Sub 1" wheel spacers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sub 1" wheel spacers

Does anyone make a sub 1" spacer with replacement lugs?

I've got cooper stt pro 37x13.5 on a 9" wheel with 4.5" backspace. I've lost a little too much turning radius with this setup. Tread blocks are hitting the lower control arms. I don't think I need much spacer and the thinnest I can find is the 1.25" teraflex adapter. That'd put me at 3.25" of backspace which seems excessive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 06:53 PM
Granite Guru

https://www.titanwheelaccessories.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto

COI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 06:57 PM
Rock God

1.25" Teraflex is indeed the thinnest spacer put out by a trusted name brand.

You can get down to 1" from no-name brands if you're willing to take that safety risk, for example (I have no experience with this product): https://www.amazon.com/4pc-Thick-HUB.../dp/B00A86Z4T8

Going with less than 1.25" will require grinding your lug nuts down, and apparently even 1.25" does for some people but I had plenty of clearance (I guess Jeep uses different length lugs in various years)

I don't think less than 1" is really possible in an adapter style spacer, might be able to go a tiny bit thinner but I don't think anybody does. You can get arbitrarily thin spacers that just sit between the wheel and hub, but that's generally considered super dangerous because you're then using a single set of bolts to secure two parallel shear planes and it's difficult to be confident they'll keep torque. In that style spacer you also have to make sure you still have sufficient thread engagement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah for other vehicles in the past, I've been able to find hubcentric spacers (not adapters) with longer lugs to replace the stock ones.
Titan doesn't appear to have what I'm looking for.

How bad would 3.25" of backspace be? I think that wouldn't expose the rotors but it's probably real close.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 07:56 PM
Rock God

Not sure if these pics are useful, this is 3.38 backspace on the rear of my JK. The rotor is still inboard of the edge of the wheel (just barely), and you have the whole bulge of the tire too. The only thing sticking out is the caliper. Is it ideal? No, but you'd have to fall off the side of a rock with a just about literally perfectly vertical 1 foot edge, and also shaped to not first hit control arm or axle, to ever damage the caliper, it's very well protected. I've never heard of or experienced any issue with it with regard to trail damage. There are much more significant down-sides to running 3.5" backspace, specifically in the front end.

Lots of people run 3.5 backspace, it's the go-to size for 37x12.5 tires. 3.25 isn't that different, it'll be fine. Actually with 37x13.5 tires, it's probably just about perfect!

IMG_20170923_194617

IMG_20170923_194622
post #6 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks. Appreciate the pics and the insights.
I was under the impression 4.5" was the go-to backspace for 37x12.5 which is how I ended up with this setup.
The concern on the front axle is the added leverage on the ball joints and Cs?
post #7 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberDuper View Post
Thanks. Appreciate the pics and the insights.
I was under the impression 4.5" was the go-to backspace for 37x12.5 which is how I ended up with this setup.
The concern on the front axle is the added leverage on the ball joints and Cs?
4.5" is for 35's, you can only run 4.5" for 37's if you cut your steering stops way back (as you've experienced). As far as I know, 3.5" back space lets you run 37's with stock steering limits.

Yes you wear out your ball joints faster, as well as unit bearings (less significant, the JK unit bearings seem to hold up pretty well). Ball joints are essentially just a consumable on a JK axle when wheeled hard, so they'll just go a bit faster with lower back space.

I wouldn't worry about the C's as long as you have them gusseted which is a really good plan if not already done regardless of your back space.

Another thing is you make your scrub radius worse which might make steering harder, and makes it much harder to steer with lockers engaged since the tires naturally need to differentiate to steer if your scrub radius is not zero.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode