JKOwners Forum banner

Dedicated 37s help

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  FatCow 
#1 ·
I'm running 37x12.5x17 nitto mud grapplers currently, and they just arent working. Spent all day being drug around by my buddys with tsl swappers. While my tires were packed full they had no trouble cleaning there treads out. My problem is they do not make a 37 tsl swamper. What's going to be the next best thing? They will only go on the jeep when I'm going to the trail so road manners do not matter at all to me. I'm going to be mounting them on a set of method beadlocks. Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
There's no 1 tire that's best for every terrain. What tires are your buddies running successfully on your local trails?

Interco advertises the TSL SXII in a 37x12.00-17 if you want or need a luggy TSL.

Info. gap = what kind of trails do you run? :dunno:
Pools of liquefied cow shit?
Snotty clay that won't release?
Rocks with occasional mud?
Gnarly speed bumps between Cinnabon and Hot Topic at the south end of the mall?

I've had good luck with Nitto Trail Grapplers, Goodyear MTR/Ks and BFG KM2s, but I run mostly on dirt, quartz, and granite; and these days I don't dive into gloppy clay unless I absolutely need to. However, those 3 tires are OK but not awesome in the snow and they pretty much suck in the sand without a shitload of horsepower IMO.

I'm on 37" Nitto TGs now and consider them a good mud tire,

but California and Nevada don't have "ArkansSippiBama" mud :laughing:

#3 ·
Guys around here are running tsl swamper pretty successfully but they are on 42. I'm the new guy running around with them slowing them down lol. Up here in ohio its mostly slime on the top layer when you get some moisture or frozen ground starts to thaw. I just cant get my tires to clean out the mud and end up sliding around on slicks. I'll be in multiple conditions but I want a better tire for all conditions just the mud has me flustered at the moment.

#6 · (Edited)

I live & wheel a little South of you but know what you're battling. Mud is no joke when you're the snail-rig due to inept mud handling tires.
As mentioned, none in size 37"x12.50x17 are gonna help you overcome what the guys on 40,42& up are able to but , if you're truly not driving on the road with them ( my scenario,also) that opens options on MTs that maybe not the best on tarmac but excel in poor or sloppy conditions.

in my offroading club , there are more than a handful of hardcore , at least each month , trail riders who run the Cooper MT which replaced the old STT model . It is extremely durable , great at low psi on rocks but also seems to do better than average in real nasty , SE redclay mud.

fwiw, I run the Geolander G003 in 37 and it's a mud scoffing monster , bordering on a sticky it so soft - not a good asphalt choice - but man can it conquer the slop & rocks. It has a super deep lug depth &cleans out superbly. Very durable carcass. Costly but so-far , they've proven worth every penny going on 2nd season on my trail-only Unlimited JK.

another option : buy a groover & cut your Mud Graps to be more effective is a cheaper option since you don't drive it to trails. Groove 'em!!

#7 ·
I second the vote for groovin' the shit out of 'em. Cheap option to open up the tread pattern.

Also consider runnin' snow chains if'n ya got the fender clearance. That's what we did in the TX mud way back when I was a young'un and into the muddin' deal. Real common trick in Alaska. Don't see it done much in the lower 48.

Best option is to just stay outta the fuckin' mud. That's what I do these days. :grin2:

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know I will never be able too run with the 42s on my (while his is on) 37s. To top it off they are on stickeys. I dont want to groove the grapplers for the fact of keeping them to run around on the road but want to buy another wheel tire combo for the trails. Just looking for a better tire to clean out so my jeep doesnt take off sliding while parked like this last trip😂. Also learned a valuable lesson about proper parking on trails. Sorry if I'm being dumb about this at all most wheeling I have done before the past 2 months was reading magazines.

#10 ·
this or ANY new or experienced offroader question is NOT considered 'dumb' around here. :wink2:
It is extremely important for you ( & any new Jeeper headed offroad ) to ask and understand how things you have never had to
Side-of-hills = face up/down the incline as much as you are possibly able to, parking included. If you must stop sideways, if terrain permits ,ensure there is a nearby tree or something to help stop a sliding or breaking-away rig, too.

#12 ·
TSL SXII come in your tire size. Bump it up an 1-1.5" and you get a decent selection of tires in a 17" wheel. I ran 38 boggers on my yj and stayed with the bigger guys until we hit large ruts or went swimming, but for most cases, I wasn't getting stuck all that often, actually less when you consider the tightness of some mud trails in Fl and not having to make a million point turns to get around a tree and getting stuck in the slop I created.

Moved from Florida to Texas and the Toyo MTs worked awesome for the rocks and the mud I found in hill country. Recently moved to Louisiana and I get stuck in my yard with these things.

Anyway, if you want to keep the size of tires, run some TSL SXII

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.