So whats the truth on running 35"s on the Dana 30? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question So whats the truth on running 35"s on the Dana 30?

My 32" Duratracs are starting to get a bit worn and I want to go bigger. My budget is limited ( college kid), so buying a Dana 44 for the front is out of the question.

95% of my driving is on road. Its my daily. Even when I do wheel, its only light trails and some mud. No heavy rock crawling or anything.

Ive heard people say 35"s are suicide.

Others have said sleeve and gusset.

Others say do nothing. Strengthening everything else will make the ring and pinion the weak link, which is a more expensive repair.

So what is most accurate?

Would 35"s on a stock Dana 30 be safe.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Whether 30 or 44, beefing up the tubes and knuckles is a good mod.

Other than that, considering your intended use, I wouldn't worry about the strength of the axle.

Those that claim the 30 will self destruct merely by touching the t-case lever have been fooled by the offroad mags into thinking a 60 is needed for any type of wheeling. The 30 isn't exactly a beefy axle, and it suffers from relatively thin tubes and flexy knuckles, but the actual r&p is beefed up from old style 30s, which last fairly well under moderate wheeling and large tires and lockers. Sure older jeeps weren't as heavy, and therefore didn't put the stress on the axle as much as the JKs do, but it's still no means a throwaway axle for every use.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #3 of 30 Old 04-16-2012, 04:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Do it.

Search... educate yourself.

And you will most likely be just fine. Just understand that the potential that something bad will happen will increase with the extra weight on the ends. That potential can go up or down depending on how you drive it and what you do to strengthen it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

I've been running 35s on my D30 for 2 years now. All I've done is the C-gussets and the only issue I have are the 3.21gears I'm still running... I have plans for the RS-E clam shell as soon as my wallet allows. I've wheeled the snot out of my rig quite a few times and haven't had any problems

I say go for it!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 Old 04-16-2012, 08:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

check out my garage. Been running this way for 3 years and wheeling my rig often. Works great.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #6 of 30 Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Rock God

C gussets and you should be fine. Start doing more wheeling and I'd think about sleeving the outside of the tubes

"I'm just a big hairy American winnin' machine" - Ricky Bobby
post #7 of 30 Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Those that claim the 30 will self destruct merely by touching the t-case lever have been fooled by the offroad mags into thinking a 60 is needed for any type of wheeling. The 30 isn't exactly a beefy axle, and it suffers from relatively thin tubes and flexy knuckles, but the actual r&p is beefed up from old style 30s, which last fairly well under moderate wheeling and large tires and lockers. Sure older jeeps weren't as heavy, and therefore didn't put the stress on the axle as much as the JKs do, but it's still no means a throwaway axle for every use.
X2. The Tj guys have been running dana 30 with 35 37 forever with success. All axles can break. Nothing is unbreakable. I beat the hell out of my Dana 30 with 35" and a selectable locker then with 33" and a full time locker and then with a trutrac LSD. Sure I broke a few axle shafts but then I put Rcvs in it and that stopped that. Sure I broke a few 5.13 ring and pinions but then I put my 4.10's back in and that solved that problem. All I had done to it was the Rock Krawler axle truss and the lower control arm skids. That axle was used for hard wheeling since 07 when i bought it and even harder for a few years of competing at Rausch Creek. The axle now is being used by one of Rock Krawlers employee's for his build. They are not as weak as some will have you believe.

Don Broadbent
BMJA president
http://www.bmja.org/home.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mall Krawler; 04-16-2012 at 08:33 PM.
post #8 of 30 Old 04-19-2012, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hmm...so it would seem 35s are a fairly safe choice.

I think I am going to go for it.

If it breaks, Ill throw my bald 32s back on and take it to the dealer. After all, its under warranty.
post #9 of 30 Old 04-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762JK View Post
Hmm...so it would seem 35s are a fairly safe choice.

I think I am going to go for it.

If it breaks, Ill throw my bald 32s back on and take it to the dealer. After all, its under warranty.
I've had 35s on mine for about 2 years now and I am locked with ARBs front and rear. I've only broken a rear axle shaft

2009 Deep Water Blue Wrangler Unlimited X
37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on KMC Machetes
Synergy 3" Coils/Rancho 9000XL Shocks
Currie Antirock
Yukon 5.13's
Sleeves/Gussetts
JKS Rear Trackbar
ProRock 44
Front/Rear ARB Air lockers
post #10 of 30 Old 04-19-2012, 07:28 PM
JKO Addict!

35s, PJ backbone brace, upper/lower c gussets, control arm skids. 513 gears getting put in and I may add a Yukon Grizzly or Aussie up front. So far I havent had any issues, but I havent beat on it very much either.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #11 of 30 Old 04-20-2012, 03:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'm new to the whole build-up thing as well but...

35's are on mine now and I'll be in the same situation as you, 90 - 95% road. I'll be sleeving and gusseting the D30 and buying a locker (not necessary for you unless you want it).

I started a thread HERE and received a lot of different replies. But I switched my budget.

From what I have read, even aside from this thread, a lot of people have ran the D30 off road in some rough stuff frequently with larger tires than 35's.

Stay light on the gas offroad I was told.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran

~
~
post #12 of 30 Old 04-20-2012, 04:30 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mall Krawler View Post
X2. The Tj guys have been running dana 30 with 35 37 forever with success. All axles can break. Nothing is unbreakable. I beat the hell out of my Dana 30 with 35" and a selectable locker then with 33" and a full time locker and then with a trutrac LSD.
I'm another one of those TJ guys. I ran a set of 36" Interco TSLs on a Dana 30 with a lockright locker for 3 years. I only broke one axle shaft in that time, but I ran mine very hard with little regard for the vehicle. The wheeling you described will be no problem.
post #13 of 30 Old 04-21-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for all the help guys. Look like I will likely be going with 35s.

When I get them though, Ill have to control my somewhat "spirited drving."

My 32"Duratracs only have 11k miles on them and theyre already about 50% tread left.
post #14 of 30 Old 04-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Granite Guru

Damn, thought the duratracs had more life than that. You'll be happy with 35s, been running 35s over 3 years with no real issues. 5.13s and gussets and calling it good. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk.

Mike
USCG 04-Present
Just another JK on 35's
post #15 of 30 Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 PM

I know people running 40's with the D30 with no problems...hard impacts and spinning tires grabbing traction is what hurts axles gussets help but I don't worry about mine after talking to one of the engineers who designed the NEW GEN D30 and he said it is stronger than people think and converting to a 60 is really not needed for wheeling like most people do even rock crawling will not hurt it unless you seriously abuse it...hard on mine and no troubles (yet) just my .02

My neck is red and my collar is blue if you don't like that well then F##K you!
post #16 of 30 Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

Got 60k miles out of 37's
bent rear axle, but not front. Off roading a little....
But I have been running 5.13's from the start

Put 42's on 5 weeks ago. Still no problems. (42's rub at full turn on the frame)

I have a 6" long arm lift, and 1.25 body lift on a 2 dr.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #17 of 30 Old 04-26-2012, 07:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK UNLIMITED View Post
I know people running 40's with the D30 with no problems...hard impacts and spinning tires grabbing traction is what hurts axles gussets help but I don't worry about mine after talking to one of the engineers who designed the NEW GEN D30 and he said it is stronger than people think and converting to a 60 is really not needed for wheeling like most people do even rock crawling will not hurt it unless you seriously abuse it...hard on mine and no troubles (yet) just my .02
You spoke with one of the engineers who designed it? Really? He design the ball joints as well? Hahahaha

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #18 of 30 Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Wheeler

I ran 35s on my 97 tj. Ran through deep water, palmettos, trails, limestone rocks, mud, 70-80mph, anything. Never any problems and it didnt take it easy! This was my daily driver.
post #19 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Parked next to a 2012 JKU on campus yesterday. Had what looked to be a 3" lift and was sitting on 35x12.50x17 Pro Comp Xtreme A/Ts on Pro Comp 7028 wheels.

Now I'm convinced I need 35s.

This guy was running the spare on the stock carrier though. Not sure I'd want to do that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK UNLIMITED View Post
How hard must an impact be to risk damage? I live in Northeast PA, which is the pothole capital of the country. lol

I've hit some that make your butthole pucker. Would running around with big ol 35s be a risk even on road? (Which is where my JK spends 95% of its time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
Got 60k miles out of 37's
bent rear axle, but not front. Off roading a little....
But I have been running 5.13's from the start

Put 42's on 5 weeks ago. Still no problems. (42's rub at full turn on the frame)

I have a 6" long arm lift, and 1.25 body lift on a 2 dr.
42s??? On a Dana 30?!?!?!
post #20 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 06:22 AM
JKO Addict!

blk rub on 40's, Jptwins - ran 40's on d30 axles for a long time ...and wheeled the crap out of it.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #21 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

35 mtr-k's aired down to 8psi, 4.88's, PJ truss and gussets, stock axles, open diff:

Was not bouncing or burning the wheels, happened to be feathering the clutch when it let go. Not saying it will happen to you, just wanted to point out it does happen.

Some have great luck with the D30. I didn't. If you have intensions of pushing thru big rocks, keep in mind you D30 WILL be your weak link, an the bigger your tires the bigger the weakness.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.

Last edited by JKred07; 05-16-2012 at 06:59 AM.
post #22 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 01:10 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Out of curiosity, what kind of diff cover were/are you using? I know it's been said fairly often that a good strong aftermarket cover is supposed to help a lot with gear deflection/center section flexing, wondering what you had on that axle. I've always run an HD cover and have never had any issues with a D30 aside from the occasional broken shaft as a result of too much stupid pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
35 mtr-k's aired down to 8psi, 4.88's, PJ truss and gussets, stock axles, open diff:

Was not bouncing or burning the wheels, happened to be feathering the clutch when it let go. Not saying it will happen to you, just wanted to point out it does happen.

Some have great luck with the D30. I didn't. If you have intensions of pushing thru big rocks, keep in mind you D30 WILL be your weak link, an the bigger your tires the bigger the weakness.

1-800-341-7757 Ext. 123
Ask for Justin
post #23 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Owner: TWF

It's like anything. It is all what you are doing with it. I know guys that have mud trucks with a 10 bolt 12 bolt combos pushing 750 HP and the axles hold up.

How?

They wheel in mud. It doesn't bite like rocks do. I had a YJ with a chevy 400 bored to a 406 and I ran the stock 30/35 axles. That motor had close to 500 HP. Oh.... It had 35" tires on it. Was it smart? Nope. Did I have to baby it? Yup.

I know guys that have broken 14 bolts taking their rig off of the trailer (that's no joke). However, that same person beats the shit out of their rig.

Myself. I have a VERY heavy foot. I am from a small town. We wheeled creek beds and down by the river as well as our share of mud. If you felt yourself slow down you put your foot down to have your tires clean out and you were back at it again.

After spending time in the rocks I do not wheel the same as I did back then. However I have to build things stronger as the tires do not slip and the parts take a much bigger beating than the mud and sand wheeling I did in my youth.

In short.... If you drive like an asshat then 35s are not going to be a good fit for you. If you take it easy or dd it, game on. Afterall... Who doesn't like bigger tires?

TWF Double Beadlock wheels, Pitbull Tires Vendor, Raceline Wheels Vendor, Marsh Racing Wheels Vendor, Poison Spyder Vendor, Custom Splice Winch Rope Vendor, Cheap LED Light Bars
post #24 of 30 Old 05-16-2012, 06:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post

Just busted spider gears or did you trash the R&P as well?

post #25 of 30 Old 05-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORWJK View Post
Out of curiosity, what kind of diff cover were/are you using? I know it's been said fairly often that a good strong aftermarket cover is supposed to help a lot with gear deflection/center section flexing, wondering what you had on that axle. I've always run an HD cover and have never had any issues with a D30 aside from the occasional broken shaft as a result of too much stupid pedal.
Yes, a stronger differential cover does a lot in adding torsional strength across the housing opening. And yes, I'm running a ARB cover. To add to that, my axle is trussed.

Again, my R&P did not blow out. My spider gears did. The fragments of my spider gears tore up the teeth on my R&P.

I wheel with a very light foot, I prefer to stall over bash through things.

I still haven't taken the opportunity to tear apart everything, but it was suggested that my carrier flexed and cracked under load, and I'm willing to bet that is the case

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode