Beadlocks! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-12-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Beadlocks!

Has anyone run inner air locks? What are the cons to them? Why are they not more popular? You donít have to deal with the 32 bolts a rim that most standard beadlocks have, plus they are way lighter. Sure you have to drill an extra hole in your rim, but that canít be what is stopping people from buying them.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-12-2018, 11:01 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Has anyone run inner air locks? What are the cons to them? Why are they not more popular? You donít have to deal with the 32 bolts a rim that most standard beadlocks have, plus they are way lighter. Sure you have to drill an extra hole in your rim, but that canít be what is stopping people from buying them.
They don't scream "look at me, I have beadlocks!!" LOL.

I haven't needed beadlocks yet. My tires can go down to about 15 psi safely on the trails, and that's been both comfortable and great for traction.

I like the idea, will probably have a set before too long. For now I'm just running simulated inner air locks haha.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-13-2018, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Has anyone run inner air locks? What are the cons to them? Why are they not more popular? You don’t have to deal with the 32 bolts a rim that most standard beadlocks have, plus they are way lighter. Sure you have to drill an extra hole in your rim, but that can’t be what is stopping people from buying them.

The Coyote /Staun inner inner-tube version has had many users that successfully used them but from my research ( I've done lots , talked to racers of Ultra4 and EMC classes as well as exp industry folks) the biggest issue is the inner tube that acts as bumpstop / tire bead retainer can variably (temps , environment,etc) gain or lose PSI and once that slips within the assembly it is a mess to correct. They also suffer from less than perfect inside of tire prep; even the most negligible overlooked rise or flaw can scoure the inner core chamber resulting in it failing. I've heard of guys replacing the same tires Staun tube 5,6 times ...total pain I don't need. Theyre also difficult for the home garage individual to then extract , repair, repowder , prep tire inside surface then reinstall ....plus they bring loads of weight to the corner ...there are those that have only good things to say about them but that is biggest Coyote beadlock solution qualms tht I hear.

Here's a recent article that seems positive you may wanna checkout:
http://4wheelsandamotor.com/reviews/...celine-wheels/

..maybe adk them on their social media sites how they like them after 1/2 year ?

Tireballs are and have also been viable solution and helped with pro racers ( I think Tony & then Jordan Pellegrino rsn them ) needing internal beadlock . The idea being they'd save precious weight by not requiring a big spare being mounted but after several balls went , the tire wasn't far behind. I think they are brilliant but the cost together with the redonkulous multi ball filling assembly and general PITA of the design makes them impractical, as well. Not to mention you can't just call and request to buy them for a 35" x 10.50 x 17 tire. They know they walk a fine line and in safeguarding against possible litigation, they have sold to military, race teams and the motocycles and sideXsides more than off-road community. They 'cannot' be daily driven for obvious reasons. I've never called to ask after reading their site. Maybe give it a try?

Trust me; I wanna run my tires at 0psi so I have checked on internal bls but the cost together w the pains of install generally equate to " may as well get some beadlock wheels" from my perspective. That's just one guys opinion , tho. TIFWIW.

rockystock likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 11-13-2018 at 04:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-13-2018, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Well J3ff you seem like a knowledgeable guy. Donít they have a blanket/ sleeve kinda deal that goes between the actual tube and the tire? Wouldnít nitrogen filled tubes negate the PSI difference like on your wifeís car? (That was one of the gimmicks with nitrogen filled tires right?) I havenít talked to anyone that has actually installed or run them yet.

As per tire balls, I have talked to Tim from TMR as they run them in their race buggy, and he said you still need a regular beadlocks to run them as you need to be able to stick the inflation device in the bead of the tire when filling, which brings us back to square one.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode