Looking for feedback on AEV & method race wheels Nd - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Looking for feedback on AEV & method race wheels Nd

So I'm trying to decide on some wheels for my Rubi unltd. I was leaning toward the AEV Savegre wheels but the I stumbled on the Method Race Wheels Double Black. I tried researching the wheel and there is not much information out there other than wheel size, offset and backspacing. Now they call the wheel a 'street loc'. Now does that mean it's a 'fake beadloc' or a street legal beadloc wheel? As far as the AEV Savegre wheels, who has them. How do you like them?

Also does anyone on wow anything about this company? I tired researching it as well and couldn't come up with much other than they seem to be a small company that's only been around a couple of years.

Thanks

Kevin

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kkuntz01; 07-16-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
So I'm trying to decide on some wheels for my Rubi unltd. I was leaning toward the AEV Savegre wheels but the I stumbled on the Method Race Wheels Double Black. I tried researching the wheel and there is not much information out there other than wheel size, offset and backspacing. Now they call the wheel a 'street loc'. Now does that mean it's a 'fake beadloc' or a street legal beadloc wheel? As far as the AEV Savegre wheels, who has them. How do you like them?

Also does anyone on wow anything about this company? I tired researching it as well and couldn't come up with much other than they seem to be a small company that's only been around a couple of years.

Thanks

Kevin
Method race wheels are used by a lot of baja trucks in score racing. The BS for the 17" JK wheel is 4.75". The AEV wheels we have used a ton as well and they are 4.70 so not much different. The street lock is a simulated beadlock..AKA Fake.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Adventure Jeep Packages/Parts
480-788-7245 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Perfomance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Customs Ripp Superchargers
post #3 of 22 Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM
VKS Fab

I run them and like them. They look cool and shit.

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Vick View Post
SIK JK!

Jeep Sales/Adventure Jeep Packages/Parts
480-788-7245 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Perfomance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Customs Ripp Superchargers
post #5 of 22 Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Concepts View Post
Method race wheels are used by a lot of baja trucks in score racing. The BS for the 17" JK wheel is 4.75". The AEV wheels we have used a ton as well and they are 4.70 so not much different. The street lock is a simulated beadlock..AKA Fake.

Jason
Jason, are you sure the BS on the AEV's is 4.7"? I was under the impression it was 5.2" based on what I saw on the AEV site. Not that 5.2 to 4.75 is a much, less than 1/2 an inch, but I just wated to make sure.

So with the Method wheels it's a fake beadlock, but is that ring removable? Just curious for either touch up purposes if it gets scratched to hell. Also are these wheels cast, forged or machined?

A big concern of mine is whether the quality is there. I'd hate to be dropping what is big money to me on a set of rims only to find out they're junk.

Quote:
So I'm assuming you've hand other wheels on your Jeep. How would you rate the quality of these wheels. Sure they look good hows the fit and finish?

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 PM
VKS Fab

Quote:
So I'm assuming you've hand other wheels on your Jeep. How would you rate the quality of these wheels. Sure they look good hows the fit and finish?
Correct, I was running a set of ProComps on my previous set 37's. On these the only down side is that the little fake beadlock bolts are exposed, not counter-sunk like my PC's. So I'm sure once I get them in the rocks I'm gonna tear them out. Luckily they actually thread in and are actual bolts, so they can be replaced. I was thinking of changing them to button-head allens. One last thing with Methods, they are one of the lightest, strongest wheels out there. That's why they are so popular in the prerunner/TT market.

Handmade One At A Time

post #7 of 22 Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 PM
VKS Fab

Quote:
SIK JK!
Thanks!

Handmade One At A Time

post #8 of 22 Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 AM
JKO Addict!

I had to run 1.5" spacers with AEV Pintlers, Teraflex 4" lift and 37x12.5x17 tires.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #9 of 22 Old 07-18-2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
I had to run 1.5" spacers with AEV Pintlers, Teraflex 4" lift and 37x12.5x17 tires.
I don't think that will be a concern for me. Currently have no plans to go that big. If I decide to put a lift on it, likely wouldn't be more than 2-2.5" with 33's, max would be 35's.

My biggest concern is the quality of the wheels. Not the I think AEV is the end all be all, but they do seem to have a quality rim and they stand behind them.

The method wheels, I guess my concern is they're a newish company that seems to have a presence in racing but not a ton of info out there. My impression so far, is nice looking wheels, a lot of talk but no info to support the talk.

post #10 of 22 Old 07-18-2012, 10:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I don't think that will be a concern for me. Currently have no plans to go that big. If I decide to put a lift on it, likely wouldn't be more than 2-2.5" with 33's, max would be 35's.

My biggest concern is the quality of the wheels. Not the I think AEV is the end all be all, but they do seem to have a quality rim and they stand behind them.

The method wheels, I guess my concern is they're a newish company that seems to have a presence in racing but not a ton of info out there. My impression so far, is nice looking wheels, a lot of talk but no info to support the talk.
I'm saying the tires rubbed when turning because of the backspace of the AEV wheels. My tires are 12.5 inches wide and they rubbed on the control arm when aired down and turned to full lock.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #11 of 22 Old 07-18-2012, 11:16 AM
VKS Fab

Quote:

Well, my thinking is that Method Wheels builds race wheels. Not saying their street wheels will be the exact build quality, but I'm sure they share the same characteristics. I have done some searching around and have not come across a damaged/broken wheel. AEV on the other hand...

Handmade One At A Time

Last edited by JK Vick; 07-18-2012 at 11:19 AM.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-18-2012, 11:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Well, my thinking is that Method Wheels builds race wheels.
They make a forged wheel which is stronger (and alot more expensive). I dont know if most race teams run the forged or regular wheels but still something to think about.

I looked at these wheels alot before going with Walkers. The issue I had with them (other than the limited amount of backspacing options) is the fact that bolts thread directly into the aluminum and dont have thread inserts like Walkers.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
VKS Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
They make a forged wheel which is stronger (and alot more expensive). I dont know if most race teams run the forged or regular wheels but still something to think about.

I looked at these wheels alot before going with Walkers. The issue I had with them (other than the limited amount of backspacing options) is the fact that bolts thread directly into the aluminum and dont have thread inserts like Walkers.
Definitely, their street wheels are what I'm talking about. I have never owned their beadlocks. I'm sure if a guy was concerned about their strength you could give them a call and see how they are made, and how their strength compares from their street to race wheels.

Handmade One At A Time

post #14 of 22 Old 07-18-2012, 11:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Do a seacrh for the cracked AEV story. I did. They had a bad batch and to my knowledge they replaced every wheel without a problem.

Build thread:

post #15 of 22 Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Well the AEV wheels got +10mm offset which won't be enough for 35X12.5 (315/70R17) and will likely create rubbing near steering lock severity depending how true to size the tires are. Generally I'd recommend 0mm offset minimum for 35X12.5" tires, -6mm to -12mm offset would be ideal for that size tire IMO.

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #16 of 22 Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Dayum those walker evans are sweet, but the price.

How those rings mount to the rim on the methods could be a concern. Not that I plan to thrash my junk. I'd just hate to rip a bolt out 'cuz I was too close to a rock or something when I wasn't doing anything hard.

post #17 of 22 Old 07-18-2012, 12:31 PM
VKS Fab

Quote:
Dayum those walker evans are sweet, but the price.

How those rings mount to the rim on the methods could be a concern. Not that I plan to thrash my junk. I'd just hate to rip a bolt out 'cuz I was too close to a rock or something when I wasn't doing anything hard.
On the Methods there isnt a ring. Just some fake bolts, well, not fake (they are real bolts) they just don't attach anything. They're just for looks. They're beadlooks not beadlocks.

Handmade One At A Time

post #18 of 22 Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
On the Methods there isnt a ring. Just some fake bolts, well, not fake (they are real bolts) they just don't attach anything. They're just for looks. They're beadlooks not beadlocks.
Are yours the Standard or Double Standard model?

I was considering the Double Standard.

Also do you know if they're hub centric or not?

post #19 of 22 Old 07-18-2012, 12:39 PM
VKS Fab

Quote:
Are yours the Standard or Double Standard model?

I was considering the Double Standard.

Also do you know if they're hub centric or not?
Standard. And they are not hubcentric.

Handmade One At A Time

post #20 of 22 Old 07-18-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Well I think I just ruled the Methods out. They look cool which is why they caught my eye but if the "streetloc" is nothing more than a molded lip with bolts threaded into it. What's the purpose...

Quote:
Thanks you for your interest in our line of truck wheels.
We manufacture our parts in China, designed & engineered here.
We are fairly new at 2 Ĺ year old brand, but we came from a large company with 20+ yrs experience.

Our Street series wheels are a cast aluminum part that have a stainless steel or steel bolts threaded into the wheel(no nutserts).
The MR304 Double Standard lip area is molded into the wheel with “removable bolts only”. this wheel is either all Matte black or black face w/machined lip and has a retail price of $196 ea.(plenty of either in stock). The wheel has a 3500lb load rating and weighs 29.5lbs.
I still have time yet as I'm still saving money.

Last edited by kkuntz01; 07-18-2012 at 03:07 PM.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-21-2018, 05:06 PM

Hey great looking jeep! What size tires and rims do you run and with what offset?

Thanks!
post #22 of 22 Old 07-21-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
SIK JK!
Great looking jeep! Do you mind telling me what size tires and wheels you run? and with what offset?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode