35s with a 4.10 and 6 Speed? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
35s with a 4.10 and 6 Speed?

So, according to this:

I could run 35s with a 4.10 and a 6 Speed? Other than having to downshift on hills (I live on the East Coast of Virginia, not many hills ) are there any other drawbacks? This is my daily driver and I do some off-roading about once a month which is usually just trail riding with a few rock gardens but most of my miles are highway.

RK 2.5" Flex - Body Armor Front Bumper - Superwinch 8500 lb - Rigid Industries Dually Flood Lights and Diffused Reverse Light - G2 Gear & Axle Diff Covers - Dynomax Exhaust - Drake Off-Road Billet Knobs - Oliver's Driveshafts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
Coming to JKO to get educated on politics is like a marathoner watching the Special Olympics to get technique pointers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-19-2012, 11:16 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

4.10s and 35s with that six speed will be nice on the highway. Do it!

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 Old 06-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

I'm running that exact setup. Works like a champ - even @ 75-80 mph on the highway during my commute to and from work every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Rock God

this is what i am running and it is tolerable...we'll see when i pull the trailer how thw gear ratio feels

post #5 of 17 Old 06-19-2012, 11:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
4.10s and 35s with that six speed will be nice on the highway. Do it!

Marcus
Yep, I ran it for 45,000 miles. Wouldn't change a thing.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-19-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

So how does it do offroad? I find myself rarely using 1st when I'm in 4-Low so I guess that might change.

Anything I need to worry about (i.e. gusseting)?

RK 2.5" Flex - Body Armor Front Bumper - Superwinch 8500 lb - Rigid Industries Dually Flood Lights and Diffused Reverse Light - G2 Gear & Axle Diff Covers - Dynomax Exhaust - Drake Off-Road Billet Knobs - Oliver's Driveshafts
Quote:
Coming to JKO to get educated on politics is like a marathoner watching the Special Olympics to get technique pointers.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbillyOSU View Post
So how does it do offroad? I find myself rarely using 1st when I'm in 4-Low so I guess that might change.

Anything I need to worry about (i.e. gusseting)?
Definitely depends on the terrain, what I usually mess with is 1st gear in 4-low or easing in-between obstacles.

Gussets are a good idea, so is a sleeve or truss of some sort.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #8 of 17 Old 06-19-2012, 01:25 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

I am running 4.10s (Rubi) on 35s.....here on Oahu we have a lot of hilly driving as well as off-roading. Main thing I do when I know I am approaching a hill with lots of traffic I downshift to 5th. If there aren't any cars in front of me that I know will require braking, I keep it in 6th and can usually hold the speed....once I have to brake all bets are off for 6th. Other than that for highway I have had zero issues with 4.10s.

For off-roading, I bounce back and forth between 1st/2nd and 4LO....just depends on the terrain.

U.S. Army
post #9 of 17 Old 06-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Rock God

Garage

35's with 4.10's and an auto and I don't mind at all. Though last week with two friends in the Jeep I could feel the power loss....

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Rock God

when creeping around the mall i'll notice a slight shutter from the motor from not enough gearing or speed so i use the blimp the throttle and roll method.

0-60mph actually feels faster because u dont have to shift as much

hwy is ok, occasional i'll have to down shift on mild inclines but i can still cruise at 75mph

eventually ill get the jeep regeared for towing purposes

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #11 of 17 Old 06-19-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Definitely depends on the terrain, what I usually mess with is 1st gear in 4-low or easing in-between obstacles.

Gussets are a good idea, so is a sleeve or truss of some sort.
Is there anyone that makes a good gusset/truss kit or am I better off going to someone and having it done?

Quote:
post #12 of 17 Old 06-19-2012, 02:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Is there anyone that makes a good gusset/truss kit or am I better off going to someone and having it done?
There are several kits, if you can do the welding it's a good way to go.

For sleeves - Poly Performance has a nice setup. This requires several holes to be drilled into the axle tubes, the sleeve slides in and gets plug welded to the housing. This does limit you from going to aftermarket 35 spline axle shafts, however this is a very common way to strengthen a housing.

For trusses - The best for factory control arm mount/spring bucket Jeeps would be PureJeep's Backbone or River Raiders truss kit.

For C-gussets - I have Poly Performance's plate c-gussets, however I would prefer the PureJeep/Teraflex style solid chunk of steel c-gussets if I had to do it again. PureJeep also has a kit that includes the truss, c-gussets, front and rear control arm mount gussets for $150-$200..somewhere around there.

post #13 of 17 Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Cool, thanks guys. So do I need to do sleeves, gussets, and trusses to run 35s? Probably leaning towards KM2s.

Quote:
post #14 of 17 Old 06-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Cool, thanks guys. So do I need to do sleeves, gussets, and trusses to run 35s? Probably leaning towards KM2s.
You don't *need* them, but things like that are a good recommendation. I'm just running with just gussets at the moment. Those would be the first thing to do on my list.

It's another one of those "how you drive it" type of situations.

And those KM2's are one of the lightest tire options out today. You should have little to no problems whatsoever running them.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
You don't *need* them, but things like that are a good recommendation. I'm just running with just gussets at the moment. Those would be the first thing to do on my list.

It's another one of those "how you drive it" type of situations.
Well said. I just have the gussets on mine, along with Synergy ball joints to keep my front axle happy with 35's. I take it easy on the trail and prefer to drive with my head rather than with a heavy right foot. If you plan to jump it and/or otherwise abuse your Jeep, you'd want to look into a truss or simply upgrade to a Dynatrac ProRock.

As far as stock 4.10 gears and a 6-speed, I'd consider the gearing to be perfect. 6th gear still pulls fine, but it's obviously a "fuel economy" overdrive gear. If you need power, you have 5 other gears to choose from. 6th is purely for fuel economy.

: Daily driven rockcrawler
Nothing but the best: AEV, Rancho, MetalCloak, Synergy, Reid Racing, Artec, Warn, Cooper
post #16 of 17 Old 06-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Went with this and it's great!!

http://purejeep.com/proddetail.php?prod=PJ5157
post #17 of 17 Old 06-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Granite Guru

You'll be fine w/ the 4.10's. They're fine for me in the flat lands of Illinois. Just add parts to the front end as you go. That's my plan.

'96 Dodge 2500 12v
'15 JKU-R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode