any tips on powdercoating spyderlocks? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

any tips on powdercoating spyderlocks?

we are going to attempt this tonight and i've been reading alot about it, just never done it before. powdercoating 5 spyderlocks in satin black using a lamp.

any tips for prep or the process would be greatly appreciated

thanks
jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-16-2012, 06:18 AM
JKO Addict!

sand blast every thing....what more prep do you need?

and use the oven to bake them at 400 degrees

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-16-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Is that what you used on yours? I could literally find nothing on powdercoating brand new/bare metal wheels. I was even told by the Eastwood folks(after I posted this) to just clean em and go.

And we are using a lamp Instead of an oven as they would barely fit in the oven, but we had no idea how to get em in there without touching them

Vandy

2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 06-30-2012, 02:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Is that what you used on yours? I could literally find nothing on powdercoating brand new/bare metal wheels. I was even told by the Eastwood folks(after I posted this) to just clean em and go.

And we are using a lamp Instead of an oven as they would barely fit in the oven, but we had no idea how to get em in there without touching them

Vandy

different metal requires different times in the oven. Use a small piece of round metal under the back side of the rim where the lugs are.. When you bolt the wheel up..after time...its going to flake off anyways..plus you'll never see it.

If your using a lamp...its gonna take a long time..unless you stick the wheel in a metal box to hold the heat better..and even then its going to take a long time. Call a local powder coater...they might give you some better times.

I sand blasted mine..then gave them to my powder coater..

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #5 of 19 Old 07-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Sand blasting really gives the powdercoat a place to bite into and hold on. Kind of liking scuffing paint up first before you paint over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-01-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

looks like i need to find a sandblaster in my area then. the powdercoating oven still has not arrived so i'm rollin on rubi takeoffs...killin me

thanks guys

2010 Silver JKU
post #7 of 19 Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Think we may get to attempt this tonight in the oven. It's literally been one thing after the other, but I think we are finally ready.

Would I need to plug up the bolt holes with anything so the coating don't get in there or is that not really an issue?

Vandy

2010 Silver JKU
post #8 of 19 Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Think we may get to attempt this tonight in the oven. It's literally been one thing after the other, but I think we are finally ready.

Would I need to plug up the bolt holes with anything so the coating don't get in there or is that not really an issue?

Vandy
i would just run tape around the outside lip where the bolt holes are.. i wouldnt powercoat that outside lip anyway.. good luck should turn out nice.. love the spyderlocks
post #9 of 19 Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
i would just run tape around the outside lip where the bolt holes are.. i wouldnt powercoat that outside lip anyway.. good luck should turn out nice.. love the spyderlocks
so you're saying to do them with the ring on top already and just skip the inner part?

i'm kinda undecided on what part to coat and leave uncoated, as in doing just the whole wheel versus just the part facing outwards. seems i've seen em done both ways

2010 Silver JKU
post #10 of 19 Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Rock God

all the ones ive bought and done... leave the outer part of the wheel not powdercoated the outside ring where the bolts go in... not the rock ring... im just talking about the wheel by its self. i would powdercoat everything except that outer flat surface . where the inserts are for the bolts for the rock ring
post #11 of 19 Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

think i gotcha now! thanks block

2010 Silver JKU
post #12 of 19 Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Rock God

no problem.. post a pic up after your done.. im sure they will look great !
post #13 of 19 Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

well somehow we had what looked like a run?!?! so back to the drawing boards and gonna try again tomorrow night on another ring...got my fingers crossed

2010 Silver JKU
post #14 of 19 Old 08-12-2012, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Think we figured it out last night after some trial and error lol. Here's the guinea pig...

Vandy

2010 Silver JKU
post #15 of 19 Old 08-19-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Finally got em done. I'm very sore, but learned a lot and they turned out great

Oh, and thanks for all you guys help. Damn near anything I do to my jeep is new territory for me and it gets frustrating at times. Appreciate it!

Vandy

2010 Silver JKU
post #16 of 19 Old 08-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Rock God

hey man they turned out great ! very nice work ... they look real nice on your rig my favorite wheel
post #17 of 19 Old 08-19-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
hey man they turned out great ! very nice work ... they look real nice on your rig my favorite wheel
thanks block! couldn't have done it without help. as long as i can get these things balanced tomorrow i'll be a happy mfr

2010 Silver JKU
post #18 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Rock God

Garage

Did they balance out good? I am looking at beadlocks for mine. Having a hard time deciding on something for mine since its still my DD.
I drive it to all the parks around here from Memphis, and a trip up to Paducah, ky twice a month.

Looks badass by btw!!

You smell that?
post #19 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Thanks rotten

I don't know if you call this good and I know some on here probably think its unacceptable, but they used stick on weights front and back. The rings kind of hide em but you can see em if you are looking for them. I don't notice them though and they ride great

After reading multiple horror stories about these unicorns of a tire I'll admit I was apprehensive to say the least. Love em so far though.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346474166.497113.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  202.8 KB

Vandy

2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode