JKOwners Forum banner

Mopar 60's and wheels, 17 inch or 20?

5K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Redrockjeepin 
#1 ·
I've been running Rubi Dana 44's for 7 years now with 40's. I just got a new set of 40's about 5k miles ago or less and just upgrading axles now. We test fitted my friends rims with 37s for clearance and his rims are 17s and just barely clear the brake calipers. Like less than a finger. Anyone runnings 17's with the Mopars 60's? Do I upgrade to 20" rims and get brand new tires too? I already have to get new rims as its 8 lug vs stock 5. Any feedback would be great. Also if I have to get new tires should I bump up to 42s because, why not?

#2 ·
17s will work just fine. I’m probably the minority here but if you wheel your Jeep then a 60 rear is going to be the weak spot in your setup so I’d stay with 40s. You’ll also have less issues with turning radius as the 68.5” wide axles are too narrow to run 42s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I assume you are talking Dana UD60's as Mopar does not make axles. They are ideally set up for 37's with the 68.5" width. 42's are going to require some pretty low bs wheels. The 17" wheels will fit fine just make sure you are being with the correct back spacing.

#5 ·
Thats a Dana UD60 with a jeep sticker on it. I hope you didn't pay that much for it as you can get the front and rear set for $10,500. Fusion 4x4 would be the place to go with a kingpin 60 front at 72" WMS

#15 ·
I'm partial to 40's on 20's due to the smaller sidewalls.

I believe a full-floater 60 rear-end would be fine in most circumstances. I went to the 80 because PO had a semi-float 60 and I kept bendin' driver's side shafts.

But I certainly don't know shit.

#16 ·
What the heck are you doing then?

I know guys that have wheeled the piss out of old Chevy square bodies for 20 years after swapping in a junkyard 60s that already had 100k miles on them. I'm talking 44 inch tires in deep gumbo mud, truck pulls, jumping, etc... Then when that truck has finally fell apart, they would swap the axles into something different.

You must be doing some crazy stuff. I'm not sure if I'd like to ride along, or just watch from a safe distance. :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.