37's on stock Rubicon Wheels with Spacers? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
37's on stock Rubicon Wheels with Spacers?

After being jerked around and lied to over the last month by Quadratec on when a set of Hutchinsons I ordered would ship, I gave up and canceled this afternoon.

This leaves me without new wheels for a set of 37x12.5 MTRs I have. (4" lift, gears, etc. have been on the Jeep for weeks...)

Has anyone run into problems mounting 37" MTRs on the stock Rubicon wheels along with Spidertrax spacers? (I realize this setup is far from ideal, just looking to get a few months out of it while I come up with a beadlock plan B.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Tons of people run that setup. May want to run a little less pressure for a decent patch on the road...but it'll be just fine.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

It will indeed be fine with the wheel spacers. Might rub on the lower control arms at full lock steering but it's not a big deal if you're aware of it.

If you still want a set of Hutchinson bead locks I can make a few phone calls and see how quickly a set could be on your door step. I'm happy to help if you need any.

Those wheels do have a lead time in most cases...did you happen to call Hutchinson direct to find out how close you were to receiving them?

Marcus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-04-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm going to go ahead and have the MTRs mounted on the stock wheels in the next day or so. Hopefully it will work out and I won't have think about wheels again for a while.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-05-2012, 05:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Try ironmanoffraod.com for the rock monsters. best price I could find and took about 3 weeks to get. Northridge stocks them sometimes, you might try them if you need them fast.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #6 of 18 Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Granite Guru

Stock wheels on 1.5 " spidertrax spacers. You can put a washer on the steering stop to stop the rubbing if you want, I just dont turn as sharp. I'm also running 32psi for pressure and it seems to be good with road manners.

2007 JKU Rubicon "Mo"
37's
3" TF Lift
post #7 of 18 Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Rock God

nreese, did you not do any gearing or axle reinforcement?
post #8 of 18 Old 06-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Granite Guru

Do you like the setup? I've got my lift sitting in the garage, but my friend that has a welder won't be in town to help install it until August and besides that I'm leaving town a couple times, so unless I come up with more money before then I will be running the same setup until I can afford to get new rims.

2012 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Gecko Green!
6" longarm, 40" tires, 4:88's Synergy inner/outer sleeves, trussed, c's and hvy duty ball joints,Tom Woods DS f/r, Bush Whacker Flat Fenders.
RSE Rear Bumper, Smitty Stinger front.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Granite Guru

no gearing, I dont feel a loss or power of anything and I drive 100 miles day on highway and usually cruise around 65/70 mph, I do turn the O/D off though it makes a big difference. Havent reinforced yet but I am planning on it very soon. I love the setup and the ride is great. Going to Rausch Creek soon to see how it wheels and then I'll know for sure. It sits the same height as the RK 3.5 kit and the measured flex is a little less until I have enough funds for the kit. I figure I save money on the wheels for the time being until I can beef up the axles, eventually I'll be getting Racelines.

2007 JKU Rubicon "Mo"
37's
3" TF Lift
post #10 of 18 Old 06-16-2012, 07:02 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreese View Post
Havent reinforced yet but I am planning on it very soon. I figure I save money on the wheels for the time being until I can beef up the axles, eventually I'll be getting Racelines.
I have these. they have stood up to trail abuse very well. nice product for welding in. control arm skids that come with it were a very nice addition to my jeep.
http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/of...ackage-c2-pack
I also bought sleeves from Iron Rock Offroad, but you can get sleeves from any where really. only thing I would do different is obtain reinforcement of the tubes at the center section. it looks like it is holding up but that still makes be nervous. well worth the investment for $60 and some welding.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-14-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Thanks all for the information and the photos. This is just a followup post as I hate searching up threads that ask a question but don't have the OPs final solution.

It took much longer than I had thought to get the tires mounted and on the JK. I was travelling and getting time with my local fabricator is tough this time of year.

I had to have the upper rear link frame mounts moved in about 1.25 inches. I'm using a Full Traction long arm lift and they want wheels with something like 3.5" of back spacing to clear the upper rear links. That seemed excessive to me. Arabia's was able to do a cut and weld job on the mounts to move them in. The lift now works with 4.75" of backspacing, stock wheels at 6.25" and 1.5" Spidertrax spacers.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreese View Post

Stock wheels on 1.5 " spidertrax spacers. You can put a washer on the steering stop to stop the rubbing if you want, I just dont turn as sharp. I'm also running 32psi for pressure and it seems to be good with road manners.
I just bought a dremel to do the fender/bumper cuts you have in that pic. Plans are for an eventual steel winch bumper with light bar, and tube fenders, but they're months down the road and I want my ride to look different than every other stocker ASAP.

Plus, who doesn't need a dremel anyways? Thanks for helping me justify a new tool purchase to my better half.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-30-2012, 06:46 PM
JKO Addict!

a good set of tin snips works about the best on cutting those fenders. High speed power tools are hard to control on a free hand cut.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #14 of 18 Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Rock God

running 37's with stock wheels and spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers. my 37" km2's measure out to 35.5". i got the short side of the stick.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #15 of 18 Old 03-21-2014, 05:09 PM
JKO Addict!

pardon the necro here but I found this thread helpful in my quest to 37s some time back and always wanted to come updated it with a pic of the 2013 wheels. This thread was one of the few that I was able to google up with decent pics in it.

My advice - do it. In this pic, the jeep has 1.25" teraflex wheel spacers and a mixed AEV lift.

Enjoy!

post #16 of 18 Old 01-31-2015, 11:54 AM

think ill mount my stock rims now
post #17 of 18 Old 02-07-2015, 01:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Just a comment here...

1.75" wheel spacers work best. Brings the bs of the stock wheel right to 4.5"' which I checked with a straight edge and verneir caliper. I still rub the LCA and frame with 37s when aired down off road. The 1.25" spacers workd just okay with 35s and 37s.

Also, I've aired these things down to 7 & 8psi pretty regularly. No beads popped and no tires spun on the rim.

Anyway, mine are coming off and trail ready beadlocks going on.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 02-07-2015 at 02:28 AM.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-07-2015, 11:39 PM
Granite Guru

The biggest challenge is just to find a shop that will mount the tires because most tires that size have a spec for a wider rim. With the amount of lift you have the spacers will take of the backspacing and they will work well. Just make sure you retorque the spacers when you rotate the tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode