BFG KM3 39x13.50x17 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By 89yjon
  • 1 Post By un lupus
  • 1 Post By GobiRecon
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By RiverCityOffroad
  • 1 Post By Treader
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 10-09-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Coopersville MI
Age: 61
Posts: 40
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews
BFG KM3 39x13.50x17

Has anyone seen this tire yet? What's the actual height and weight? Will this be a true 38" tire?
GobiRecon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 10-11-2018, 08:36 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Youngstown,Ohio
Age: 40
Posts: 485
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiRecon View Post
Has anyone seen this tire yet? What's the actual height and weight? Will this be a true 38" tire?
I have a set of 5 on order! Will let you know when I get them
chitown35 and GobiRecon like this.

08 JKU 6.0 LC8 6L80 Atlas 2 39" KM3's on Trilogy race beadlocks, prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
89yjon is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 10-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 660
Feedback: 0 reviews

According to sources (unconfirmed) usually reliable .

BFG KM3 71004
39X13.50X17
Load range C
Max load 3195
Overall Diameter 38.5
No word on weight

As usual BFG's run small as compared to sidewall spec , but still (yea) , a useable size between 37's and 40's that weren't available before , and they won't rub like my 40's do . Maybe I won't drag my rear diff as much too .
GobiRecon likes this.
un lupus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 10-12-2018, 06:40 AM
JKO Addict!
 
ALASHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 8,177
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by un lupus View Post
As usual BFG's run small as compared to sidewall spec
A friend of mine has a set of 37" KM3s and I was shocked to hear they measured out at 36.7"


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ALASHA is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 10-12-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Coopersville MI
Age: 61
Posts: 40
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
A friend of mine has a set of 37" KM3s and I was shocked to hear they measured out at 36.7"
These are BFG 37 12.5 17 KO2 new at 29psi. Using a level off the top of the tire, they measure 34 7/8". They are light, and quiet. The ride is a bit harsh tho.
Had Toyo MT 37 13.5s with Slabs on it. It rode really nice. But I was thinkin they were to heavy at 138lbs. Sooo, I went with Method 105s and BFG KO2s. Saved 34lbs a corner.
The pavement ride of the Toyos was better than BFGs. I don't notice any performance gains from the weight savings either.


I'm going back to a bigger MT. Shoulda kept the Toyos.
Attached Images
 
GobiRecon is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 10-13-2018, 04:24 AM
Rock God
 
Treader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sulphur Springs, TX
Posts: 1,470
Feedback: 0 reviews

Over 2" off. That seems a little outlandish.

As for the ko2, I just put 33's on my Jeep and absolutely love them. You are one of the first people to state that you have not liked the ride of them. Granted mine are a load range C and that makes some difference between the e rated tires.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 2 door manual sport
Treader is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 10-13-2018, 06:12 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 12
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89yjon View Post
I have a set of 5 on order! Will let you know when I get them
Have you been given an ETA on your order? I am really interested to get some real world mounted measurements.
JKINSOFLO is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 10-13-2018, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
 
j3ff3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5,697
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiRecon View Post
These are BFG 37 12.5 17 KO2 new at 29psi. Using a level off the top of the tire, they measure 34 7/8". They are light, and quiet. The ride is a bit harsh tho.
Had Toyo MT 37 13.5s with Slabs on it. It rode really nice. But I was thinkin they were to heavy at 138lbs. Sooo, I went with Method 105s and BFG KO2s. Saved 34lbs a corner.
The pavement ride of the Toyos was better than BFGs. I don't notice any performance gains from the weight savings either.


I'm going back to a bigger MT. Shoulda kept the Toyos.





Here we have another round of the brilliance of the BFG compound tires again. Even after several years, these tires still turn-in ownerheightresults that greatly differ rig to rig, I suppose its weight of Jeep that plays a factor in the variances?



I had the 37" KO2s a few to three years back and ( it's somewhere on this forum in a thread) I got greater height when aired to 28psi ( too high; I always ran 24psi front/23.5 psi rear) than that. IIrc , I measured at 36.25" or maybe a little more when my set was brand new. I have never run such a good tire compound before,. If I wasn't so hard on tires in the terrain where I wheel, I'd srtill have them . Or if I DD my JKU. They are amazing tires.

I run an unheavy rig. with a 69.5lb KO2 37" on my 21lb 17" disposable StrikeVs I was well under 100lbs per corner. but the rocks in S.E. are harsh and chew anything up. If wet, fugettabout it. I became the Jeep JKU Pinball...

















...anyhoo,the KO2s would take the abuse but it thrashed them so I sold before I tore such a niuce set of tires to pieces and sold them to a friend whose wife really needed some tame tires that were safe.

Arent I just swell?


(edit: my implication from all that was there must be something about either the air that ya ran those at - what PSI did you keep them at again, 28? - because ,while the Toyo OPen Country M/T is a freaking incredible and notoriously round tire, as far as street ride comparison between it and a BFG KO2 should be nite & day in favor of the KO2. They were like butter iw/ the traction of suction cups..not sure why your exp was so differnt.



ultimately it all of this is centered around implying that the KM3 , being made of the same carcass as KO2 & whatever magic compound that BFG has concocted for these new model tires should yield a great exp with the MT version, fwiw)

)










To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 10-14-2018 at 05:48 AM.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 10-15-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Coopersville MI
Age: 61
Posts: 40
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post




Here we have another round of the brilliance of the BFG compound tires again. Even after several years, these tires still turn-in ownerheightresults that greatly differ rig to rig, I suppose its weight of Jeep that plays a factor in the variances?



I had the 37" KO2s a few to three years back and ( it's somewhere on this forum in a thread) I got greater height when aired to 28psi ( too high; I always ran 24psi front/23.5 psi rear) than that. IIrc , I measured at 36.25" or maybe a little more when my set was brand new. I have never run such a good tire compound before,. If I wasn't so hard on tires in the terrain where I wheel, I'd srtill have them . Or if I DD my JKU. They are amazing tires.

I run an unheavy rig. with a 69.5lb KO2 37" on my 21lb 17" disposable StrikeVs I was well under 100lbs per corner. but the rocks in S.E. are harsh and chew anything up. If wet, fugettabout it. I became the Jeep JKU Pinball...https://youtu.be/_lIiULMfprg
















...anyhoo,the KO2s would take the abuse but it thrashed them so I sold before I tore such a niuce set of tires to pieces and sold them to a friend whose wife really needed some tame tires that were safe.

Arent I just swell?


(edit: my implication from all that was there must be something about either the air that ya ran those at - what PSI did you keep them at again, 28? - because ,while the Toyo OPen Country M/T is a freaking incredible and notoriously round tire, as far as street ride comparison between it and a BFG KO2 should be nite & day in favor of the KO2. They were like butter iw/ the traction of suction cups..not sure why your exp was so differnt.



ultimately it all of this is centered around implying that the KM3 , being made of the same carcass as KO2 & whatever magic compound that BFG has concocted for these new model tires should yield a great exp with the MT version, fwiw)

)








To be fair, the rear KO2s measured 35 1/16. There's a lot of weight up front, maybe 320lbs over stock? The front tires squat.

The KO2s work very well in pretty slippery chit. I did a fair amount of log crawling this weekend, we had a big storm a few weeks ago, lots of big oaks down. Never aired down. It went over them without spinning at all. Wet leaves on the hill climbs, again no spinning.


The only thing about the ride of the KO2 was now I could feel all those little cracks in the road. In Michigan we have a shit-ton of cracks in the pavement, annoying to say the least. Those heavy ass Toyos made the cracks disappear. More than anything I've ridden in, even street rides.

The KO2s are an amazing tire.
The Toyo MTs are crack flatteners.
GobiRecon is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 10-16-2018, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
 
j3ff3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5,697
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiRecon View Post
To be fair, the rear KO2s measured 35 1/16. There's a lot of weight up front, maybe 320lbs over stock? The front tires squat.

The KO2s work very well in pretty slippery chit. I did a fair amount of log crawling this weekend, we had a big storm a few weeks ago, lots of big oaks down. Never aired down. It went over them without spinning at all. Wet leaves on the hill climbs, again no spinning.


The only thing about the ride of the KO2 was now I could feel all those little cracks in the road. In Michigan we have a shit-ton of cracks in the pavement, annoying to say the least. Those heavy ass Toyos made the cracks disappear. More than anything I've ridden in, even street rides.

The KO2s are an amazing tire.
The Toyo MTs are crack flatteners.





well, that makes sense; yeah, if aired up and on roads like I drove upon in Michigan Detroit and some other places (near a lake that was big) a few winters back, I do understand. Add the heavy front weight to the scenario and I guess those KO2s would provide some serious crack tactile feedback from street drivin up there in the rust belt and where Hell has frozen over ( lol; Ive been bredNspread in SouthEast so that place seems like the arctic to me ...plus you eat gravy on French Fries )


I would imagine the Toyos would be a better solution for that situation.





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 10-16-2018, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Coopersville MI
Age: 61
Posts: 40
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
well, that makes sense; yeah, if aired up and on roads like I drove upon in Michigan Detroit and some other places (near a lake that was big) a few winters back, I do understand. Add the heavy front weight to the scenario and I guess those KO2s would provide some serious crack tactile feedback from street drivin up there in the rust belt and where Hell has frozen over ( lol; Ive been bredNspread in SouthEast so that place seems like the arctic to me ...plus you eat gravy on French Fries )


I would imagine the Toyos would be a better solution for that situation.



Dude, I have never put gravy on a fried potato. In Michigan, the west side is the best side, unless you go north. My Gobi will not be on those salty roads. Plus I would be pissed if I came across a jeep on our sled trails (December thru March). Ya, I'm born and raised in West MI., the only place I know how to make a living.

Back to the BFG vs Toyo thing. I was hoping the KM3s will be a mix of the two. With the 37" KO2s my jeep looks like a tall skinny chick with a short skirt.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
GobiRecon is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 10-16-2018, 06:44 AM
Rock God
 
Treader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sulphur Springs, TX
Posts: 1,470
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiRecon View Post
tall skinny chick with a short skirt.
And what the problem with that?

2010 2 door manual sport
Treader is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 10-16-2018, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Coopersville MI
Age: 61
Posts: 40
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
And what the problem with that?
I'm a short dude and I like big butts.
GobiRecon is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 10-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
 
j3ff3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5,697
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

damn. now I will sing that "I like big butts and I cannot lie.." song for days.....




GobiRecon likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 10-17-2018, 12:14 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend
 
RiverCityOffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,649
Garage
Feedback: 60 reviews

I've been told they stand about 37.5" tall mounted on a JKU. They look really good, are lighter weight, and are C load range.

Just for comparison the 37" Ridge Grapplers on my JL measure about 35.75" on the Jeep.

Marcus
GobiRecon likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RiverCityOffroad is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 10-18-2018, 06:31 AM
Rock God
 
Treader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sulphur Springs, TX
Posts: 1,470
Feedback: 0 reviews

WTF. I thought Marcus left us for the new and shiny. Glad to see you back and get a couple posts in, especially in between More-Ass-4x4 bombardment.
ALASHA likes this.

2010 2 door manual sport
Treader is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 10-18-2018, 10:02 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend
 
RiverCityOffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,649
Garage
Feedback: 60 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
WTF. I thought Marcus left us for the new and shiny. Glad to see you back and get a couple posts in, especially in between More-Ass-4x4 bombardment.
I'm still here...watching...waiting. lol


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RiverCityOffroad is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 10-18-2018, 10:49 AM
Minstrel Gigolo
 
snout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 999
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I'm still here...watching...waiting. lol
He's busy coddling JL owners who have been butt-hurt by WAL.
snout is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 10-18-2018, 10:59 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend
 
RiverCityOffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,649
Garage
Feedback: 60 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
He's busy coddling JL owners who have been butt-hurt by WAL.
LOL


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RiverCityOffroad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome