Tire Size - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By StubEXrube
  • 1 Post By OldHippie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-21-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question Tire Size

Just bought a 2017 JKU Sport. Factory tires are 225/75 R 16. I don't want huge tires but do want to put some AT's on. Factory option size is 245/75 R 16. Here is the question: When going up one size do I have to replace all 5 or can I get by with the original spare?
I know it's a basic question but I could use some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Wheeler

225/75R16 = 29.3X8.9R16
245/75R16 = 30.5X9.6R16
1.2 inch overall difference isn't enough to justify replacing your spare too. Just my opinion.

*Do yourself a favor and be on the lookout for Rubicon take-offs. A lot of people replace them as soon as they purchase the Jeep. You should be able to get a good package deal on the wheels and tires. I sold mine to a buddy for $500. The going price around Atlanta is currently $750.

If you can't save the world, keep both hands on the camera.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mal-adjusted; 06-21-2017 at 05:08 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-21-2017, 05:58 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Good advice. I sold mine to a friend for $500 as well. 32s would work great, little sluggish on the presumed 3.21 but not end of the world. I also gave up a mustang in the 90s for Jeeps. Any other questions, throw em out. If we don't have an answer, somebody will soon enough

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-21-2017, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Regardless of what size you ultimately choose to go with, they ( all 5) definitely need to be the same size or you run the risk of your ESP/ BAS throwing a fit. I also recommend keeping the spare in the rotation so that they will all wear consistently.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 6 Old 06-21-2017, 08:29 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal-adjusted View Post
225/75R16 = 29.3X8.9R16
245/75R16 = 30.5X9.6R16
1.2 inch overall difference isn't enough to justify replacing your spare too. Just my opinion.

*Do yourself a favor and be on the lookout for Rubicon take-offs. A lot of people replace them as soon as they purchase the Jeep. You should be able to get a good package deal on the wheels and tires. I sold mine to a buddy for $500. The going price around Atlanta is currently $750.

Right, I'm going to have let my 5 Sport rim set go for 400-450 that I've been offered. They're mint with 5700 miles on them. You're in a good position to find some good deals.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-22-2017, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the info all. I have done some looking for take offs but they are few and far between here in Mohave County, AZ. A couple of reasons we don't want to go to far up in diameter are that the Mrs. is vertically challenged and does not want to have to use a ladder (LOL). Also, although our minds are still in our 30's, our bodies are in our 70's and don't flex as well as they used to!
aqualungs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode