TJ vs JK for a Daily Driver and Adventures in AZ - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 04-11-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

TJ vs JK for a Daily Driver and Adventures in AZ

Hello everyone. I have been looking and researching Wranglers for awhile now, and I am finally getting to the point where I could go purchase one. I am, however, caught on which model to go for. I would be using it as a Daily Driver and for weekend trips out into the AZ wilderness for landscape photography and general adventure. I won't be going crazy with mods as I don't plan to put the vehicle up against the kind of things that you see in the extreme offroading youtube vids. I am military, so it is possible I will be transferred to a new location at some point in the next three years(might make a shorter loan vehicle make more sense?). The options that fit my price range are the TJ, JK(07-11), and JK(12-15).
My gut reaction would be to go for the late model JK as no one seems to have anything remotely good to say about the 3.8L engine that was in the 07-11 JK's(is that reason enough to rule them out completely?). The problem with the late model JK's is that they will come in right at the top end range of my budget(370/mo at the maximum after TTL), and many of them were driven 15k+ miles per year which seems like it would be a lot of wear. What I like about the JK is that the engine sounds like it is a better option than either of the other two. What I worry about is with getting a late model JK I will be signing a 6 year note and I don't know how high of mileage they take comfortably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-12-2019, 01:17 PM
Granite Guru

Welcome, what part of AZ are you in? And really you can’t go wrong with any of the three. As long as they are in good working order when you get it. I went with the 3.8 because I wanted the rubicon and figured I’d deal with the slug of a motor for the D44s, and lockers. I new going into it too this was going to go from a DD to a Toy at some point.

If your worried about the motor then ya go for the 12-15s, there is a difference. But if your a single guy and just want a fun Jeep I’d say get a 05-06 LJ. You can find them in a good price and they will give you more room for camping trips or whatever.

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode