Weird Tire Wear Pattern - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Fklein6768

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-17-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Weird Tire Wear Pattern

Hey guys. I'm getting some weird tire wear. I have a 2010 JK Rubi with a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift. I've had the lift on for about 4 years. These are 35x12.5 MT Baja MTZ P3s that I have had on for a little over a year. They have been running fine, but I started getting some death wobble on a drive home from the beach. It didn't start until I was 1.5 hours into a 2 hour drive.

It happens around 35 mph. If I load the suspension, usually by swerving a bit, as I accelerate to about 40 it goes away. The Stabilizer is fine, I can't seem to find any play in any of the joints or attachment points, and everything is tight.

Last night I thought I'd try a tire rotation just to see if it would matter. When I was moving them, I noticed the weird wear in the pictures on the front driver tire. There was a little on the passenger side, but nowhere near as bad. This is in the middle of the tread. The wobble is still there after the rotation, but a fair bit better. Before I had to slow way down sometimes because it would become pretty severe.

Any ideas?
Attached Images

RK 2.5" Flex - Body Armor Front Bumper - Superwinch 8500 lb - Rigid Industries Dually Flood Lights and Diffused Reverse Light - G2 Gear & Axle Diff Covers - Dynomax Exhaust - Drake Off-Road Billet Knobs - Oliver's Driveshafts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
Coming to JKO to get educated on politics is like a marathoner watching the Special Olympics to get technique pointers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-17-2017, 03:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbillyOSU View Post
Hey guys. I'm getting some weird tire wear. I have a 2010 JK Rubi with a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift. I've had the lift on for about 4 years. These are 35x12.5 MT Baja MTZ P3s that I have had on for a little over a year. They have been running fine, but I started getting some death wobble on a drive home from the beach. It didn't start until I was 1.5 hours into a 2 hour drive.

It happens around 35 mph. If I load the suspension, usually by swerving a bit, as I accelerate to about 40 it goes away. The Stabilizer is fine, I can't seem to find any play in any of the joints or attachment points, and everything is tight.

Last night I thought I'd try a tire rotation just to see if it would matter. When I was moving them, I noticed the weird wear in the pictures on the front driver tire. There was a little on the passenger side, but nowhere near as bad. This is in the middle of the tread. The wobble is still there after the rotation, but a fair bit better. Before I had to slow way down sometimes because it would become pretty severe.

Any ideas?
How often do you rotate and what psi you running? If I go past 3,500 miles I can tell it's time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
ExWrench and Rb6700 like this.

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #3 of 5 Old 11-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Rock God

Are you talking about that square bump that's just in one spot towards the middle-right of the picture? I'd say that looks like some manufacturing defect. I can't think of any conceivable way that a poor alignment or broken axle could cause one little extruded bump in the tread to form like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-18-2017, 09:12 AM
Random Dude

Death wobble means something (unit bearing, TRE, BJ, TB, control arm) has worn loose. Even if you mask it by balancing, rotating, replacing tires or setting toe slightly out, you should find wot's fooked and unfook it. Planman's diagnostic thread FTW if you need any help there.

Your tire funkiness is what's initiating the DW feedback cycle, and that appears to be from not rotating tires often enough (or at all). Also, your shocks being fawked can cause or add to that weird cupping. I had a Suburban on 33s with POS 4WP shocks ( ) that turned a set of BFG Mud Terrains into ~a sack of hammers. I can confirm that DW is totally possible on a leaf-sprung truck

OK, I'm starting to ramble. Fuck it, take what you find helpful, or ignore it all

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #5 of 5 Old 11-18-2017, 07:47 PM
Wheeler

I have seen in the past that some brands of tires are more prone to this than others if not rotated religiously, as well as air pressure checked...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode