Duratracs get slick with age? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-20-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Duratracs get slick with age?

Anyone notice that their duratracs seem to engage the traction control in wet conditions with more frequency as the tires age? Had mine for about 55k miles (daily driver, mild trail use) and there's plenty of tread left. Never had a problem with them before, but it's bad enough that I'm thinking of buying new tires. Thanks!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-21-2017, 07:21 AM
Rock God

I have not had an issue with my Duratracs. I am currently at 45,000 miles though. BUT, I don't think there is anyway I am going to 55,000 miles out of these tires. I'm assuming I will only have 3,000 left before they are needing to be replaced. There is a raise spot between the Middle Tread blocks, and I'm almost worn down to that (this may not make sense and I'll grab a picture of my tires at lunch). When all those middle tread blocks are the same level, you have lost a lot of the tire and grip. Also the middle tread blocks are where a majority of the factory sipping is.

As for the traction control. I turned that off in my Jeep a long time ago. I cannot account for that aspect of your handling.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #3 of 7 Old 11-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJK View Post
Anyone notice that their duratracs seem to engage the traction control in wet conditions with more frequency as the tires age? Had mine for about 55k miles (daily driver, mild trail use) and there's plenty of tread left. Never had a problem with them before, but it's bad enough that I'm thinking of buying new tires. Thanks!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
When I bought my JK it had worn down Duratracs already on them. They had probably half tread left but they were pretty crappy in the rain and snow IMO. Its odd because i've seen so many different experiences with them. (although mostly positive.)

But I would imagine any tire as it gets worn down they perform worse. It's just how they're designed.

This is my Signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Rock God

I find the Duratracs a real comprise tire. We run them on all our field trucks. Mainly because of the snowflake so they're winter rated for insurance purposes. I didn't find them worth shit in the winter and as an offroad tire not good in muddy conditions. Also not a very tough sidewall. Goodyears are also way short on their height measurement. I wouldn't spend my money on them.
Ya, that's how I really feel.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-21-2017, 10:40 PM
Wheeler

What would some one recommend better than duratracs for daily driving in extreme winter conditions? we get -30 lots and tons of snow. Drove my 2 door home from work in a fresh foot of new snow tonight and thought they were flawless. I would sure like some real world thoughts on something better though as Im replacing these soon enough. 40000 on them. 285 17.
Attached Images

2014 JK 2 Door
post #6 of 7 Old 11-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipper View Post
What would some one recommend better than duratracs for daily driving in extreme winter conditions? we get -30 lots and tons of snow. Drove my 2 door home from work in a fresh foot of new snow tonight and thought they were flawless. I would sure like some real world thoughts on something better though as Im replacing these soon enough. 40000 on them. 285 17.
If you live in an area that gets those types of temps and a lot of snow, I'd get dedicated snow tires or atleast studded duratracs.

Personally I don't think there's anything out there that's as good as them as an all around tire. But no AT (even with the snow rating) will beat out a true snow tire FYI.
I'm most likely switching to KO2s my next set. I've heard people claim one is better than another but I honestly think they're most likely equal. But i'd like to find out for myself.

This is my Signature
post #7 of 7 Old 11-25-2017, 06:15 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvjeeper View Post
If you live in an area that gets those types of temps and a lot of snow, I'd get dedicated snow tires or atleast studded duratracs.

Personally I don't think there's anything out there that's as good as them as an all around tire. But no AT (even with the snow rating) will beat out a true snow tire FYI.
I'm most likely switching to KO2s my next set. I've heard people claim one is better than another but I honestly think they're most likely equal. But i'd like to find out for myself.
Thanks yes I hear ya. For sure studded duratracs would be so amazing when there is ice under fresh snow. its snowing hard right now but only 30deg so wet slushy roads and mine did fine. I even tried to kick it out in 4x4 to see what would happen and couldn't so that was good. I sure like the stability control and traction control its a god sent compared to my old bronco in the snow.!! reason I was asking more so is that i want bigger tires but they have to have the dumb snow flake up hear in the winter and just cant bring myself to buying the {look} of straight up snows. haha My buddy has KO,s and he likes them also. Mine came with these so haven't tried any others yet. There 285,s but want to go up to a 305 and 12 wide at least next time knowing the wider ya go the worse it is on winter roads. But 33 34 or 35 x 12.5 look so much better.

2014 JK 2 Door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode