them before that.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #12 of 18 Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Granite Guru

The tread doesn't look terrible from these pics, especially for $500. Tires are expensive new.

Where are you in MS? I am in Hattiesburg but went to State!

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Black

RK 3.5 Max Travel:Fox Shocks:Fox Front Steering Stabilizer:Ace Front Stubby w/ Stinger:Ace Tubular Fenders:Ace Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier:Level 8 ZX Wheels:37-12.5-17 MTR-Kevlar:Engo 9K Winch:Currie Anti-Rock:Synthetic Winch Rope:6 panel sPOD:Rigid Lights:AEV Procal
post #13 of 18 Old 08-01-2012, 09:23 AM
JKO Addict!

With 18's and 35's your not gonna do much wheeling anyway. If you do, that combo is gonna rip up what little sidewall you have especially if you air down anywhere near 15lbs. I would say max air down is 20lbs if you go off road with that combo and it may need to be higher than that depending on the weight of your vehicle. This is just my opinion based on experience with KM2's, for what it's worth.

That said, $500.00 is a very good deal and the tread looks great in the pics and once you get them mounted by another tire company (hint, hint), take them to Discount and let them know you want to buy Tire Certs for them. Probably cost you about $60.00 per tire but then your covered if you get damage.

One thing to consider though; turn the fing white walls in!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tires may already be ruined by running them that way
post #14 of 18 Old 08-01-2012, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

So I went ahead and got the tires because the guy wanted my tires so we traded even. Here are some before and after pics for you viewing plessure. I also put a 3" level kit on the front and riderite airbags on the back which added about an inch to the rear.

BEFORE

AFTER

post #15 of 18 Old 08-01-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badjk View Post
The tread doesn't look terrible from these pics, especially for $500. Tires are expensive new.

Where are you in MS? I am in Hattiesburg but went to State!
Im in Jackson. The tires actually came form a guy in Hattiesburg!

post #16 of 18 Old 08-01-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
With 18's and 35's your not gonna do much wheeling anyway. If you do, that combo is gonna rip up what little sidewall you have especially if you air down anywhere near 15lbs. I would say max air down is 20lbs if you go off road with that combo and it may need to be higher than that depending on the weight of your vehicle. This is just my opinion based on experience with KM2's, for what it's worth.

That said, $500.00 is a very good deal and the tread looks great in the pics and once you get them mounted by another tire company (hint, hint), take them to Discount and let them know you want to buy Tire Certs for them. Probably cost you about $60.00 per tire but then your covered if you get damage.

One thing to consider though; turn the fing white walls in!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tires may already be ruined by running them that way
Agreed. Not going to be doing any serious wheeling with a truck this big. I did the swap at Wally World. Only cost me 50 bucks and I got lifetime balance and rotation. The guys at my Wal-Mart actually do a good job.

AND I like the letters!

post #17 of 18 Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I missed this thread. I would have said do it. Been really happy with our KM2's, mostly on road driving and it looks like we are going to get at least 40k out of them. About 1/8" from the wear bars and still decent traction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post
Agreed. Not going to be doing any serious wheeling with a truck this big. I did the swap at Wally World. Only cost me 50 bucks and I got lifetime balance and rotation. The guys at my Wal-Mart actually do a good job.

AND I like the letters!
Agreed, on that truck it looks nice. And I've had good experiences with walmart in the past too. They were a little slow but dude hand tightened all lug nuts with a torque wrench.

Night and day difference on the look of the truck BTW :thumbsup: So you've been hanging out with Ian on the Tundra forums then?

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-01-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks Larry. No I haven't joined any Tundra forums yet. There are so many of them, I haven't decided which one is a good one yet. Honestly Im so busy these days that I don't have time to get on any forum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode