4" lift on factory tires? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-25-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

4" lift on factory tires?

Hey everyone! Im new to the forum and pretty new to the jeep world. I had a 2dr '07 for a few years but I bought it with some mods already on it. I recently purchased a 2012 jku (needed the 4 doors for the baby) and im itching to do something to make it un-stock. I went to Les Schwabb and got a quote for a 2" front, 1" rear lift just to level it out a little and some 33 mountaincat by dick cepek tires, and 17" raptor wheels in black. All of it will run me about $2,800. After thinking on it a little more, im considering doing the 4" lift that i also quoted while i was there, still getting the rims but keeping my stock tires since from what I read, theyre almost 32's anyway and I can run those into the ground and upgrade to the bigger mud tires in the future when I get a little extra cash. Basically the price of the 4" lift would replace the price of the tires but then i wouldnt be wasting the $300 on the little leveling kit and getting the lift I really want. My question is, would it look really lame to run the factory wrangler tires with the black rims on a 4" lift? Or should i do the leveling kit for now and get the nicer tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Research, bro!

Garage

Welcome to JKO! $2800 is a lot of money to play with and several ways to look at it. It sounds like you have a Rubicon model, correct (by mentioning they're "almost 32s"?) Let's start by asking what your goals for your JKU are. Do you eventually want to build a rockcrawling rig, or is it you DD and has to be kept sane(er)? Just looking for "the look"? What's the biggest size mud terrain do you envision going to? Things like that.

To answer your question, IMO, yes would look odd to have a 4" lift and 32" tires. Have you thought about keeping your rims (assume they are 17") and investing in say 35" tires and say a 2.5" basic lift kit? It's a bit like choosing the middle ground between your two options. That can be done in that price range.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #3 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 AM
JKO Addict!

I wouldn't pay anyone to install your lift. What they probably were going to put on for you was a budget boost and you'd be paying WAY too much. What 4" lift did they want to put on for you? A 4" lift on stock tires will look a little silly. What size tires do you eventually plan on running in the end? Sounds like you need to plan this out a little more before dropping some coin on things you might regret later so you don't have to re-do it. Don't rush, do lots of research, and take your time man.

EDIT: Also, look into getting a lift from vendors on the site here. They'll almost certainly beat the price you'll find anywhere else, and give you great advice to boot.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 01:13 AM
Research, bro!

Garage

Forgot to mention, since your tag says you're in NorCal. If that is anywhere near the Bay Area/East Bay there are plenty of opportunities to meet and see plenty of JKO jeeps to get ideas. We all love new builds and will happily fill your head with ideas/specific choices.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #5 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
Welcome to JKO! $2800 is a lot of money to play with and several ways to look at it. It sounds like you have a Rubicon model, correct (by mentioning they're "almost 32s"?) Let's start by asking what your goals for your JKU are. Do you eventually want to build a rockcrawling rig, or is it you DD and has to be kept sane(er)? Just looking for "the look"? What's the biggest size mud terrain do you envision going to? Things like that.

To answer your question, IMO, yes would look odd to have a 4" lift and 32" tires. Have you thought about keeping your rims (assume they are 17") and investing in say 35" tires and say a 2.5" basic lift kit? It's a bit like choosing the middle ground between your two options. That can be done in that price range.
Thats kinda a hard thing to answer, at this point the jeep is my everyday driver/ weekend light usage so I guess whatever I do to it in the immediate future will be more on the "just for looks" side of things. We do go camping quite a bit and if its anything like my last jeep, after a few months I wasnt so afraid to "break it" so I started following all my friends down some of the trails in their weekend only vehicles. Once its paid off a few years down the road it will be become our family fun vehicle too but most likely wont ever be used for hardcore rock crawling, but you never know right?. Right now I really don't want to go bigger than 33's (gas mileage and all the other issues Ive been reading about pushing 35's). Im pretty set on changing out the rims though, I have a black jku and the big 17" chrome rims just dont look right on it haha.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomb23 View Post
I wouldn't pay anyone to install your lift. What they probably were going to put on for you was a budget boost and you'd be paying WAY too much. What 4" lift did they want to put on for you? A 4" lift on stock tires will look a little silly. What size tires do you eventually plan on running in the end? Sounds like you need to plan this out a little more before dropping some coin on things you might regret later so you don't have to re-do it. Don't rush, do lots of research, and take your time man.

EDIT: Also, look into getting a lift from vendors on the site here. They'll almost certainly beat the price you'll find anywhere else, and give you great advice to boot.
Thanks greg! I feel the same way about not wanting to drop so much money then regret it. Thats why I originolly decided on doing the 2" front, 1" rear leveling kit to bring up the front end since it was only $300 (includes installation). Im not handy around vehicles what-so-ever so i wouldnt feel comfortable installing it myself either
post #7 of 8 Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Granite Guru

Just to answer your question about a 4'' lift and stock tires. I rode that way for a week until the 35's were on.

post #8 of 8 Old 04-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Wheeler

Just for price reference I just ordered a AEV 4.5" lift w/ blisten shocks, (5) 37x12.50x17 Falken Wildpeaks and (4) 1.5" wheel spacers for $3,360 shipped. I am going to use my stock rubicon rims. If you do the lift install which is easy it will save you $$$ and you get a great lift instead of a cheap one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode