Running two different types of tires, is it doable? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-10-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Running two different types of tires, is it doable?

I have a brand new MT and a brand new Duratrac sitting at my house. How bad of an idea would it be to just buy another of each and run them like that? Obviously same tires on same axles and they're all the same size. I understand they will handle differently.

This is my Signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-10-2017, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Heck, man...in Tennessee if it's round, we puts it on the ground-n-boogie-down!

Banshee and mvjeeper like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-11-2017, 06:08 AM
Rock God

As long as they are the same TRUE size you are good. There is a problem with running different size tires front and back as well. I thought I read that somewhere on here, let me try and do some Google searches.

2010 2 door manual sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-11-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
As long as they are the same TRUE size you are good. There is a problem with running different size tires front and back as well. I thought I read that somewhere on here, let me try and do some Google searches.
technically yes technically no. ones a 35/12.5R17 and one is a 315/70/r17 so they technically aren't true same size. I have to measure the actual tires because some measure smaller or bigger than others. just by measurements of the sizes and not measuring the actual tires, the 315s are a half a inch shorter which I don't think would make much of a difference considering I've seen people with balding tires on one axle and brand new ones on another.

This is my Signature
post #5 of 6 Old 08-11-2017, 05:16 PM
Granite Guru

Half an inch sounds a bit too much for me. Just because other people do it does not mean you should too. The question is if the potential damage to the transmission and transfer case is worth it to you so safe on buying 2 new tires versus 3 new tires.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-12-2017, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyjfm View Post
Half an inch sounds a bit too much for me. Just because other people do it does not mean you should too. The question is if the potential damage to the transmission and transfer case is worth it to you so safe on buying 2 new tires versus 3 new tires.
But isn't there no damage unless im in 4wd on dry pavement (which you shouldnt be anyway)? Tires turn at different rates around corners normally. which is why welded diffs, lockers or our 4wd systems should only be used on loose traction areas.

If im not mistaken. I don't get too much it to the physics of how these things work so its very possible I'm thinking about this the wrong way.

This is my Signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode