treadwright guarddogs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

treadwright guarddogs

how well on these on the road? i do most of my driving on the road right now til my lift but someone i know is selling a set so im curious how well these ride on the road, loudness, and how they balance.

2012 JK, 3.6L Pentastar, 4" Suspension Lift, 35" Kelly Safari TSR's, Raceline Raptors 17x9, Rampage Side Steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Maybe they just corrected your ridiculous mistake. Who the fuck orders chrome anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

The guys down at Trailworthyfab.com should be able to answer this one better than I can, as they sell quite a few of them on their 16.5" beadlocks, but the only reviews I've read have been great.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
The guys down at Trailworthyfab.com should be able to answer this one better than I can, as they sell quite a few of them on their 16.5" beadlocks, but the only reviews I've read have been great.
thanks man

2012 JK, 3.6L Pentastar, 4" Suspension Lift, 35" Kelly Safari TSR's, Raceline Raptors 17x9, Rampage Side Steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Maybe they just corrected your ridiculous mistake. Who the fuck orders chrome anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-16-2012, 08:43 PM

I had 33" Guard Dogs on my TJ. They ride just fine, but they do have a substantial amount of road noise. The longer I owned them, the louder they hummed, so it seemed. I would buy them again, though!
post #5 of 11 Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Granite Guru

I'm also wondering about this......saw the photos on their website with a set on Spyderlocks. Anybody know where I can get my hands on a set of 16.5 Spyderlocks?

Also somebody have pics of these on their rig?
post #6 of 11 Old 05-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Granite Guru

I have the 315/70-R17 Guard Dogs with Kedge Grip on my Rubicon:

To be perfectly honest, I haven't had them long enough to put a lot of trail miles on them yet, but I have about 3,000 highway miles. None of the 5 required more than 2.5 ounces to balance, and they have zero vibrations.

They ride and handle great, and their traction is awesome on-road, but they are noisier than you would expect from such a mild M/T tread pattern. I'm used to Swampers so it doesn't bother me that much, but don't let yourself think that these will be as quiet as an A/T or Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. The noise is really only noticeable between 35-65mph, above that it's high enough pitch that it pretty much disappears into the background, so road trips don't wear on you like Swampers do.

The Kedge Grip isn't a gimmick - when you look closely you can see tons of little pits in the tread blocks that provide additional traction in wet and snowy roads where mud-terrain tires are typically at their worst. You can also feel the embedded walnut shells and glass particles with your hand on the surface of the tread which act like snow studs on ice. The noise is the only complaint I have about them, and on the few trails I've taken them on, they've surprised me with how good they are. You can see in the photo above that they have no problem flexing the tread and sidewall, and they flat-out get it awn in the dunes. Now that summer's here I plan to put a lot more trail miles on them. Overall I think they are a terrific all-around tire. I would recommend them even if they were priced the same as new tires. But since they cost nearly half the price of non-retreads, you can't go wrong with these.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Daily driven rockcrawler
Nothing but the best: AEV, Rancho, MetalCloak, Synergy, Reid Racing, Artec, Warn, Cooper
post #7 of 11 Old 05-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Granite Guru

Treadwright tires are awesome. The smoothest riding tires I've ever owned! But make sure you tell the tire shop to use the "static" setting on the balancing machine. TWs are designed to be balanced that way. If you don't you'll void the warranty on the tires.

They are loud as hell on the road. But they are inexpensive, smooth, and work great on the trail! And you're helping to keep some tires out of a landfill somewhere, at least for a few more years.

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
3/4" Daystar spacers/extra OE spacers up front
Airaid MXP intake kit
33x12.50 GY Duratracs on MB 72s
post #8 of 11 Old 05-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Rock God

Wxman, how much highway do you put on yours.....
post #9 of 11 Old 05-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Wxman, how much highway do you put on yours.....
When I had them I was daily driving them on the highway to work, and my favorite offroad park is 250 miles away.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
3/4" Daystar spacers/extra OE spacers up front
Airaid MXP intake kit
33x12.50 GY Duratracs on MB 72s
post #10 of 11 Old 10-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Rock God

updates?

I am about to either drop $1,000 on gears for my old rubi 32s (really 30s) and then some day 35s... or go straight to 35" guard dogs on my 3.21 gear 6 speed. Any thoughts?

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Rock God

Will 35" guard dogs be better than 32" rubi take offs n Texas trails???

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode