Tire Sizes and Lift Kits - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jchappies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-19-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Tire Sizes and Lift Kits

I am debating between 33" and 35" tires. What size lifts look best with these tires? Also would you have to regear when upgrading to 35's? Lastly, how is the gas mileage affected? This is mainly the DD with occasional off-roading. I like the looks of the 35's but want the opinions of others. 2016 JKU Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-19-2017, 08:43 AM
Wheeler

Garage

If you're even thinking about 35's then just go to 35's. Re-gearing is not a must but you will want to do it at some point. Gas mileage is going to suck no matter what, you dropped 2mpg's just by thinking about 35in tires.
LoboTBLMC likes this.

11 JKUR Auto, RIPP SC, Body Armor bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic line,XRC Rear Bumper W/carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, 10lb CO2, Metalcloak 3.5 springs, Synergy track bar,drag link flip-Tie Rod, control arms and Ball Joints, C-gusset and sleeved, RuffStuff Diff. covers, FOX W\res shocks, Barricade Flat Fenders, 37 12.50\17 BFG KO2, 5.38 Motive gears, Uniden 520xl CB, Yaesu FT7900, Teraflex Big Rotors, Diablo Intune, Dynomax RC exhaust Redneck Ram. W3JEP San Diego Jeep Club-Gulf War Vet. USAF
post #3 of 11 Old 07-19-2017, 11:40 AM
Rock God

with the 3.6L and auto and 3.73 gearing if that is what you have you can get by fine with 35's unless you do a lot of highway driving in the mountains. 2.5-3.5" lifts look good. If you like flat fenders you can actually get away with no lift and/or a 2" spacer lift if you want to add a little height. I agree with above poster if you think you might want 35's get them or you will be spending more money in a month after getting 33;s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-12-2017, 10:28 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

2 or 4 door?
auto or manual?
3.6 or 3.8?

I have a manual 2 door 3.6 with a 2.5 inch lift and 35s with 3.21 gearing. I rarely use 5th gear and basically never use 6th. I'm always searching for gears and its a bit of a dog at low rpms. I plan on regearing next year.
if you have a 2 door you could get away with a good look on 33's. 4 door go with 35s.

your gas mpg will suck.

This is my Signature
post #5 of 11 Old 08-14-2017, 05:22 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvjeeper View Post
2 or 4 door?
auto or manual?
3.6 or 3.8?

I have a manual 2 door 3.6 with a 2.5 inch lift and 35s with 3.21 gearing. I rarely use 5th gear and basically never use 6th. I'm always searching for gears and its a bit of a dog at low rpms. I plan on regearing next year.
if you have a 2 door you could get away with a good look on 33's. 4 door go with 35s.

your gas mpg will suck.
i don't know how you guys drive when geared so poorly.

2017 JKUR Recon 6spd Firecracker Red
post #6 of 11 Old 08-15-2017, 12:24 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecTxAg06 View Post
1st-4th gear only lol.

This is my Signature
post #7 of 11 Old 08-15-2017, 03:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecTxAg06 View Post
Quote:
1st-4th gear only lol.
Geeze. I just bought an auto with the 3.21s with 255/75/17 tires because I couldn't find a jku with 3.73s without being hassled for a much higher price tag or "that jeep just sold" excuse. Although I haven't gone on a highway cruise with it, I can definitely tell that a gear swap is in my future.

I don't know how you guys, manual or auto, deal with 3.21s and 33"+ tires.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #8 of 11 Old 08-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtguy View Post
Geeze. I just bought an auto with the 3.21s with 255/75/17 tires because I couldn't find a jku with 3.73s without being hassled for a much higher price tag or "that jeep just sold" excuse. Although I haven't gone on a highway cruise with it, I can definitely tell that a gear swap is in my future.

I don't know how you guys, manual or auto, deal with 3.21s and 33"+ tires.
On the road its not THAT bad.
but off road, I look like a complete noob who has never driven stick before. anything thats technical (rocks, very tight turns/hills etc) is a real PITA too.

Besides that I just learn to deal with it. Its not the end of the world for me as I tend to have a heavy foot anyway. but its bad enough to justify in my mind spending $2500 on regears and lockers.
btw with 3.21s you'll need to buy new carriers when you regear.

This is my Signature
post #9 of 11 Old 08-15-2017, 05:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
On the road its not THAT bad.
but off road, I look like a complete noob who has never driven stick before. anything thats technical (rocks, very tight turns/hills etc) is a real PITA too.

Besides that I just learn to deal with it. Its not the end of the world for me as I tend to have a heavy foot anyway. but its bad enough to justify in my mind spending $2500 on regears and lockers.
btw with 3.21s you'll need to buy new carriers when you regear.
My previous jeep was a manual 3.21 with the stock 17 wheels/tires. I hear you on the difficult part when you get into a more technical area. Always fun when you have a drop off ledge on one side and a almost vertical on the other side, as you're turning right and going up at a nice angle. My hats off to you and the skill it takes.

I hear you on the cost of gears and the carrier. I already had a quote. I'm not doing lockers (maybe a lunchbox in the front) but anything like that is just down the road. It wasn't that high (1650 with the programmer) and they knew upfront it had 3.21s.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #10 of 11 Old 08-17-2017, 01:05 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtguy View Post
My previous jeep was a manual 3.21 with the stock 17 wheels/tires. I hear you on the difficult part when you get into a more technical area. Always fun when you have a drop off ledge on one side and a almost vertical on the other side, as you're turning right and going up at a nice angle. My hats off to you and the skill it takes.

I hear you on the cost of gears and the carrier. I already had a quote. I'm not doing lockers (maybe a lunchbox in the front) but anything like that is just down the road. It wasn't that high (1650 with the programmer) and they knew upfront it had 3.21s.
Yea thats about the cost to regear mine alone but I want atleast a lsd in the rear for road handling and I figured if I have to put a new carrier up front its only 400 bucks more for a decent locker so at that point I might as well lol

This is my Signature
post #11 of 11 Old 10-18-2017, 02:05 PM

I have a 11 auto with 3.73 looking at 285/75r17 or 285/70r17...which one? Reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode