Snow tire help! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-15-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Snow tire help!

I'm new to the jeep world and loving every minute of it. I just moved to Colorado and was wondering iif there were any recommendations for studded snow tires? I'm just confused and overwhelmed as to what brand is the best, I'm a Florida girl and this is a whole new world for me!
Digging the trails with what I have now, but need just easy tires for winter in lots of snow.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-18-2017, 03:37 AM
Granite Guru

As far as true snowtires are concerned I used to run studded Firestone Winterforce tires on my Ramcharger and they worked exceptionally well in the winter. I just hated having to pull them off on April 1st.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (while not a true snowtire) are supposed to be very good in the snow and they are studdable too.

Last fall I put a set of BF Goodrich KO2s on my wife's Cherokee and I was amazed at how well they did for not being studded or a true snow tire and we had more ice than snow last winter!

"Wake me for the Revolution..."

Last edited by Fatbob Frank; 09-18-2017 at 10:54 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Wheeler

running studs is a good idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbob Frank View Post
As far as true snowtires are concerned I used to run studded Firestone Winterforce tires on my Ramcharger and they worked exceptionally well in the winter. I just hated having to pull them off on April 1st.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (while not a true snowtire) are supposed to be very good in the snow and they are studdable too.

Last fall I put a set of BF Goodrich KO2s on my wife's Cherokee and I was amazed at how well they did for not being studded or a true snow tire and we had more ice than snow last winter!
I've been seeing during my research is a lot of "truck" tires can be hit or miss. I can find dozens of reviews for most tires claiming they're awesome in snow and then claiming they're garbage.

Duratracs are supposed to be awesome in the snow for an aggressive AT tire. Mine when I had them were horrible in the snow and rain IMO. Same thing with the K02s. I've heard great things about them but then also heard people say how they're the worse tires they've had.

I'd personally go with a good AT tire (ko2, duratrac) and just drive slow. but its always safer to get a dedicated set of snow tires. Personally I love the "general" brand. I ran their all seasons on all my cars. But getting a full set of snow tires can be costly and annoying to do. but hey its probably less annoying and costly then sliding off the road into a tree.

for an example heres two different reviews for the same KO2.

"Initial Review:
20,000 Miles on Tires
June 08, 2017

I didn't care for the first generation of "Knock Off" all terrain tires made by BFG. They wore unbelievably bad, chopped terribly on solid front axle trucks, transmitted unwanted road vibrations, and bumps directly into the steering and suspension, and howled loudly while doing it......Guess what? The second generation of these "Knock Off" tires are exactly the same. The only thing they changed is the tread pattern they leave in the grass, when you slide off the road into the shoulder hoping for some traction before you reach the ditch. I admit, I believed all the hype, and I thought having been bought out of debt by Michellin, maybe there was a slight chance these generation 2 tires would exceed my low expectations of BFGoodrich..... Well I threw 1,300 bucks into the Tuition for the school of hard knocks and learned my lesson, AGAIN! If you like the BFG's you had on your 1984 blazer and they lasted in the garage for the whole 27 years you owned it. I won't talk you out of these worthless, waste of valuable rubber, balloons, but if you're in the market for a long lasting, traction on your, every ---- day, work truck! Buy something else. I loved every mile on the 3 sets of Michellin LTX, but they are very limited in sizes, hence my regretful purchase of these noisy, bouncing, excuse for an over priced, wheel protectors."

"Initial Review:
80,000 Miles on Tires
November 20, 2015

i have used these tires since they came out. its great tire, average 80k plus on tread in mud snow, rock, and highway. i ranch, and work off road, sometimes 100 miles from pavement, so there is creeks and rivers to cross. i currently have these on a 2wd, and it handles just like a 4 x4. i have been in 3 feet of mud, water, plowing thru 4ft snow drifts. crossed mountain passes on iced slopes without chains loaded and towing. some slippage at times but they always bite. i have been on highways with 12 to 24 inches of clear ice going 70 around switch backs and steep hills and drop offs although i personally wouldn't recommend trying. its best not to drive in a lot of the conditions i push these tires to. i have even driven on cobble, although forget comfort as it is rough. dirt roads and gravel are not a problem even when there's loose rock or dirt, can hit a corner at 60 and throttle and wont loose traction nor slide. not bad for 12,000 pounds. i have found the front does best with a tire at 45 to 75% wear. they slip more new, especially some hydro plaining on smooth pavement when covered in water, so put new on rear, break in and put on front."

Granted I see more good reviews then bad but out of the dozen+ bad reviews, does that mean they're all lies?

What about my own personal experience with my duratracs? My jeep was horrible in rain and snow, hell I almost got stuck on a muddy field because I couldn't dig in and get traction. Yet there are probably hundreds of reviews saying something different.

Also on tirerack.com the ko2s are rated 9.1 out of 10 for winter weather. so I'd imagine its a good bet.

This is my Signature

Last edited by mvjeeper; 09-26-2017 at 02:37 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 04:28 PM
Rock God

Winter tires for CO

You don't specify WHERE in CO you live, but if you are within a reasonable distance from a Discount Tire store, I highly recommend you talk to them. They will give you sound advice based on experience. And if you are not happy with the tires you can return them for a different set.

Discount Tire sets the bar when it comes to customer satisfaction. They are not happy until you are happy. If you have never dealt with them, you need to give them a try. No risk.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 11:37 PM
Granite Guru

Yeah, it seems like almost every tire review has a couple guys claiming
"worst tire ever" regardless of the intended function.
Typically you can get a general feel for them by the majority of commenters.

Despite some claims that they are terrible winter tires I'm still running the stock BFG KM Mud Terrains that came on my Rubicon wheels.
And my Wrangler is my designated winter driver.
I work 3rd shift and am always on the road hours after they've pulled the plows off, yet my Wrangler has gotten me through some bad stuff!
This will be my 3rd winter with them.

"Wake me for the Revolution..."
post #7 of 8 Old 09-27-2017, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

im a big convert to BFG and have run the KO2s in 37" flavor for two years . I only street drive to trailheads , so not DD used but trailheads can require 500miles of freeway to get to in the SouthEast.
Being said, except for bog-like mud that is clay based - where they aren't horrible but not their best - they can handle ANY terrain if you air up or down appropriately. I don't know if they have little holes for studs but don't think that matters?
I wanted to see what the "snowflake rating" hype I'd heard about meant and during one particularly frozen ( 10° F in video) morning around a year or two ago I flipped my traction control killswitch to 'off' ,left them aired up to their regular 24.5psi and recorded the KO2 behavior on 2-4" of solid ice w/ an inch or three of snow on top of asphalt.
As you'll see, I could break or stick them as I wished at will. They are great winter cond tires but then again, I get these conditions maybe 2 times annually. Nothing like out West :

Fatbob Frank likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-27-2017, 01:20 PM
JKowners Vendor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
You don't specify WHERE in CO you live, but if you are within a reasonable distance from a Discount Tire store, I highly recommend you talk to them. They will give you sound advice based on experience. And if you are not happy with the tires you can return them for a different set.

Discount Tire sets the bar when it comes to customer satisfaction. They are not happy until you are happy. If you have never dealt with them, you need to give them a try. No risk.
Thank you so much for your kind words. I will agree with you going to a local store in Colorado is an excellent choice. Those guys see first hand every day what works best in their area and will make sure you are happy with your choice. That comes 2nd nature to all of us at Discount tire/America's Tire from our owner down since 1960.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode