What do I do... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-15-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Question What do I do...

I have a '12 JKU Rubicon w/6 speed. Usage will be approx 80 - 85% DD and 15 - 20% off-road. Had her for approx 2 months, and have already swapped out bumpers, fenders and rails.

With the Metalcloak fenders/flares on, my stock shoes look more like donuts. So I wanna step up to 35s. I don't have any intentions to lift her, since the Metalcloaks allow for 37" w/out lifts, plus wifey will be really pissed if she has to use a ladder to climb. I have searched the forum and talked to couple of vendors, but I am more confused than before due to conflicting responses. Any suggestions or recommendations from the seasoned members for the following questions will be much appreciated -

1) Will 35s fit on '12 Rubi stock wheels?
2) What are the best tires I can get that have an aggressive profile while meeting my usage needs?
3) Will I need to worry about backspacing? or balancing? or any other issues?
4) Is it better to get aftermarket wheels? and if yes, does size matter?
5) Will the factory TPMS be affected if I was to go aftermarket?

Cheers,
G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-15-2012, 12:15 PM
JKowners Vendor

1) Will 35s fit on '12 Rubi stock wheels?
Yes, but you will need wheel spacers to minimize rubbing on your front control arms.

2) What are the best tires I can get that have an aggressive profile while meeting my usage needs?
Goodyear MTR/K (rotate in a cross-pattern regularly) or BFG AT (suck in mud). KM2's are more aggressive and louder.

3) Will I need to worry about backspacing? or balancing? or any other issues?
Yes. Bigger tires means more tire maintenance. See above.

4) Is it better to get aftermarket wheels? and if yes, does size matter?
Not necessarily.

5) Will the factory TPMS be affected if I was to go aftermarket?
NO--TPMS sensors can be moved to new rims.

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #3 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Nena -

Thanx for the feedback. Any specific size for the spacers that you would recommend? Goodyear MTR/K's & BFG KM2's I like. Is one better and last longer than the other? Will I need to make any adjustments w/the ECU to provide better readings?

Cheers,
G

Last edited by MayHem; 02-16-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Rock God

You will need a programmer to recalibrate the speedo the AEV procal is the most basic with a few neat features on it, the superchips will allow you to adjust more but at double the cost. If your planning on going bigger tires with no lift be careful of how much you flex the suspension offroad, without proper bumpstops your tires can rub things and rip the tires or break other parts.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #5 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

@jeepersheart -

And I thought getting the '12 Rubi for the pentastar, dana 44s front/rear along with slightly better suspension and bumpstops was a good thing. Is this not the case?

As far as rubbing things, w/proper spacers do u still see this being an issue? Also what do u mean by break other parts?

BTW - Any plans of wheeling towards end of March. I've never been and would like to go w/some seasoned members to learn a few things and also get pulled out in case I get stuck...lmfao!!! I would like to stick to the easier trails to get my feet wet.

Cheers,
G

Last edited by MayHem; 02-16-2012 at 08:42 AM.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Rock God

Well anytime you modify any vehicle it makes everything wear faster. As far as rubbing, It really depends on what kind of wheeling you do. There are guys running 3" of lift with 35 or 37 inch tires still rubbing the frame or control arms at full flex. Getting the Rubicon was smart for the 44s you also got the 4:10 axle gearing which will help with the bigger tires. But once you start adding bumpers, winch, rails, skids... all that extra weight will play hard on the stock suspension and make your new jeep a bear drive eventually.

Feasterville that's like bucks county area right? Check out the northeast section we are planning a massive wrenching party 3/10 in south jersey with the jersey crew, it would be a great opportunity to learn a lot and meet an awesome bunch of guys who wheel alot. If your interested pm me for more info.

Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #7 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

@Jeepersheart -

I agree. I can defiinitely feel the impact of the added weight. I am doing my mods in phases - Phase 1: protect the rig, Phase 2: swap shoes (loox like I am gonna need to add programmer to this), Phase 3: swap suspension (depending on my wheeling experiences and if the need arises)

Yes, Feasterville is in Bucks county. I've been lurking the NE section. I would definitely be interested in meeting the Jersey crew, provided the wifey hasn't already planned stuff. I'll PM u once I get it figured out.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Wheeler

Most people use 1.5" wheel spacers, most common size for a JK. The wheel spacers keep the inside wall of the tire from rubbing suspension components. With the Metalcloaks you may be good with factory bumpstops, they allow the up travel to stop before bottoming out the shocks or the tire from contacting the fender flare. Did your Rubicon come with 4.10 gearing I know that is an option now. If so you should be okay with 35's.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

@bigb -

Cool...good to know the spacer size I will need.

All MC fender/flare setups, I've read have some kinda suspension mods and bigger tires. Looking at my current MC setup w/stock everything else, it sure loox like there is plenty of wiggle room...I guess I will find out how much when I put it to the test.

Yes, the '12 Rubi 6 speeds come standard w/4.10. I believe, its an option on the autos.

Cheers,
G
post #10 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Rock God

just a quick note about wheel spacers, some say they put too much weight too far out on the axle making it easier to, in short, break shit. The guys who got me started in the jeep world snapped a few axles with them and never used them again. I dont have any personal experience with them so I could be wrong, just thought I would throw one more thing at you to research. my .02, do it right and get new wheels with the proper backspacing to clear everything. that said there are plenty of guys who wheel the shit outta them with no problems.

Jersey

Crew
post #11 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepersheart View Post
just a quick note about wheel spacers, some say they put too much weight too far out on the axle making it easier to, in short, break shit. The guys who got me started in the jeep world snapped a few axles with them and never used them again. I dont have any personal experience with them so I could be wrong, just thought I would throw one more thing at you to research. my .02, do it right and get new wheels with the proper backspacing to clear everything. that said there are plenty of guys who wheel the shit outta them with no problems.
The wheel spacers on stock wheels will put the same amount of stress as wheels with "proper backspacing" and as stated there are a ton of guys with 1.5" spacers and stock Rubi wheels, actually that is probably the most common setup.
post #12 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Rock God

The same amount of stress yes, the same amount of stress in the same spots no. Moving the stress out 1.5" in either direction affects the leverage applied to the axle shafts. Never claimed to be an expert just pointing out where I have seen people have issues. Remember just because its popular doesn't mean its the best or safest option, just the cheapest.

Jersey

Crew
post #13 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Back to where my confusion started...maybe if I rephrase my question...

So what is the ideal setup, if I want to mount a set of 35s w/out adding any stress at any point? Is there a size or brand of wheels that will still accomplish this w/out a lift?
post #14 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Wheeler

If you want to add 12.5" wide tires you will need spacers or aftermarket wheels with around 4.5" backspacing. Factory wheels have a very high backspace high 6's or 7" I don't remember exactly. The 1.5" spacers as long as installed correctly are perfectly safe and will get you to a more ideal backspacing. Don't be scared to modify your jeep, you're doing the right thing by asking plenty of questions. I have run spacers on factory wheels with no issues and will now be running spacers on aftermarket wheels giving me a very low backspacing to run 13.5" wide tires. I don't believe that most people put spacers on factory wheels because it is the cheapest, I think it's because the factory wheels look great and that's what you have to do to make wider tires to fit.
post #15 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Rock God

You could also go with a more narrow tire and not have to worry about it. If you do with a wide tire and spacers, or new wheels in PA all of the tread has to be covered by the fender flare. One of those laws that's not generally enforced in your area but could cause an LEO to give ya a hard time if someone pissed in his wheaties that morning... all part of owning a modded jeep.

Jersey

Crew
post #16 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

@ bigb & jeepersheart -

Thanx guys...u guys have been very helpful. I was also able to find another post in 'The Scrapbook' section with couple of members who have very close to the similar setup I am considering. After reading all of your comments, I think I am going to do the 1.5" spacer and then eventually move to a new set of wheels. I definitely prefer the wider stance.

As far as being scared of modding my Jeep...u should see her now. I had to swiss cheese the back of my tub to fit the exoskin for the MC rear fender flares. I just want to make sure I am choosing the best and safest available option.

Look forward to seeing some of u guys soon.

Cheers,
G

Last edited by MayHem; 02-17-2012 at 07:31 AM.
post #17 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Rock God

The AEV procal will allow you to set the TPMS to zero. This effectively disables the TPMS.
post #18 of 23 Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

I am considering either AEV or the superchip. I may have to hit 'em up to figure out what my options r on the '12 Pentastar. Seems like most r setup thru '11. Any other recommendations on the programmers?
post #19 of 23 Old 02-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Granite Guru

I don't believe that the tuners have cracked the '12s. I know that Superchips has not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 23 Old 02-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Wheeler

Im doing the same on my 2012 JKUR with MC flares and will be running 37's and stock suspension and will then determine the size of lift I need. What I am having problems with are finding aftermarket wheels with 4"-4.5" backspacing in 17x8 or 17x9. Everything I am finding has a BS of 4.75". Who makes wheels with what I need?
post #21 of 23 Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Bummer...loox like AEV Procal is my only option. I think I am gonna do BORA 1.5" spacers.
post #22 of 23 Old 02-18-2012, 08:35 AM
DaK
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
The AEV procal will allow you to set the TPMS to zero. This effectively disables the TPMS.
This is a much better option than keeping the system active. You will NOT want to run your 35's at 37 PSI, they will ride like bricks. Have mine at 32 and like it very much, know others that run around 30. Personal perference you will have to play with.
post #23 of 23 Old 02-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Rock God

If ya like the idea of having tpms the procal will also allow you to set the upper and lower alarm limits to whatever ya like.

Jersey

Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode