Goodyear MTR/K v BFG KM2's/KM3 in develpoment - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rb6700
  • 1 Post By SilverBulletJKU
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-16-2018, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Goodyear MTR/K v BFG KM2's/KM3 in develpoment

About to replace my MTR's due to tread wear. They are the first and only after market tire I have owned, and so limited hands-on experience with other tires. I have zero complaints with this tire off road and have had no problems with balancing others report; and seem to "get through" obstacles a bit better than my fellows. I meant to replace with MTR's based on my experience and comments of other MTR owners. But now research points to considering the KM2/3's. I'm pretty much settled on either the MTR or KM and would appreciate feedback from anyone with hands-on experience with both. I am on road much more than off and never trailer, yet am more interested in having the off road upperhand and willing to accept the compromise this involves.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchettt View Post
About to replace my MTR's due to tread wear. They are the first and only after market tire I have owned, and so limited hands-on experience with other tires. I have zero complaints with this tire off road and have had no problems with balancing others report; and seem to "get through" obstacles a bit better than my fellows. I meant to replace with MTR's based on my experience and comments of other MTR owners. But now research points to considering the KM2/3's. I'm pretty much settled on either the MTR or KM and would appreciate feedback from anyone with hands-on experience with both. I am on road much more than off and never trailer, yet am more interested in having the off road upperhand and willing to accept the compromise this involves.
The km3's won't be available till summer as far as I know. The mtr's are a great tire, as I'm on my 3rd set. The km2s have been around for a long time and are also a good tire but I prefer the kelvlar side walls of the mtrs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
ratchettt likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-26-2018, 03:25 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

KM2 is a great tire, I have about 20k on my set and they're wearing great. I'm at an average of 11/32" tread depth, so about 55% tread(with wheeling). They perform well on the rocks, minimal chunking and decent road noise, nothing too loud. The sidewalls are very strong and can take a lot of abuse, haven't ripped a sidewall on even the sharpest of rocks. They've balanced out great too. Overall I've been very happy with them and would purchase another set.
ratchettt likes this.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-27-2018, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
its a shame youíre only into those model tires; the BFG KO2s sidewall w core guard if far tougher than the older km2 - itíll be the sidewall on the km3 - & Iíve a set just removed that has 70% tread left for sale for $850 for all 5 in Nashville. 37Ē x 12.50 x17 ďdĒ carcass and 68lbs per. Bombproof and better than many MTs on the trails. I just wheel in mud and donít DD my jku , so went with much more aggressive tires or Iíd still run these.

send me a PM if interested or more info wanted. If I had your use case and a choice of km2 , MTR or KO2 , no question ...just tryin to help.

ratchettt likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-27-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]its a shame you’re only into those model tires; the BFG KO2s sidewall w core guard if far tougher than the older km2 - it’ll be the sidewall on the km3 - & I’ve a set just removed that has 70% tread left for sale for $850 for all 5 in Nashville. 37” x 12.50 x17 “d” carcass and 68lbs per. Bombproof and better than many MTs on the trails. I just wheel in mud and don’t DD my jku , so went with much more aggressive tires or I’d still run these.

send me a PM if interested or more info wanted. If I had your use case and a choice of km2 , MTR or KO2 , no question ...just tryin to help.
I really appreciate your and all other comments, and thanks for the $850 offer, but I am definitely running 35's. I am biased by the tried and true, and while I would likely risk the new KM3, the continued delays wore me out. Whether it has any validity or not, BFG official website chat told me they were hoping to have 8 ply KM3 early 2019, so I'm going to start enjoying new tires tomorrow. At my age eating dessert first has real meaning.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants

Last edited by ratchettt; 02-27-2018 at 08:41 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-27-2018, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
I really appreciate your and all other comments, and thanks for the $850 offer, but I am definitely running 35's. I am biased by the tried and true, and while I would likely risk the new KM3, the continued delays wore me out. Whether it has any validity or not, BFG official website chat told me they were hoping to have 8 ply KM3 early 2019, so I'm going to start enjoying new tires tomorrow. At my age eating dessert first has real meaning.
oh. I took that into consideratio. BFGs are ,
as you are aware I am sure - run small; these measure 35.3" on the four door that weighs just under 5000lbs. I would never suggest anyone ugrade to a new tire level, these are just 35s at 70% tread; there measured , like, 35.6 after first year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode