Regearing - opinions needed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnny123

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-14-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Regearing - opinions needed

i have a 2016 jeep jku sahara automatic with 3.21 gearing. I will be running a 2.5 inch lift with 35's. I was wondering if i needed to regear or could i just settle for a superchip. If i do regear, what ratio should i get? from what ive seen i would go with 4.56 but want more opinions. This will be mainly a daily driver. Dana 30 in front . and rear Dana 44 if that helps. thanks
justdifferentials likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-14-2017, 05:11 PM
Wheeler

Have you seen the thread about "35's and an automatic"? 4.56, 4.88 and 5.13 are the popular choices depending on use.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-14-2017, 07:45 PM
Rock God

In general "can I get by with it accepting it'll be not the best on 35's", the answer on the 3.6L 2012+ is 3.21 no it'll be intolerable, 3.73 yes but not great, 4.10 yes and it's not that bad.

Obviously re-gearing will be way better in any case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-15-2017, 02:10 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny123 View Post
i have a 2016 jeep jku sahara automatic with 3.21 gearing. I will be running a 2.5 inch lift with 35's. I was wondering if i needed to regear or could i just settle for a superchip. If i do regear, what ratio should i get? from what ive seen i would go with 4.56 but want more opinions. This will be mainly a daily driver. Dana 30 in front . and rear Dana 44 if that helps. thanks
You will need a new carrier for the front d30.
you wont "need" to regear but you will want to. Your jeep is 400+ lbs heavier than mine with an automatic but the same drive gears and tires. mine is fine to drive but im also at sea level and like I said, hundreds of lbs lighter and im still shifting more than I'd like. and there is a lot of issues getting rolling from a dig.

So unless you live in the mountains, you don't really "need" to but you'd most likely want to.

also the famous chart.

This is my Signature
post #5 of 8 Old 09-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Wheeler

I have a 2016 Sahara Automatic JK. I had a 3.5 lift that netted 5 inches due to not have any heavy mods installed. The 35 inch tires gave me another 2 inches in height. I chose to have it regeared to 4.88. I'm sitting 7 inches higher with 5 83 pond tires and 5 17 pound rims. I can imagine not having it regear. The Jeep is heavy now. That 2.5 lift and tires might put you in the range for new driveshaft.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-16-2017, 07:13 PM

Regear because 35" tire on stock gearing the car will be sluggish, 4:10 or 4.56 gears will be good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 Old 09-27-2017, 04:00 PM
Rock God

Regear, hands DOWN!! More than that....let us help!!
post #8 of 8 Old 09-28-2017, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemenbull View Post
I have a 2016 Sahara Automatic JK. I had a 3.5 lift that netted 5 inches due to not have any heavy mods installed. The 35 inch tires gave me another 2 inches in height. I chose to have it regeared to 4.88. I'm sitting 7 inches higher with 5 83 pond tires and 5 17 pound rims. I can imagine not having it regear. The Jeep is heavy now. That 2.5 lift and tires might put you in the range for new driveshaft.

i had to do serious homework and sacrifice a little to keep my 37s on 17s under 100lbs ( 21lb wheel + 69lb tire ) . I regeared to 5.13 shortly after but drove the 3.8l with its 4.10 gears for a few months & couldn't imagine a heavier tire wheel combo than that ...the 3.6l xtra HP helps on 12 and up JKs for sure.
Regearing is the single best mod for performance as well as caring for the power plant of the jeep if it's running any tires larger than stock ,imho.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode