Tire Balance help in NC - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Tire Balance help in NC

So I've got a set of TWF wheels with brand new 37" Rockers...Per some research online, I added 12 oz of higher end air soft bb's to help with the balancing. The jeep, as of now, is undrivable anything over 20 or so mph, to the point the steering wobbles back and forth so hard that it will, if you let it, break into a DW....

I'm running brand new TRE's, Drag link ends, ball joints, and have re-torqued everything under the front and inspected it. Rotating the wheels this weekend I found 1 tire in particular thats having issues, but they're all pretty bad.

So, basically I'm stumped. I called Andy at TWF and he suggested a few things that I'm going to try, but I doubt they're going to yield the significant improvement I need to even get the thing safe to drive.

Anybody know of any 4x4 shops near Raleigh NC?? I called 4-wheel parts and thats a no-go, said they wouldnt even attempt it.

My only other thought is to simply add more balancing media, but thats not too simple as I'd have to disassemble the wheels again (HUGE pita)

Thoughts???

07 X..3.5 Rock Krawler mid arm, teraflex steering stabilizer, JKS quick discos, smittibilt rocker guards, poison spyder BFH front and rear, XRC8 winch, 37" pitbull rockers on TWF's, CB, Rock lights, KC Stinger lights, Hella pillar lights, High Lift on hood, Cut flares, 3 amps, polk db front, Kicker type R rears, 1 12" P3, Viper throttle, Yukon 5.13's, Pure jeep truss/gussets, home brew switch panel/corner armor etc etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Rock God

Where in Raleigh are you?

I know it's a dumb question but did you think about any mom and pop tire shop to see if they could do it?

The only other shop that I know of is wake field atv just inside wake forest off capital. They have helped me on the past. They are going to weld in my gussets when I get them.

JK ready for the build but the pockets aint
post #3 of 22 Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Rock God

take the weights out and have someone spin them. how much weight were they calling for before you added the 12 oz?

'12 JKU, 3.5", D44 front swap w/ OX & 5.13s. CMM & Rimz One Built.
Sponsored by Rigid Industries & Method Race Wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

^^Not real sure, off a few charts (including dynabead) it said around 12oz...But, I found a place that can handle it (Super Trucks plus) in Raleigh...These guys build the big boys runnin 54's and such. They did say, however that they could be upwards of 4-500 bucks to balance all 4, pending how many times they had to disassemble the wheels.

So, I pulled 1 bolt off each wheel last night and looky there, all four of them are almost 1/4" off center with the inside 1/2 of the wheel. Seeing as the outer half is a good 20-25 pounds, this is DEFINETLY my issue.

My plan is to unbolt them and reinstall the 2 halves together using lug-centric lug nuts to keep them centered....Good thing I found this too, b/c there is NO way any shop could balance them as the entire f-ing wheel is bascially crooked as hell.

I should note that Andy from TWF suggested this to me the other day, and sure enough its my problem. I'll spend the next few evenings dissassembling and re-assembling the wheels and post back with results.

07 X..3.5 Rock Krawler mid arm, teraflex steering stabilizer, JKS quick discos, smittibilt rocker guards, poison spyder BFH front and rear, XRC8 winch, 37" pitbull rockers on TWF's, CB, Rock lights, KC Stinger lights, Hella pillar lights, High Lift on hood, Cut flares, 3 amps, polk db front, Kicker type R rears, 1 12" P3, Viper throttle, Yukon 5.13's, Pure jeep truss/gussets, home brew switch panel/corner armor etc etc
post #5 of 22 Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, took the first one apart tonight. What I've found is that the holes on the outer half are off from the inside of the wheel (the studs)...or at least thats the way it appears...In other words I don't think they're going to line up period. In other words, its not that the 2 halves arent centered, but that the stud-hole won't mesh.

I'm bringing the one wheel I have apart to my shop tomorrow to give it some attention, I'm hoping to find some different "centering" nuts than what I tried tonight. What I'm getting scared of is stripping the studs from taking them apart and putting them back together so many times....Not to mention the time involved. I'll update w/ what I find, but as of now I may have to take them to a shop afterall and just pony up the cash

Last edited by scotty6336; 07-24-2012 at 05:45 PM.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchmelo View Post
Where in Raleigh are you?

I know it's a dumb question but did you think about any mom and pop tire shop to see if they could do it?

The only other shop that I know of is wake field atv just inside wake forest off capital. They have helped me on the past. They are going to weld in my gussets when I get them.
If your near Raleigh hit me up, I welded mine on in a couple hours, can do yours if you need some help.

post #7 of 22 Old 07-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Rock God

Thats awesome! Thanks I could use help!!! Where are you located in Raleigh?

I'm in north Raleigh off falls of neuse rd.

Last edited by jchmelo; 07-24-2012 at 06:35 PM.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Not a problem at all. I live in N. Raleigh near falls of Neuse and Strickland and have a small shop at home, or I also run a body shop in Durham, so I can do it at either one (prefer home so I can drink beer haha)

But yeah just let me know man, no biggie.

post #9 of 22 Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Rock God

Awesome!!!! When I get them I'll let you know and bring whatever your choice of beer is!!!

post #10 of 22 Old 07-25-2012, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Just realized you're right on Falls too, I've probably seen you around...

post #11 of 22 Old 07-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Rock God

Yeah I think I've seen your around a few times by pipers and that new shipping center across from pipers! We need to have an install party sometime I've got quite a few. Ea parts coming in and I know here are a few others around here that would love to have and install party!

post #12 of 22 Old 07-25-2012, 12:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Call Chase at East Coast Gear supply 919-672-2705 they are on Mt Herman Rd. If you need anything they can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #13 of 22 Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 PM
JKO Addict!

So wait what are you saying that your problem turned out being? That your lug nuts were not torquing the wheel flush against the rotor?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #14 of 22 Old 07-25-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Install party anytime man....and as far as the problem goes, I really don't know as of now. It appeared that the outer ring was not centered, but after closer inspection with all 8 bolts removed, that was not the case. So I removed all the balance beads and put on the machine at my shop, which was unable to get the tire to speed, likely due to the weight.

I had a guy drop off the one wheel at super trucks plus in DT Raleigh about an hour ago, and I should know something by tomorrow. Guy said it shouldnt be a problem to balance it, but I'm just concerned with cost as I've got too much wrapped up in the rollers as is right now....and another 500 bucks would be overkill....

post #15 of 22 Old 07-25-2012, 01:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

call Chase if they dont do it they will know who will, and probably for much less then $100 a tire, that is INSANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #16 of 22 Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

^^No kidding. They said if they just balance them I'd be looking at 100 bucks for all 4, which aint bad...The real cost is if they have to dissassemble/rebuild the wheels. And believe me, thats worth paying for after you've done it 3 times to each wheel.

To give you an idea, to completely remove, air down, disassemble and re assemble all 4 wheels/tires, I'd say right around 8 hours of HARD work....Then do it again...and again...you get the idear.

post #17 of 22 Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Rock God

Wow that's a lot man. I hope they get it figure out! Are you thinking they just need to be balanced correctly?

post #18 of 22 Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, just picked them up today, and they did balance...sort of. They "zero'd" them out, which is strange...1 wheel has 2.5 oz of weight, the other has 12, so they apparently didn't rotate the tire on the wheel..But anyway...

Got it up to 50 today, drives ok, a noticable improvement. I still feel like DW could kick in at the slightes bump, as the steering is still pretty flighty and such, also a slight shimmy that comes and goes at pretty much any speed..I'm going to try to align it toe'd-out tomorrow..

I didn't expect it to ride "nice" or anything, but I've got to get it a little better.

post #19 of 22 Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I should also note that they only charged me 60 bucks for two....

post #20 of 22 Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Rock God

Well that's better news! I hope you get it all figured out!!

post #21 of 22 Old 08-07-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

FOLLOW UP

So still having issues, and still undriveable. Mabe somebody here can help.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/searc...rchid=12417515

This is obviously my thread on pirate, any input is appreciated, the videos more closely show my issues.

Scott

post #22 of 22 Old 08-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Rock God

Did you get this fixed yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode