Falken wild peak tire - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Falken wild peak tire

anyone running the falken wild peaks. I would like to hear some opinions on them; how they are on the street, mud, snow and trail. pros or cons. I was looking into get a set of 35 for my jku
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Rock God

Street and rock were fine but they sucked in mud. Down here in the Southeast they just did not cut it in the mud. Not a bad tire just not a good choice for mud. I ditched them for Pitbull rockers. Love the rockers.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 02:38 PM
JKowners Vendor

I am running a set or 35's on my LJ. I've ridden in countless JK's with them and they are an excellent all terrain. No All terrain is going to be great in mud but from my experience the wild peak holds its own.

Here's a picture from a day I spent scouting for Elk last year in Northern AZ. Believe it or not I was actually trying to avoid all the mud I could this day. (I hate cleaning it - I still have mud in hard to get to places from the trip below and that was last fall) There was a few really rutted muddy sections I just couldn't avoid and the rest of the roads had a nice 2" layer of mud I was squishing through all day. I never once got stuck and at one point I powered up a muddy hill that a 2500 dodge truck couldn't climb because it was too slippery.

On the street and highway they are great. For general off-road they have been awesome for me. I've even had them in some snow and on ice a few times. They did great there for me too. I've wheel with them in 7 states and haven't had any trouble with them. They wear great and their sidewalls are super strong.

The main thing when searching for any tire is to find one that fits your needs best. Not every tire will be great for everyone. If you think you'll be in mud a lot, thick nasty mud, you might want a MT or an AT/MT hybrid like the Goodyear Duratrac.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 04-27-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Rock God

That picture shows what my issue was with them in the mud. They don't clear. Even when I spun up the wheels this Alabama mud was too sticky to clear out. Well said in that is all depends on what terrain you anticipate using them in.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
That picture shows what my issue was with them in the mud. They don't clear. Even when I spun up the wheels this Alabama mud was too sticky to clear out. Well said in that is all depends on what terrain you anticipate using them in.
I can see how you would have trouble with an All terrain if you spend much time in the Alabama mud. All Terrains will gum up and hold sticky mud no one can argue against that. Their tread voids are just not wide enough for thick mud. Shoot, even the best of MT's can hold the sticky stuff your talking about. In the mud I was in, even though it gummed up there was still enough bite for me to go anywhere I wanted to go. If I spun the tires they'd throw mud everywhere but not all of it would clear from the tires. You can see in the picture above the tires were practically having a mud fight with my jeep, I'm not sure who was winning. I even had mud all over the very top of my hardtop. I felt sorry for anyone driving behind me for the next two days. Even after hosing everything down I was still loosing mud while driving down the road.

If you like spending time in the mud, no all terrain will be a good tire for you, an MT or a very aggressive All terrain would be a better bet. For moderate mud this tire can certainly hold its own.

Check this out. Here's a few more good pictures of different tires in mud. These are all from the JK Experience 2010 event. In this muddy lake bed almost every tire out there at one point got stuck. I was riding with Falken in their JK at the time with a set of 37" Wild peaks we were one of the lucky ones that did not get stuck in this mud. (clever driving, lots of skinny pedal). We certainly could have got stuck though, any tire could have got stuck in this sticky lake bed.

42" MTR with Kevlar (correction, These are 42's!)

Here's a set of 37" wild peaks after driving in the same mud in JKX2010

Here a set of stuck 37" wild peaks

Here's a set of BFG Krawlers trying to find the bottom

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

Last edited by Discount Tire; 06-01-2012 at 12:06 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Travis, those were 42 inch Mtrs....
And someone has a video but he got
Airborne getting pulled out with a 6.1 hemi

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #7 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 02:00 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
Travis, those were 42 inch Mtrs....
And someone has a video but he got
Airborne getting pulled out with a 6.1 hemi
Indeed, That's for the correction Nick. I remembered they were at least 40's.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #8 of 13 Old 06-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Granite Guru

Got 7,000 miles on mine now. The more miles on put on them, the less I like them.

Cons:
-Much heavier than competitive ATs. Is KILLING my gas mileage.
-Continuous flat-spotting/balancing issues. Cannot get these to balance. Not going to bother sending any more tires back for replacement.
-Miserable offroad traction. Mud, damp dirt, roots, loose soil, just horrible traction. Not a good eastern U.S. trail tire at all.
-They pick up gravel worse than any other tire I've ever used. My rock rails and rocker panels and doors are taking a beating. Plus, the constant "tick tick tick tick" traveling down the road.

Pros:
-Low price
-Thick sidewalls
-Quiet on the road
-Wearing great so far

At this point I'm 100% sure I'll never buy them again. Out of the 18 or so brands/models of tires I've used, these are the first ones I've told myself I'll never buy again. Now I know why the Sumitomo AT was discontinued...they weren't selling them so they slapped the general tread design on a Falken branded tire and promoted it as something new, but the quality is still shoddy.

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
3/4" Daystar spacers/extra OE spacers up front
Airaid MXP intake kit
33x12.50 GY Duratracs on MB 72s
post #9 of 13 Old 06-01-2012, 10:04 AM
JKowners Vendor

I'm surprised to hear your off-road complaints. I haven't wheeled with them on the East Coast but I've had them in some really nasty situations and they've done way better than I expected. When you are off-road have you experimented with tire pressure? Your tire's pressure off-road plays a big part in traction.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #10 of 13 Old 06-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
I'm surprised to hear your off-road complaints. I haven't wheeled with them on the East Coast but I've had them in some really nasty situations and they've done way better than I expected. When you are off-road have you experimented with tire pressure? Your tire's pressure off-road plays a big part in traction.
Yes I've lowered my pressures some but I can't go to 10 lbs. because most places I wheel don't have a station for airing back up before you hit the road, and I don't have an onboard compressor yet. But just for an example...in the neighborhood I live in half of the area is still under construction and I was playing around on a dirt hill that was covered in some grass. Maybe 50/50 grass and compacted soil, and as soon as my rear tires hit the incline they broke free. Tried it slow, tried it fast, and the Falkens would not hook up even on a compacted natural surface. It was pretty sad really So it's no wonder that when I'm actually at an offroad park I have to be really careful where I go. I didn't expect them to be a mud tire, but geez..

If they were smooth as glass on the highway I'd still be happy with them to be honest. But I can't even get them to do that for me.

I will say, DTD has been great to work with and I know you guys would keep replacing them for me if I asked...but I don't want to keep doing that. I'm just going to run them for a while and I'll get a different set of tires from you guys later on.

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
3/4" Daystar spacers/extra OE spacers up front
Airaid MXP intake kit
33x12.50 GY Duratracs on MB 72s
post #11 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Rock God

i have about 3K miles on my WP and so far so good.
they're quiet and smooth on the road.
Hooks up well on rocks but havent tried mud yet.
They are a bit heavy.
Low price.

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #12 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Yes I've lowered my pressures some but I can't go to 10 lbs. because most places I wheel don't have a station for airing back up before you hit the road, and I don't have an onboard compressor yet. But just for an example...in the neighborhood I live in half of the area is still under construction and I was playing around on a dirt hill that was covered in some grass. Maybe 50/50 grass and compacted soil, and as soon as my rear tires hit the incline they broke free. Tried it slow, tried it fast, and the Falkens would not hook up even on a compacted natural surface. It was pretty sad really So it's no wonder that when I'm actually at an offroad park I have to be really careful where I go. I didn't expect them to be a mud tire, but geez..

If they were smooth as glass on the highway I'd still be happy with them to be honest. But I can't even get them to do that for me.

I will say, DTD has been great to work with and I know you guys would keep replacing them for me if I asked...but I don't want to keep doing that. I'm just going to run them for a while and I'll get a different set of tires from you guys later on.
Thanks for following up. If you get a chance to drop your pressure down that may help you a lot off-road. I'm sorry to hear they aren't working out for you. Hit us up when you are ready for a new set and we'll be happy to help you with something else.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #13 of 13 Old 02-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Wheeler

i have had a set of the 325-80-16 falcons on my 07 since 57k miles i got them for a milage tire since i drive 30 minutes into town everyday. on the street they do great there quiet and are very responsive, however i now have 82k on the jk and the siping wore off in the first 10k after that they slip and slide all over the place in the rain, they plain out suck in the snow and ice ( i put on my maxxis creepys when the white stuff flies) they do not hold there own in the mud like the bfg ko or the kelly safari tsr. yes for an all terain i would vote for the kellys (just wish they made em in a 37) if your going to buy a tire for just commuting yes they are nice on dry road. they wear like iron even tho the siping wears out very fast. i had to go to three diffenent tire shops before i got them to balance (they are all out of round from the day i got them) but for keeping 17mpg and lasting forever i put up with the lack of traction in the snow and just try to drive like a heard of turtles in the rain. just thought id put in my .02 cents

bringing this back to the top

Last edited by jtjk; 03-06-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode