Pitbull Rocker vs Maxxis Trepador - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Pitbull Rocker or Maxxis Trepador?
Pitbull Rocker 12 48.00%
Maxxis Trepador 13 52.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Pitbull Rocker vs Maxxis Trepador

I've decided to upgrade from my 35x12.50 Trail Grapplers to a 37x12.50. I've definitely ruled out comp tires for the time being, still somewhat of a DD. The majority of my wheeling is on the rocks, and I'm happier to stay the heck out of the mud if I can get around it. Ideally I'd like to get 25 - 30K miles out of them, and I'll be mounting on a 17x9.5 3.5" BS Spyderlock. The two I've narrowed down to are the Pitbull Rocker which has excellent reviews, and the Maxxis Trepador radial which I've heard a number of good things about but haven't been able to find too many actual reviews on. Quotes I've received on the two are close enough together to not really be a factor (about $300 more for 5 Pitbulls.) If anyone has any additional input on a tire I haven't listed, I'm all ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Rock God

i love my pitbulls.. i also have wondered about the maxxis... they look like a good tire.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
i love my pitbulls.. i also have wondered about the maxxis... they look like a good tire.
They're a bit of a dark horse, doesn't appear to be quite as aggressive as the Pitbull. The few users I've heard from on the Trep's are positive, but I haven't found any extensive testing on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Rock God

If your not going with the comp version the Treps are not nearly as aggressive. I run the Comps and love them but they do wear quickly on the street.

Courtesy of Hit - "You should only fuck the fuckable.. to fuck the unfuckable or to un-fuck the fuckable is like crossing streams in Ghost Busters"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_f70 View Post
If your not going with the comp version the Treps are not nearly as aggressive. I run the Comps and love them but they do wear quickly on the street.
Brett I was hoping you'd chime in on this. I knew you had the comp's, what are you expecting to get milage-wise out of these?

I'm on an RK 3.5" short arm, 1" stretch right now. I'm planning on wheeling it for ~2 years before I go to long arm, coilover, comp cut, stretch, and 40's. At about 10K miles a year do you think I could make it on the Trep comps? Feels like I'd be cutting it close (no pun intended.)
post #6 of 9 Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
Brett I was hoping you'd chime in on this. I knew you had the comp's, what are you expecting to get milage-wise out of these?

I'm on an RK 3.5" short arm, 1" stretch right now. I'm planning on wheeling it for ~2 years before I go to long arm, coilover, comp cut, stretch, and 40's. At about 10K miles a year do you think I could make it on the Trep comps? Feels like I'd be cutting it close (no pun intended.)
10 K might me a bit much. I am at 3-4 K on my current set and they are really starting to show wear. The desert racing and rooster tails at Moab didn't help them at all!! Visible differences in the tires before and after EJS this year. If I did not have the Hemi....they would last a LOT longer!!

For some reason I can not upload pics to this site anymore...keep getting an admin error. But I have rounded a lot of the lugs and have visible depth difference in the center of the tire vs the outer lugs.
Ok fixed the picture issue...work is no longer blocking photobucket. The rears look worse but you can really see the tread wearing in this pic.

I still love this tire and will only replace them with another set (for trail use), but I did buy a new set of beadlocks and Krawlers to use as my street tires in hopes of getting a little extra mileage out of the Treps.

My Street tires...........

Courtesy of Hit - "You should only fuck the fuckable.. to fuck the unfuckable or to un-fuck the fuckable is like crossing streams in Ghost Busters"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brent_f70; 04-25-2012 at 04:03 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Sounds like maybe 15K might be a reasonable expectation. No 6.7 Hemi under my hood, it is blown though. I do worry a bit about having a bit too much traction with the comps, my D44's are built about as fas far as they can go with the factory lockers, chrome moly rear axle shafts, RCVs, sleeved, trussed, superior R&P, and I've just gone to Woods 1310 driveshafts after blowing up the front a couple weeks ago. Hopefully they can handle the extra traction. This is what happened to my factory driver's side rear axel shaft:

post #8 of 9 Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
Sounds like maybe 15K might be a reasonable expectation. No 6.7 Hemi under my hood, it is blown though. I do worry a bit about having a bit too much traction with the comps, my D44's are built about as fas far as they can go with the factory lockers, chrome moly rear axle shafts, RCVs, sleeved, trussed, superior R&P, and I've just gone to Woods 1310 driveshafts after blowing up the front a couple weeks ago. Hopefully they can handle the extra traction. This is what happened to my factory driver's side rear axel shaft:

ouch!!

post #9 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quick thread revival. And the winner is....NEITHER

Picked up a set of 37x12.50 Trepador Stickies, will mount on 17" Spyderlocks. Going to keep my 35's as street tires and bought a 5x8 trailer to bring the trail tires along for the tougher rides. Ideally I would have a tow rig and trailer my heep when I go out, but living in Boston I don't have the room for 2 vehicles and a flat bed trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode