Street/offroad - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Street/offroad

Ok I need to get soome tires for my 2011 ruby. I travel alot on the highway and run right-a-way roads during work. can someone help me out. I'm looking at 35x12.5 17's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Granite Guru

I really like my Falken Rocky Mts. Quiet and great road wear. Can handle any terrain very well other than deep mud they are okay. Much cheaper than Duratrac. They are on the heavy side but they need it for the strength of the side wall.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 12:49 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERICK View Post
Ok I need to get some tires for my 2011 ruby. I travel alot on the highway and run right-a-way roads during work. can someone help me out. I'm looking at 35x12.5 17's.

Dusty makes a good suggestion. The Wild Peak is a great tire. They ride nice on the highway and do great off road as well. What tire do you have now and how have they been for you?

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I the stock rubicon tires goodyears muds. i'm putting lift on the jk so need something around 35''.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
I the stock rubicon tires goodyears muds. i'm putting lift on the jk so need something around 35''.
Were you planning on purchasing new wheels as well?

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #6 of 11 Old 06-08-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

i have 2011 call of duty so i'd like to keep them.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-09-2012, 01:08 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
i have 2011 call of duty so i'd like to keep them.
There are a couple issues with this fitment.

The 35x12.50-17 tire size is a little to wide for the factory 17x7.5" wheels. Running a wide tire on a narrow rim pinches the sidewalls up which makes the tire/belts flex/rub in areas not design to do so. This generates excessive heat build up which can break the tire down faster and can cause irregular wear.

Your factory 17x7.5 wheels also have to high of an offset (+45mm which equals 6" of backspace) to run 35x12.50-17's. Spacers would be needed to move the wheels outwards which we do not recommended. For this size tire we recommend running an 8.5" or 9" wide wheel with around 4.5" of backspace.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #8 of 11 Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I see. Well what back spacing I'm I looking at on a after market wheel?
post #9 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 06:57 AM
JKO Addict!

4.5" or less for 35's

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #10 of 11 Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
I see. Well what back spacing I'm I looking at on a after market wheel?
4.5" of backspace will be ideal.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #11 of 11 Old 06-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
There are a couple issues with this fitment.

The 35x12.50-17 tire size is a little to wide for the factory 17x7.5" wheels. Running a wide tire on a narrow rim pinches the sidewalls up which makes the tire/belts flex/rub in areas not design to do so. This generates excessive heat build up which can break the tire down faster and can cause irregular wear.

Your factory 17x7.5 wheels also have to high of an offset (+45mm which equals 6" of backspace) to run 35x12.50-17's. Spacers would be needed to move the wheels outwards which we do not recommended. For this size tire we recommend running an 8.5" or 9" wide wheel with around 4.5" of backspace.
I and many others run the 35x12.50x17's on stock rubi rims with 1.5" spacers (Spidertrac). I drive 100 miles round trip to work daily, and crawl rocks on trhe weekend. I have 10K on my tires, 75% tread left, run great on the highway and do very well on the rocks. Eventually I'll get some wheels, but only for the looks. My rubi rims work just fine with 35's.

Mark
2012 2dr Rubicon, OME Long Travel, Rockhard skids, Nitto Trail Grappler 37's on Hutchinson Rock Monsters, White Knuckle sliders, Wurx Aggression bumpers, Rough Country winch, OR-Fab front cage, Poly Performance rear cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode