Cooper stt's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Cooper stt's

Any feedback on these. Mileage, chunking, sidewall durability? They are back ordered in 35 12.5 17 so they must be decent.

Sent from my iPad on the toilet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbilt View Post
Any feedback on these. Mileage, chunking, sidewall durability? They are back ordered in 35 12.5 17 so they must be decent.

Im a cooper guy thruogh and through, I ran the ST's on a daily driver Toyota 4Runner and loved them so much that when they finally wore out I bought the STT's but only had them about a month before I got my jeep. I will be getting the in 35's when my tires wear out.

Brett
post #3 of 22 Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I ran the oooold original STTs until they couldn't go any farther on a TJ with great results. I also had the 33/1250/15s on a different TJ in the new STT. They were both great tires and they really favor the Toyo MT at a fraction of the cost.

I think you're looking at a great tire. I would check local shops to see if they can find you a set lying around!

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Granite Guru

i've been running that same size STT's for a little over a year, 18,000 miles later, and loving them.

not too much road noise. great traction on dry pavement, decent on wet, haven't tested them yet on ice or in snow, great in mud, great on rocks. we've wheeled them several times at various off-road parks near us on a variety of terrain and they've never us down.

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Auto)
Stock Suspension
post #5 of 22 Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

it all depends on where you live at.....I ran the coopers on my JK here on Oahu and with the hot asphalt they started wearing pretty quick and off-roading in the mountains I experienced chunking pretty easy. But that's just my experience with them here during the summer time where the average temperature is in the low 90s through the summer but the sun is brutal.

U.S. Army
post #6 of 22 Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Granite Guru

I run the stt's in 315/75/16 and I love them. They ride smooth and are pretty quite for this kind of tire. They hook up pretty well and have good traction on wet asphalt. I haven't taken them off road much, but the little I have done they worked perfectly.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-28-2012, 09:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Chunking was an issue with the set of 37's I had.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Good thread. I've been trying to decide between the STT's, the TrXus MT's, and the Mickey Thompson MTZ's when I go to 37's.

I like how the STT's and MTZ's both have 23/32 tread depth vs. most other companies running about 19/32 or so. Get a few extra miles out of 'em.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Granite Guru

From what I've read online, cooper makes mickey thompsons tires. That would kind of explain the same weight and tread depth.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-29-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Now if I can just find a set

post #11 of 22 Old 03-30-2012, 04:23 AM
Wheeler

Garage
Thumbs up

I am running Cooper STT's in 315's on my F350 and also in 285's(?) on the JK and love them. I pulled a set of DC FCII's from the truck because they suck bad in snow/ice. I had the center lugs siped on the truck tires to make sure they were as good as I could put on, and they are impressive, tho they may wear faster, I don't drive it as much as the JK or 4Runner. I think they are every bit as good and probably better than the GY MTR's.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Granite Guru

Seeing "Made in USA" on the sidewalls just adds to the sweetness. I'm a Cooper/Mastercraft fan myself.

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
3/4" Daystar spacers/extra OE spacers up front
Airaid MXP intake kit
33x12.50 GY Duratracs on MB 72s
post #13 of 22 Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I had them on a 2002 F250 and they were some of the worst tires I have ever owned. Weak sidewalls that felt like you were aired down while going around corners, followed every imperfection in the road, and I had a rock puncure the tire, not a hole, like the whole rock went through the tire and was inside. Junk tires, I had the old version of the BFG mud terrians before the STT's and they were waaaaaay better. Now running Nitto Terra Grapplers and they are also way better.

Jeeps...the cure for a heavy wallet.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-31-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah they have a new sidewall design that makes them durable from what I read

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well pulled the trigger on a set of 5. Found a local tire shop that had 8 in stock. They quoted me just over 1800 mounted balanced out the door. I did some web research and found a place, non supporting vendor, that had them for 1450 shipped to my door. I took that quote back to the local place to see if they could match before mounting and balancing. They ended up matching the price MOUNTED AND BALANCED. I will be picking them up in a couple weeks once I get my lift on.

post #16 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 06:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbilt View Post
Well pulled the trigger on a set of 5. Found a local tire shop that had 8 in stock. They quoted me just over 1800 mounted balanced out the door. I did some web research and found a place, non supporting vendor, that had them for 1450 shipped to my door. I took that quote back to the local place to see if they could match before mounting and balancing. They ended up matching the price MOUNTED AND BALANCED. I will be picking them up in a couple weeks once I get my lift on.

Why didn't you check with our vendors? They try to beat every price with shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #17 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I checked with discount tire and they are on backorder for 60 to 90 days. This place is a local OK tire shop that has a supplier with 8 in stock. Plus per my earlier post. They matched the price mounted and balanced. Hard to pass up.
post #18 of 22 Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM

My only gripe was the sidewalls were prone to puncture back when I had them on my ZJ. I'm thinking of going with them again on the JK when I get new ones this fall.
post #19 of 22 Old 04-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Wheeler

I just installed a set of 315/75/16's over the weekend. Very Happy with them so far. For what they are they ride great and don't make too much noise. Getting my lift installed tomorrow to clear some room for them to move.
post #20 of 22 Old 05-02-2012, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Been on the coopers for almost a week. All Incan say is wow I can't believe how aggressive they look, but how quiet they are. Night and day compared to the km1's. Can't wait to get them on the trail

post #21 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Wheeler

super COOPER STT

I have had a two sets of 37" STT on my YJ for three eyears now and now... I have no doubts:
A set of STT will go into my JK too.
The issue is what size....
post #22 of 22 Old 07-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Granite Guru

I have 15k miles on my coopers (rotate them every 3500 miles) and have 85+% tread left. Love em. They stick in the rocks, scoop the mud, and travel nicely. They chunk a bit, but no worse than a whole lot of other tires. Nature of the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode