help pls- think Rubicon wheels rubbing on my JK. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

help pls- think Rubicon wheels rubbing on my JK.

Hi all,

Sorry if I haven't come across the info to help me with this yet- in Feb I picked up a set of JK Rubicon wheels and tires with the BFG's on them. I have a 2007 JK. I put the new rims and tires on and thought I did enough research to where there was no problem.

I used the original lug nuts bc I read they were fine, but I am noticing every now and again, especially on off-on ramps for the highway, I'm getting some rubbing.

Do I need spacers for these wheels? I have no lift kit or any mods on my JK at this time.

Thanks in advance,

notherone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-24-2012, 09:55 AM
JKowners Vendor

Are you running the factory 255/75-17 BFG KM tires? Any idea where you're rubbing?

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 03-26-2012 at 09:18 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Rock God

what rubber you got?

the original 255/75/17 should not rub at all. I got them on my JK and no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-24-2012, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod17 View Post
what rubber you got?

the original 255/75/17 should not rub at all. I got them on my JK and no issues.
Thank you very much all for the help and replies- yep those are the same tires on mine. Every now and then I have what feels like a rubbing sensation, I think it's in the front left area, and when it happens the ESP light comes on in the instrument panel. It's really weird because I did check around on the Web before buying these wheels and tires.

They also have TPMS in them, and my Jeep doesn't have that functionality, so I figured that would not be a problem and that my Jeep would simply not receive the signal coming fromt the sensors. But now that things are feeling like something is rubbing somewhere, I'm now evaluating everything. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid. What's got me worried though is I drive this Jeep 65 miles 1-way to work every day, and I can't afford to have a problem while driving.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Rock God

Check and see if the lower air dam on the front bumper is getting hit. We threw some 35s on a friends jeep and at speed and turn the would contact the air dam. Just run your hand across the outer edge of it. If it feels rough, you tires are rubbing. It is easy to take it off and cut off a few inches then reinstall. After we did this to his jeep there was no more rubbing. It did take us a while to figure out exactly what was rubbing.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-24-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
Check and see if the lower air dam on the front bumper is getting hit. We threw some 35s on a friends jeep and at speed and turn the would contact the air dam. Just run your hand across the outer edge of it. If it feels rough, you tires are rubbing. It is easy to take it off and cut off a few inches then reinstall. After we did this to his jeep there was no more rubbing. It did take us a while to figure out exactly what was rubbing.
Thanks for the suggestion- I just ran out and looked and it doesn't look like that dam is making contact but it looks like there's only 4 screws holding it on so maybe I'll pop that off tomorrow and see if it helps any. I hate being the only one who has remote issues like this happen!
post #7 of 15 Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by notherone View Post
Thank you very much all for the help and replies- yep those are the same tires on mine. Every now and then I have what feels like a rubbing sensation, I think it's in the front left area, and when it happens the ESP light comes on in the instrument panel. It's really weird because I did check around on the Web before buying these wheels and tires.

They also have TPMS in them, and my Jeep doesn't have that functionality, so I figured that would not be a problem and that my Jeep would simply not receive the signal coming fromt the sensors. But now that things are feeling like something is rubbing somewhere, I'm now evaluating everything. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid. What's got me worried though is I drive this Jeep 65 miles 1-way to work every day, and I can't afford to have a problem while driving.
Have you done anything at all with your suspension? If your esp light is coming on while taking off ramps and you are feeling a rubbing its probably your esp kicking in. check to make sure your steering wheel is centered.

2011 JKU Rubicon
PSC Evap Skid
PSC Diff Covers
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
post #8 of 15 Old 03-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Banned

Gotta second the draglink adjustment to center the steering wheel. When I installed my RK 2.5" stock mod, we ran into an issue with the misalignment spacers and couldnt install it. Drove it for months with zero issues, but Once we got the parts and installed the trackbar, my esp went batshit.

I've been playing a delicate balancing act with my draglink ever since. Add to that a seized caliper and a a warped rotor and you get a Jeep that don like de highway no mo.

post #9 of 15 Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 AM
JKowners Vendor

Like others have suggested, it must be something else. With stock suspension your wheel and tire combination should not be rubbing on the street.

As far as the TPMS Senors go, this wouldn't cause any issues since your application is not set-up to receive a TPMS signal. Whenever you get new tires though I would swap them out with regular valve stems.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

Last edited by Discount Tire; 03-29-2012 at 01:18 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-26-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks all. The only work I had done to the suspension was I had the original ball joints replaced with Poly Performance ball joints. The stealership did them because I couldn't get the axles out myself. I thought the front end was straight afterward but now you all have me wondering. Any chance I could check the steering wheel centering myself? This sucks.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have been trying to keep an eye out for when I have issues with this so I can be more specific, and it seems like it only happens on on-off ramps when I'm going to the right, and I've turned the steering wheel all the way to the right. If I don't cut it that hard, I don't have the issue. So, I guess I just have to retrain myself and my wife to be more liberal on the turns.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Rock God

still you should have zero issues...that is a stock size/brand of tire.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Wheeler

if your turning right and you hear it on the left front are you sure its not the front drivers side wheel bearing?
post #14 of 15 Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Rock God

I agree with the other guys talking about esp. If the esp light comes on, you will feel some dragging. Your tire size went up a little bit with the OE rubicon meats compared to what u had. I bet calibrating the computer for tire size would help. Also make sure your alignment is good.

-Jeff
KG6VPY
post #15 of 15 Old 04-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Wheeler

I'm pretty interested in this because I might be doing the same thing - installing a set of take off Rubicon wheels & tires on a Sport.

I think Brokenleaf is on the right track here. You now have larger circumference tires, and if the computer doesn't know it, the ESP is not making accurate calculations since it's not getting accurate data. Is your speedometer still accurate since you made the change?

One more thought - if this seems to be happening much more on right turns than left ones, you should probably make sure that the sensor for the steering is correctly calibrated so that when the steering wheel is straight and you are going dead straight ahead, the sensor is in fact reading "centered".

The very first thing I'm going to buy after I get my Jeep is the AEV ProCal.

Good Luck and please keep us updated.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode