315/75R16 on 16 x 8 Wheels w/4.5" BS - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-27-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

315/75R16 on 16 x 8 Wheels w/4.5" BS

Sorry in advance. I've been combing forums for my exact question and haven't found the definite answer I need to drop the cash on the wheel/tire setup.

I am looking at running 315/75R16 KM2's on Pro-Comp 7032 16x8 with 4.5" backspacing. I will not be lifting my stock '12 Rubicon 2 Dr, but will be adding flat fenders. I know the pinch seam will need trimmed as well as the Rubicon rails and air dam. Will I experience any other issues with this set up? I am willing to do a leveling kit or small BB, but I like the lower sitting look.

My biggest concern is that I've read that 4.5" is the MINIMUM BS to run for that wide of a tire. I'd like to have some more "Real World" advice about this because I don't want to spend the money on something that will still rub. I'm nervous about a 4.25" or 4" BS because of the way the tires stick out more and don't feel like getting a ticket over it.

This is my daily driver and weekend toy so I want to do it right the first time.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

All I can do is suggest a tire, Fierce Attitude, get em through sams club, 5 for 1330$ after taxes

Sent from a Marine powered telecommunication device...

JERSEY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CREW
Better to be Judged by 12 than to be Carried by 6...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tire advice. I'll look into those too. I'm mostly concerned with the tire size and back spacing right not. I just want to make sure I'm shopping for the right stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Rock God

You might have some rubbing on the frame rail / LCA at full steering lock and may have to shim the steering stops a bit to avoid it.

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #5 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Rock God

I'm assuming spacers are out of the question? Cause I agree that you will have a lil rub at full lock.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #6 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You'll def rub. the 315 size is a 35" tire. I run 315/75R16 KM2s with 16x8 wheels that have a 4" bs and its perfect. I also have 4" of lift. The 4" bs has worked out well, no rubbing when i steer. I'd imagine the 4.5" bs might hit, but with enough trimming you can make anything work. Maybe go with at least a leveling kit.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #7 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I'll continue my quest for the right combo. I may be looking at doing the set up in smaller steps because the $$$ just keeps adding up. Does anyone see any issues running stock Rubicon tires on an 8" wide rim? If I recall correctly stock Rubicon wheels are 7.5" wide. I was looking at spacers but I really want black wheels. So by the time I paint or powder coat then add spacers, I could just spend a little more and buy wheels already done.

I really appreciate the input, this forum has been the best resource hands down compared to any manufacturer's website.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Rock God

No problem on running the stock rubi tires on a 8" bead width wheel provided the diameter is correct

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #9 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok, on to my newest "set up". Stock Rubicon tires on Black Rock 909's 17x8 with 4" backspace. Everything looks good to me, but the 4" backspace seems a little drastic. I like it because it will work with 35's in the future, but I'm having a hard time picturing it. Confirming the difference in the BS between stock and new will be 2.25", so that will be how much farther the tire will stick out? Or does the rim width play into it too? I just don't want it to look weird, pics would be greatly appreciated.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

If it makes any difference, I looked at Black Rock's website and it says the offset is zero and "Rear Spacing" is 4.5", so does the backspace workout to be 4" because of the offset? I consider myself somewhat intelligent but my head is spinning with all the different measurements and I'm more confused than when I started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode