Tire Balancing Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Question Tire Balancing Question

So I've gotten into a spirited debate as of late with a buddy of mine over tire balancing and whether it's necessary to have tires balanced any time after the first time they are balanced.

My buddy swears up and down that you only have to balance a set of tires once and forget about it. Even going so far as to recommend putting HVAC duct taping over the adhesive weights so they don't fall off.

While I mostly trust his knowledge and experience, I can't seem to wrap my head around that logic. To me it would seem that as a tire wears it's balance would change due to any amount of variables in the manufacturing process. My thoughts on this were confirmed when I spoke to the people local Discount Tire store.

The last set of tires I had on the Jeep were fine in the beginning, but once they crept up around 35k-40k miles I started getting what I deemed abnormal vibration even though they were only about half worn. My buddy wants to lay the blame on the tech's Discount Tire for not doing their job and properly balancing the tires. Of course if that was the case, why were the tires fine for the first 35k miles? Also it doesn't explain how after the tires were re-balanced and were fine for a few weeks that the vibration came back or how it went away after I put a new set of tires on the Jeep from another manufacturer.

So the question of the day is:

When a tire is balanced is it possible to balance it once and forget about it or does it need to be regularly maintained like everything else on a vehicle?

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Wheeler

Garage

For the most part you can leave it alone if all suspension parts are good and your not wearing the tires uneven or something.
but another thing to consider too is if you air down you can spin the tire on the rim which will throw off your balance.
If you go to a place like discount tire that does free mount and balance then why not do it.

11 JKUR Auto, RIPP SC, Body Armor bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic line,XRC Rear Bumper W/carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, 10lb CO2, Metalcloak 3.5 springs, Synergy track bar,drag link flip-Tie Rod, control arms and Ball Joints, C-gusset and sleeved, RuffStuff Diff. covers, FOX W\res shocks, Barricade Flat Fenders, 37 12.50\17 BFG KO2, 5.38 Motive gears, Uniden 520xl CB, Yaesu FT7900, Teraflex Big Rotors, Diablo Intune, Dynomax RC exhaust Redneck Ram. W3JEP San Diego Jeep Club-Gulf War Vet. USAF
post #3 of 4 Old 06-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Granite Guru

Yes and no. There are factors to concider. Alignment issues causing tire wear, hitting pot holes can through a tire out of balance. Generally if I rotate my tire and get no steering wheel shake a low speeds I don't get them balanced. But if I rotate them and the wheel has a slight shake a slow speeds I get them balanced.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-14-2017, 12:56 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
So the question of the day is:

When a tire is balanced is it possible to balance it once and forget about it . . . ?
On a car that has a "boring" life? Very possible, possibly probable.

Tires on your Jeep can be balanced once and left alone as long as:

• The tire tread wears perfectly symmetrically both axially and circumferentially
  • You never drive for any length of time with tires unbalanced by mud, ice, snow, seagull crap, etc.
  • You never chunk out your tires when you wheel, not even little chunks the size of a Tic Tac
  • Your tires are constructed such that they will not change balance as tread depth decreases
  • You never flat spot your tires by scuffing 'em in emergency braking or turning the steering in place
  • Probably another couple dozen things do not happen that can cause tires to lose balance

TL/DR: "NO"

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode