Goodyear Duratracs vs. Nitto Trail Grapplers - Pick one - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Which tire would you choose for my situations?
Goodyear Duratracs 33 34.74%
Nitto Trail Grapplers 62 65.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 02-24-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Goodyear Duratracs vs. Nitto Trail Grapplers - Pick one

Yeah, yeah. I know, another “what tire should I choose” thread. I’m just looking for opinions on the two brands.

My decision has come down to the GY Duratracs and the Nitto Trail Grapplers.
JK background is this:
*Daily driver, driven ~70 miles round trip to work daily. I am taking each tire’s weight into account.
*I will be wheeling rocks/trails in Florida and along the east coast (mild rocks). I’m not a fan of mud, so it’s not a factor in my decision.
*I’ll be going with the 35” range on both

So with that said here are my perceived pros and cons.

GY DT’s
Pros: Seem to be the best AT tire for wheeling and street use.
Weight is ~15 pounds lighter per tire than the TG’s
Lots of siping for the wet roads here in FL, we get LOTS of rain.
Cons: I am worried about the strength of the tire/sidewalls when riding the trails and in the East Coast rocks. Biggest thing I'm worried about with these is STRENGTH!
I don’t know how well they would be aired down.

Nitto TG’s
Pros: Everyone seems to have great things to say about the TG’s.
Seems to be one of the best mid-range MT
I am assuming these would be a lot stronger than the DT’s
Cons: They weight ~15 pounds more than the DT’s.

Sooooo, IF you had MY driving situation and MY intended trail use, which one would you choose? Pick one!

Any thoughts?

Thanks’ for your opinions!

-Scott S.-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 2Dr Silver Rubicon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Rock God

I am in the exact same situation trying to decide between the same tires. Looking forward to hearing what people have to say.

2011 JKU Rubicon
PSC Evap Skid
PSC Diff Covers
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
post #3 of 35 Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

You'll get lots of mileage out of either tire, but I think that the Nitto will stay more round for a longer period of time which will cause you less trouble in the long run.

I'd go Nitto on anything I was putting a ton of miles on. You won't be disappointed.

Marcus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Wheeler

Subscribed...
post #5 of 35 Old 02-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to techpimp Send a message via Skype™ to techpimp

I bought the Nitto's in early Janurary. I had Mickey Thompson prior and the difference is Night/Day.

These things drive very nice on the road not just for a mud tire - any tire. I seriously can't tell it's a mud tire. They perform great offroad too.

Chris Casey
post #6 of 35 Old 02-24-2012, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I wanted to add to my pros and cons that, the DT's are about 30-35 $ cheaper than the TG's. I'm purchasing them with wheels so it adds up.
post #7 of 35 Old 02-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Granite Guru

I got a new set of 35" Nitto TGs from Marcus. I could not be happier with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 35 Old 02-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Trail grapplers are very quiet on the rd for a mud tire and handle great in the corners. The duratracs are very stiff tires creating a harsh ride on the street.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Adventure Jeep Packages/Parts
480-788-7245 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Perfomance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Customs Ripp Superchargers
post #9 of 35 Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm a huge fan of my trail grapplers. Don't have any experience with the duratracs.

Sent from my cardboard box using Tapatalk

Greg
post #10 of 35 Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Wheeler

I'm very happy with my Duratracs.

They're quiet, only a hint of a hum when coming to a stop sign with the windows open or the top off.

They handle quite nicely on the road. They handle dry roads and wet roads very well. Gravel's no problem. I live up North, so snow and ice handling is important to me, and the Duratracs excel in the winter weather. They're actually certified as a winter tire.

On the trail they grip well. They handle mud better than one might expect for an AT. The voids are a good size. They're decent on the rocks, though I admit that BFG's seem as good or better here.

They air down all right, but you're not going to take them down to single digit territory or anything. There are softer sidewall tires. But I've always been happy with them on the trail.

I love the fact that they are a good all around player. Trails, roads and snow all with one set of tires.

I've had them on for almost 20K now and they are in great shape. Be sure to rotate them.

2008 Unlimited 2" Lift, 33" DuraTracs, Rock Hard skid plates, LoD mid-width bumper, Warn12k winch, Riddler diff covers, etc.
post #11 of 35 Old 02-24-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Bump for evening voters!

-Scott S.-

'07 2Dr Silver Rubicon
post #12 of 35 Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Rock God

I'm running duratracs now. I've run them thru rausch creek twice and a few times thru the pine barrens. I've aired them down to 15 with no probs. All that being said, I'd prefer the trail grapplers for their better off road capability.

"I'm just a big hairy American winnin' machine" - Ricky Bobby
post #13 of 35 Old 02-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Wheeler

My buddy has the tg's on his jeep, they are noisy on the highway compared to my bfg's. Other than that he loves them. Been down to hardrock with them as well as a few other places. When I get new tires I'll either get the km2s or the tg's. I vote get the nittos

2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
post #14 of 35 Old 02-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Voted for the DT's. Haven't had any experience with them on the JK, but had them on the Chev. Silverado 2500. Great on wet roads, snow and ice, not too noisy on the highway. If they made them in a 37" tire, would have gotten a set for the JK. When I get a set of tires for the new truck, they will be DT's.

Never Underestimate The Power Of STUPID People In Large Numbers
post #15 of 35 Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 PM

Great read guys, I was runnuing the Trail Grapplers on my F250 and was going to get them for my new JKU, but like the idea that the DT is 15lbs lighter (this means better highway mileage) and the Threadlightly discount is nice also on the Goodyears
post #16 of 35 Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

my friend has the duratracs on his ranger and loves them!! never had nitto so i am a little partial to the other!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #17 of 35 Old 03-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Wheeler

Had a set of dts, they worked well in the mud but slipped quit a bit on the rocks. On the road they were very quiet, quieter in fact then stock Sahara tires, I kept almost stock mileage even with the larger rubber, and had decent tred life. The cons however are going to keep me fro getting another set. The side walls are weak, I lost 2 tires due to side wall punctures that shouldn't have happened. In order to get even tred ware I had to run 40psi, this makes for a harsh ride.

There must have been a time when we could have said no.

06 LJ Rubi with JK axles and stuff
10 JKU Sahara with Rubi axles RIP
post #18 of 35 Old 03-14-2012, 05:29 AM
Rock God

i dont have a comparison between the two, but i have overall been very very happy with my duratracs. they have taken on everything ive thrown at them (and i do my best to stay out of bad, nasty mud mind you).

they seem to be very very quiet right now, but i have heard they get louder as the tire wears.
post #19 of 35 Old 07-29-2012, 10:47 PM

I was considering BFG ATs and then Nitto Terra Grapplers, but I haven't heard good things about the Nittos. Do the Duratracs stand up to BF G ATs or M/Ts? I definitely think the Duratracs look more aggressive that then BFD ATs.
post #20 of 35 Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Wheeler

The duratracs are ats in drag. They will probably run better off road then just about any other AT however on road you can probably make better choices

There must have been a time when we could have said no.

06 LJ Rubi with JK axles and stuff
10 JKU Sahara with Rubi axles RIP
post #21 of 35 Old 07-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Rock God

Trail Grapplers. I had Duratracs on for about 3000 miles and could not get them to stop shhhakkakkakkakkkiikkkiing and I work at a 4wd shop so we had plenty of time to do it over and over. Trails have about 1500 miles on them and are smooth as a strippers ass(classy one of course)

3rd set of Trails Ive had. Wont run another tire unless it is the Toyo.

Good luck.

'12 JKU, 3.5", D44 front swap w/ OX & 5.13s. CMM & Rimz One Built.
Sponsored by Rigid Industries & Method Race Wheels

post #22 of 35 Old 07-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Rock God

well, now that i have 37'' trail grapplers i can compare. ill do an easy to read back to back comparison.

durtracs took close to nothing to balance, and seem to stay well balanced even after a few offroad trips.

trail grapplers were installed by myself on beadlocks, no balancing medium at all and they felt as smooth as can be on the freeway at 70. VERY impressed.

duratracs work really well on the road as far as comfort.

trail grapplers seem to be just as comfortable, even though they are an m/t.

duratracs are good offroad in all situations ive put them up against, save rocks. they are not very grippy on the rocks.

trail grapplers freaking tear it up on everything and stick to rocks well.

as far as longevity, i cant speak of either as i have 4k miles on my duratracks and maybe 200 miles on my trail grapplers.

just me talking... if someone drives their wrangler offroad more than onroad, trial grapplers all the way. if your ride is a weekend warrior, trail grapplers all the way. if your ride is a mall crawler and you want the best life and on road comfort you can get, go with duratracs. if you go offroad once or twice a year and are looking for a good long life, id stay with duratracs.
post #23 of 35 Old 08-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Wheeler

I've run my DT's for 45,000 miles now and I still have a fair amount of tread left. I also run Moab twice a year and at 15 psi they do a great job on that type of rock. that being said I am carefull of my lines because I know that I've only got 2ply sidewalls.

I will need new tires next fall and am trying to find a set of 305/65-17's that I will like as much as the DT 285/70-17's thats on there now.
305's are hard to find.

I should say that I am 90%, pavement 9% gravel/dirt road, and 1% Moab.
Deep snow and ice (Winter Park, Co.) from mid October thru mid May.
post #24 of 35 Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just got myself some Nitto TG and love them so far. Going off road today and it's raining so I'll see how they perform in the mud.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #25 of 35 Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 AM

I am on my second set of the Nittos and love them. Used almost exclusively on the road I got over 50,000 miles out of the first set. They are relatively quiet and provide great road traction while still providing a somewhat aggressive look. No hesitation in recommending them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode