BFG KM2 or Wrangler MT/R? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

BFG KM2 or Wrangler MT/R?

so i am getting a new set of tires, but i'm not sure which to get. The size will be 315/75/16. The tires i have narrowed it down to are the BFG KM2s and the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. Can you guys help me? post pictures please. also any info on tread life and noise is appreciated also.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-07-2012, 04:38 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

You'll be fine with either. The KM2 won't be as big as the MTR, they never are.

Both are relatively quiet on the road if you keep them maintained and rotated every 3000 miles or so.

Can't go wrong either way.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 Old 05-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Rock God

MTR typically stands truer to size?? That's my biggest complaint on my current tires. They are actually closer to 34"

Sent from my iBrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Wheeler

The 35x12.5x17 KM2 I installed two weeks ago measure exactly 34 inches.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm on my second set of KM2's. I have no reason to consider anything else. They work great for me on rocks as well as mud, and my last set provided me with around 40k miles of service and still had enough tread left that I was able to sell them for $75 each. In fact, if it weren't for the sipes getting worn off the two front tires, which made it hard to grip on slippery rocks, I'd still be running them. The sidewalls are very tough, I've dinged and cut through the outer jacket a few time, bad enough to rip off valve stems, crush center caps and bend steel rims, but never punctured a tire.

I've never run the MTR's, nor has anyone in our club. We did have an opportunity to see several well-built rigs at a Goodyear-sponsored event here on the East Coast, all were running MTR's. The tires did not do as well as the non-sponsored rigs wearing KM2's on the often muddy obstacles and hill climbs. The MTR tread did not clear nearly as well as the KM2's.

If you are wheeling mixed terrain, particularly East Coast locations, I feel the KM2's are the best tire you can buy. It is somewhat upsetting that you pay the same price for 35" KM2's as you do MTR's but wind up with less diameter, but if that's a big concern you could go up to 37" for a few dollars more per tire.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #6 of 22 Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I ran 35" MT/R's and now the 37 inchers. I love them. They do well on the road and great on the rocks and dirt climbs. I have not had balancing issues but I do rotate every oil change and also have them balanced at the same time. Paid for a lifetime balance and use the crap out of it.

My 35's measures 34.5, my 37's measure 36.5.

Bump is exactly right on the mud issue. I followed a friend in some mud and muddy hill climbs and his KM2's were clearly better in the mud. It's not like I got stuck or was embarrassed, just that the KM2's were very, very capable in the mud.

I'm not a mud guy, that day was not my norm. If you play in the mud the KM2 is better. If it's rocks, the MTR is really hard to beat.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #7 of 22 Old 05-07-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

I think i may go with the MT/R's after looking around they seem to be the most recommended tire. at least over KM2s. Sorry Bump haha.

TCdawg, i understand the praise of the KM2 in the mud but you didn't really elaborate on how the MT/Rs work. Can you give some input on that? or can anyone?

also right now i have the stock 225/75/16 Wrangler SR-As... so anything is better than... THOSE things. I can't believe they would ever put those on a jeep, i guess if its stock they dont care.

Last edited by Mr Cl0ckw0rk; 05-07-2012 at 09:57 PM.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

my MTR 315/75r16 measure 34.8" and rubbed with a TF 2.5 coil lift, but probably because I have 4" BS wheels. I now have a RK 3.5 with no rub as pictured below.
Great tire with good wear.
Here's some shots with an RK 3.5 lift

A shot of the width and stance (sorry still in the build process)

RUBI / 37" Grappler's / 3.5 RK X / 5.38's
RockKrawler : PoisonSpyder : RCV :LOD : Iggee : sPOD : Nitto : WARN : Yukon : Rock Hard : Tatton : PolyPerformance
REBEL OFFROAD
post #9 of 22 Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cl0ckw0rk View Post

TCdawg, i understand the praise of the KM2 in the mud but you didn't really elaborate on how the MT/Rs work. Can you give some input on that? .
They do fine in the mud, in my particular instance it just took more wheel spin than the guy in the KM2's. If you play in the mud there are better choices. If you you just deal with mud when you have too, like me, I Iike my MTR's.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #10 of 22 Old 05-08-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
They do fine in the mud, in my particular instance it just took more wheel spin than the guy in the KM2's. If you play in the mud there are better choices. If you you just deal with mud when you have too, like me, I Iike my MTR's.
Thanks Man, I'm pretty positive i'll go with the MT/Rs now haha.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Wheeler

I REALLY wanted MTRs but they've been on back order since September. KM2 is still a great tire and available if I require a replacement.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentastar View Post
I REALLY wanted MTRs but they've been on back order since September. KM2 is still a great tire and available if I require a replacement.
That also seems to be another issue with the MTR's. For some reason Goodyear doesn't make them year 'round. KM2's seem to always be in stock. Either BFG does a better job of estimating demand or they make them all year.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #13 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
That also seems to be another issue with the MTR's. For some reason Goodyear doesn't make them year 'round. KM2's seem to always be in stock. Either BFG does a better job of estimating demand or they make them all year.
I have had my GY's for a year now. same thing for me, was wanting set of 5x37" and almost settled on 35's or a different tire. I have had p265/75r16 km2's on a jeep Grand Cherokee and I liked them in just about anything. I wanted MTR's cause of my experience with the previous make of mtr. I have to say I am not that impressed with this new MTR. Great if you only do rocks but for a daily driver and we get slushy snow and ice which these are not so good. I think KM2's next time and maybe 38's to keep the size up.

post #14 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

^^^^ KM2s are a mud tire and not good at all on snow or wet. I left the road doing +60 mph this winter sideways not on purpose either. Thank goodness for the wide open range. The reviews of the MTRs have them slightly better in snow/wet due to their unique pattern than the KM2.

I am in the market for the best all-around aggressive tread tire in a 37" myself...still up in the air on what I'm going to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #15 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Rock God

I started with MTR's and am now running km2's ... The km runs quieter and softer on the highway and grip rocks like super glue. I haven't taken them in the mud yet, but everything else.....I prefer the km2's?
Oh, and the reason I bought them was the MTR's weren't available

2010 JK Rubicon- meh 2dr sold
2012 JKU Rubicon- bored sold
2015 JKU Rubicon- 3rd times a charm?
post #16 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Granite Guru

I had the MTR Ks and they wouldn't balance! They were great on the trail bit horrible on the road. Got rid of them for km2s and couldn't be happier. Surprised how quiet and well they drive for an aggressive MT.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk.

Mike
USCG 04-Present
Just another JK on 35's
post #17 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
^^^^ KM2s are a mud tire and not good at all on snow or wet. I left the road doing +60 mph this winter sideways not on purpose either. Thank goodness for the wide open range. The reviews of the MTRs have them slightly better in snow/wet due to their unique pattern than the KM2.

I am in the market for the best all-around aggressive tread tire in a 37" myself...still up in the air on what I'm going to get.
well hype is hype and that is what your being sold on with the mtr's. the KM2 gripped better in snow and ice. not much difference in deep snow. it is on pavement performance that seperates the KM2 and MTRcK (c=with K=kevlar). if you thought the KM2 was not great then you will be greatly dissappointed in the MTRcK. I have ran both. siping would help greatly for either tire. where did you see them slightly better in snow/wet over the KM2's. I would question the source. I have nothing to gain by stating this. I am just a consumer like you.

but if you still want MTRcK 37's how about a great deal on my 1 year old set of 5. 17". I live above ND though and you pay shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwapache View Post
I started with MTR's and am now running km2's ... The km runs quieter and softer on the highway and grip rocks like super glue. I haven't taken them in the mud yet, but everything else.....I prefer the km2's?
Oh, and the reason I bought them was the MTR's weren't available.
Yeah and can you imagine if you needed another tire? LOL My MTR's were quiet at first and one other reason I bought MTR's cause they were to be quieter than the KM2's. now one year into owning these tires I would go KM2 for a quieter tire. I also found no problem with grip on rocks with the KM2. overall happier with KM2
post #18 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Granite Guru

My only problem with km2s is the weak sidewall. I've ruined two with almost full tread. And I do east coast soft trails lol

Sent from work or the shitter or something.

post #19 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 AM
VKS Fab

IMO I would not run a tire that is not readily available 365 days a year. GY really fuct themselves by having a national backorder for 6+ months. I know some local guys that had to buy a new set of tires (something other than goodyear) because they blew a sidewall and could not track down a single tire. On a side note, I love my KM2's, I run the 365/75/16's (37.6) and love them. I will be buying them again if I don't step up to a 40.

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #20 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
... where did you see them slightly better in snow/wet over the KM2's. I would question the source.
It was one of the magazine spreads, they did 20 tires or so different treads and brands with ratings (not rankings) on all of them.

Like I said I'm still looking for myself. I only mentioned because you seem to think the mud tire may be good on snow/ice and it ain't. Of course, as you said siping would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #21 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
It was one of the magazine spreads, they did 20 tires or so different treads and brands with ratings (not rankings) on all of them.

Like I said I'm still looking for myself. I only mentioned because you seem to think the mud tire may be good on snow/ice and it ain't. Of course, as you said siping would help.
MTR or KM2 are mud tires. magazines are influenced by manufacturers at times. I have ran the previous MTR, the KM2, and now a year on the MTRcK. so this is my choices for these tires... I would take the MTR (older version), KM2, then MTRcK. if you do rocks only then you really cant say anything bad about any of these. their all good choices. wet rocks then leave the MTRcK out. mud the KM2's seam to be the best followed by the MTRcK, then MTR. Old MTR had trouble self cleaning the tread of mud.

any way not to beat a dead horse. Hopefully you can trust in myself and others who are stating the very same when reviewing the MTRcK.
post #22 of 22 Old 05-16-2012, 07:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Get the KM2s. MTRs w K are a bitch to balance. I dont have any complaints with there road manners and now tht I got em road force balanced they ride way better but still have a slight wobble btw 50-60 mph. Plus the KM2s will last way longer than the MTRs w K and as others had Mentioned, the issue with available with the MTRs w K makes them not a very good choice

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode