Running 33 12.50 on stock 2012 Rubicon - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-29-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Running 33 12.50 on stock 2012 Rubicon

Currently have all stock 2012 rubicon with 255 75 17 ko2 32 inch tires.
Looks too narrow to me so I want something meaty mostly for looks. Not planning on lifting as it barely fits in my garage now so 35 would be the biggest I can go but then again don’t wanna deal with rubbing issues.
Im thinking about running Procomp 69 15x10 rims with 3.65 backspacing & 33 12.50 15 Ko2s.
My concern is that with so little backspacing would it wear out my ball joints a lot faster? Any other parts that’ll be effected? I may need to upgrade ball joints anyway but I don’t wanna spend fortune by having to change them so frequently.
Also I’m not a fan of factory brakes. Are there any performance brakes that’ll fit under 15 inch rims? Doesn’t have to be crazy just something better than factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-30-2019, 06:57 AM
Wheeler

Garage

With a bigger tire and less backspacing your ball joints will inevitably wear out, the stock ball joints aren't known to be that great. Just go ahead and buy some quality grease-able ball joints. I went with Teraflex HD ball joint and am happy with them. Have also heard good things about rare parts BJ's and Synergy. As far as brakes go you are going to be hard pressed to find any that fit in a 15 inch wheel. I'm not 100% and I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong but I don't think even the stock brakes will fit in a 15 inch wheel let alone an upgraded brake kit. Just my $.02.

You can have a savings account or a Jeep.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-03-2019, 01:22 PM
Rock God

It is known.

Bigger tires wear shit out faster than normal.

On the correct path, you are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So finally got them installed. No lift yet. I don’t think I’m going to as it sits fine with no rub. Actually handles a lot better now and the MPG didn’t get much worse. Went from high 18s to low 17s. I couldn’t utilize the centercaps that came with the wheels since I decided to use hubcentric rings instead (83mm to 71.5mm). Now I’m looking for center caps to go with these wheels. Any tips? They are American Racing AR172 wheels with 83mm bore. I know some of you guys out there just paint the inner hub but I still prefer to have center caps.
Attached Images

post #5 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Current setup is Ar172 15x10 3.75 backspacing -44 offset wheels & Wrangler Duratrac 33 12.50 15. I did upgrade brakes to Powerstop ceramics & stops slightly better than stock ones. I’ll be upgrading to Teraflex HD ball joints once current ones wear out. Any other upgrades I should do looking into?
post #6 of 10 Old 07-15-2019, 06:03 PM
Rock God

Getting the Hell out of NY would be my next upgrade.
But the Jeep looks good.

:{)
post #7 of 10 Old 07-15-2019, 10:50 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimjim540 View Post
Any other upgrades I should do looking into?
I'd gusset the inner C's before a NY pothole grabs that new 3.25" BS leverage and gives your front axle "the smile" (unwanted negative camber). You don't need to go offroad to find the kind of impact force it takes to bend stuff, especially with added leverage like that.

Center caps: Since you're using hubcentric rings, I'd just paint the hub centers black and call it good.

One less item to rattle, snag, get smashed, etc.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #8 of 10 Old 07-19-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Getting the hell out of NY wouldn’t be an option for me yet &#x1f61e;
But I did buy the Synergy C gusset reinforcement kit & Teraflex HD ball joints waiting to be mounted.
How much should I expect for labor? C gusset kit welding + install new ball joints?
post #9 of 10 Old 07-19-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

My axles look fine so far even after 281k miles. Just painted my axles. I don’t think there’s any bend & I’d hope to keep em like that. But I won’t b running aftermarket beefy tie rods as you can see there’s very little room.
Attached Images

post #10 of 10 Old 08-10-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So I finally had chance to weld gussets on my C knuckles. Also upgraded to Teraflex HD ball joints at the same time. Boy the steering feels sturdy. Now my “newbie” question is... with stiffer steering & HD ball joints, would that wear out my other steering components like my tie rods & drag links? Those joints are holding up fine now but with stiffer steering I’m afraid I’m putting on more stress every time I turn the steering wheel.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode