Mounting Beadlocks/Need some advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Mounting Beadlocks/Need some advice

So I spent my entire evening trying to mount my ATX Slabs to my MTR/K's and pretty much got nowhere. I got the tire over the rim no problem. Where I'm having issues is with getting the outer bead onto the wheel iip. I soaped it down and beat the living shit out of it with a rubber mallet and got nowhere. Anybody got any tricks to get this done? This is the youtube video I was using for reference. You can see where he just hits it with a rubber mallet an it goes on, no problem.

How To Mount Tires On Beadlock Wheels - YouTube To Mount Tires On Beadlock Wheels - YouTube[/url]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-25-2012, 12:20 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

You don't want to get the tire over the outer lip...you want it to rest against it so that the ring you bolt on sandwiches the tire.

Maybe it's different with the ATX/Spyderlocks but the Racelines that I've dealt with in the pas have been extremely easy to work with. The tire falls right onto the rim with a couple of wobbles and then the outer bead sits nicely on the lip and is ready to bolt together.

Take some pictures of what you're trying to accomplish and post them up so I can get a better grasp of what you're working with.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 28 Old 02-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

We used a flat head screwdriver to help persuade the tire, but as Marcus said post some pics so we can see what your working with

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 02-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Rock God

once you see how they go together you should have no problems... i went a bought 3 longer bolts to get the ring started and pull it into the tire and then replace them with the shorter bolts.... also make sure you have the wheel on a 5 gallon bucket that helps a lot .. good luck. nice wheel choice

i watched the video you have ...i think its easier to set the wheel on a 5 gallon bucket when you assemble it. and i didnt need a ratchet strap.

Last edited by block; 02-25-2012 at 04:21 AM.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-25-2012, 04:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yep. Get some starter bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #6 of 28 Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

For some reason my pics aren't loading properly. I do have it sitting on a bucket and that has helped. Just like the Walker Evans in the video, the slabs have a ledge that the tire bead sits on. You can see the guy in the video knocking tire on the ledge with the mallet. I've got 3/4 of the tire sitting on the ledge. The other 1/4 comes up on the rim flush against the bolt holes for the ring. I have my daughters B-Day party today so I'll try and post pics again later this evening.
post #7 of 28 Old 02-26-2012, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Still can't post pics for some reason. Anybody else got any ideas?
post #8 of 28 Old 02-26-2012, 07:52 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

It's the rubber. Persistence and extra hands will get it done. Five guys, about five hours hours, and a ton of beer made it happen over here.
post #9 of 28 Old 03-08-2012, 08:15 AM
JKO Addict!

I did mine bymyself after some friends helped me steady the tire while I jumped on it to pop the first lip onto the rim...the other lip I used a flat headed screw driver and a rubber mallet...then sat in my living room while watching movies and tightened my rings on..

Should have seen it..40" tire in the middle of my living room. you would have cracked up.. hell I could have put a piece of glass on it and made it my table. lol

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #10 of 28 Old 03-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Granite Guru

I used large fender washers to hold the bead down with the bead lock bolts to allow me to hammer the last 1/4 of the tire on the rim. It took about 8 washers on one, moved the washers up as the bead worked over the edge.
post #11 of 28 Old 03-09-2012, 02:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

I used a C clamp to get going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #12 of 28 Old 03-12-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Ok, I finally fixed my pics..........I think. And I got one of my beadlocks mounted up. Holy fuck stix, whata PITA! I didn't have any help so It took some time. Well here's a few pics of the problem I was having. I could only get about 3/4 of the bead around the wheel and then the other side would just pop off.

This pic shows how it should look.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/attach...1&d=1331607783

This shows where it starts to come off.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/attach...1&d=1331607955

This is the side I couldn't get on.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/attach...1&d=1331608018

Well I took a few peoples advice and slowly started working it with a few screwdrivers, 1 to hold one side down and 2 to work in the other side. Finally go that bitch on.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/attach...1&d=1331608258

Thanks for the help everyone.
Attached Images

post #13 of 28 Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Rock God

Great job. I would have gotten too frustrated. I have a hard enough time changing the tire on my road bike.
post #14 of 28 Old 04-20-2012, 07:59 PM
JKO Addict!

With the wheels I used on my former rig TrailReady supplied four starter bolts, longer than the ones you'll use for the final assembly. Got the tires (IROK radials) lubed and slid onto the inner bead, then started the ring with the starter bolts 180 degrees opposite each other, or, at 0, 90, 180 & 270 degrees. Slowly & evenly ran them down until I could start all the other bolts & nuts. Removed the starter bolts, got them all started, ran 'em down to specified torque, voila, done. Those were great wheels. Once set up I never found a ring bolt loose, never leaked any air in five years of use.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.

Last edited by SoK66; 04-20-2012 at 08:09 PM.
post #15 of 28 Old 05-08-2012, 11:35 AM
V8 dreams

i'm gonna attempt this very soon and i can imagine the cuss words now lol.

2010 Silver JKU
post #16 of 28 Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
i'm gonna attempt this very soon and i can imagine the cuss words now lol.
I would have at least 3 people and 4 flat head screwdrivers. It will make your life MUCH easier.
post #17 of 28 Old 05-08-2012, 12:36 PM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippin Lipz View Post
I would have at least 3 people and 4 flat head screwdrivers. It will make your life MUCH easier.
to stand on the tires? or just because it's tedious shit

2010 Silver JKU
post #18 of 28 Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Getting the tire on the rim is easy. Getting the lip (bead) around the the wheel is the shitty part. You can get half of the tire around pretty easily. Then have one person hold a flat head screwdriver down on one side and another person doing the same on the other side to keep the tire from coming back off. Then you use two screwdrivers to kinda walk the rest of the bead around the wheel.

Oh and another thing. Use soapy water to get the tire over the wheel at the beginning. But when your working the bead around keep it dry. I found that the soapy water makes the bead slip and it just keeps popping off.
post #19 of 28 Old 05-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Rock God

Garage

sick wheels and tires!

My build

post #20 of 28 Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Rock God

Garage

My MTR Kevlars were difficult at first. I tried it like fourplyn, inside the house. I gave up and rolled them outside to lay in the sun, lubed them up with dawn soap, and they popped right into my Racelines. Didn't need starter bolts either.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #21 of 28 Old 08-14-2012, 06:32 PM
V8 dreams

Man, how fucking annoying

I feel your pain now! Tried to mount one tonight and I'll be damned if that 1/4 of the lip won't go on...for a couple hours. Gonna try heating em up a little Saturday while we have the oven goin and see if that helps. If not, to the tire shop they go!

2010 Silver JKU
post #22 of 28 Old 08-19-2012, 06:45 PM
V8 dreams

Fender washers and 3 grown men did the trick...finally

Vandy

2010 Silver JKU
post #23 of 28 Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Granite Guru

I know this is a dead thread but FUCK ATX SLABS

So I thought just getting my new 35" Goodyear MT/R's onto my new ATX slabs was the hard part... Oh boy was I mistaken!!! Getting them onto the rim was relatively easy, lubrication is the key. Now, getting the damn bead of the tire to sit down on the lip of the ATX Beadlocks, I would have a better chance of finding mother theresa at a fucking strip club!!!

FUCK ME... So been going at it for the past 4 hours and cant get any of them on. I have crushed 3 buckets and a small white trash can. I have tried no lubrication, tire mounting grease, dish soap, and dish soap & water. I have tried pouding it on with a rubber mallet, a bigger rubber mallet, and an even bigger dead blow hammer. I have tried multiple screw drivers and prying it on, I have even tried placing the bolts and large washers on them to hold the bead around the rest of the rim while banging and prying the the bead on.

All I have accomplished was sweating out a gallon, swearing like a sailor (I am actually a sailor so thats not so uncommon), and scratching the fuck out of at least 2 of my rims. And I have nothing to show for it to boot.

Advice, help, a young priest and an old priest, ANYTHING at this point!!!
I will post pictures up soon.

MY CARSSupercharged, armored, and lifted White 2010 TRD SPORT DCSB 6spd 4x4, Silver 2004 Rubicon Unlimited lifted locked on 35" Toyo's, Red 67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible

MY TOYSRed 2002 Ducati 998s, Grey 2009 MV Agusta 312RR (WRECKED)Black 2005 999s (SOLD), 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s (SOLD), 2005 Yamaha WR450, 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R
post #24 of 28 Old 03-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Did you try some longer bolts with fender washers? This will help pull the ring down far enough in order to get the other shorter bolts in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #25 of 28 Old 03-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Did you try some longer bolts with fender washers? This will help pull the ring down far enough in order to get the other shorter bolts in.
Its not the ring thats the problem. I cant even get to that point. Just trying to get the tire to sit properly on the rim is the problem. The ATX have an extra lip to hold/center the tire on that the bead must fit down over. Most other beadlocks you just center the tire on the wheel and bolt down the ring, these have that lip.

The issue is getting the bead on the lip. I have tried putting several bolts in with LARGE washers to hold the lip down, the problem is that as I get the last bit on it just pops off inbetween the washers or when I undo the washers to put the ring on it pops off the lip.

MY CARSSupercharged, armored, and lifted White 2010 TRD SPORT DCSB 6spd 4x4, Silver 2004 Rubicon Unlimited lifted locked on 35" Toyo's, Red 67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible

MY TOYSRed 2002 Ducati 998s, Grey 2009 MV Agusta 312RR (WRECKED)Black 2005 999s (SOLD), 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s (SOLD), 2005 Yamaha WR450, 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in