ridge grappler vs ko2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lloydsmale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ridge grappler vs ko2

Put 305 ridge grapplers on my jk before the winter. they did real well in snow and ice and are fairly quiet. MUCH more so in all depts. then the bfg mud terrains that came on it. Well I bought a new truck and had them put a set of 2756518 ko2s on it before I took it home. I had a few sets of the old ats but never a ko2. I have to say that there quieter and even better on the snow and ice then the ridge grapplers. Now the ridge grappler IS a more aggressive tire and id bet in pure off road situations it would be superior but this does have me second guessing going away from bfg for the first time in my life. these ko2s seem so far to be a big step up from the older ones. Now I guess you have to take into consideration there totally different vehicles too. Hard to compare a extended cab 4x4 truck to a jeep.
Fatbob Frank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-13-2017, 08:38 PM

hey can you post a pic with the ridge grapplers?? I am wanting those 305s and trying to see what theyll look like. im gonna have them on stock height so maybe ill get lucky and youll have the same thing lol
post #3 of 9 Old 04-14-2017, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

FWIW , imho, I am not alone in coming to the same agreement on the new BFG A/T KO2 resulting in a dramatic change of opinion on the brand when experiencing the new, made-over tire that replaced the venerable KO and earlier AllTerrain Radial tires.
Truck, Jeep, towing rig to rock crawler , the KO2 takes what's so resilient &effectice about the racing KR2 and implements the best features in a radically different tire.
I was an ardent Cooper tire supporter customer on 3 Jeeps and two trucks over the years but when I decided to try the ko2s out ( based on several and primarily a review that Lance from Pirate4x4 and JKOwner gave on their performance at release time ) I never expected to have my whole opinion and views on how an AT tire should perform .
They are amazing, effective, reliable and round tires that perform above average on all terrain and wear as well or better than the KO ( which lasted forever and longer than the sidewalks could handle ) after 20,000 ( over half that off-road) on an Unlimited in 37" size. I also had them balanced when mounted and they all have been aired down , beads broken and re-seated without any imbalance or neg balance behavior multiple times.
BFG takes what the racing tires teach them and implements the top features right into consumer products. They are highly skilled at doing so and the timing on OPs thread certainly is appropriate with ( iirc and hopefully ) the follow-up to thier current km2 MT , the BFG KM3 , purportedly arriving this year on the market for public purchase ( racers this past fall in NORRA and other Baja races have been using prototypes -and WINNING -on them already ) ,should be equally as impressive in its race heritage derivative and aptitude. Here is a profile of that forthcoming tire I'm betting will be a massive success if the AT sales are any indication

I'm glad you took the turn and discovered the KO2 road is smooth and worth the way it alters your tire opinion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 04-14-2017 at 03:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-14-2017, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Only disagreement is the balancing. My ko2s took a lot more weight to balance then the ridge grapplers and the ridge grappler is a much bigger tire. I had the ko2s put on the new Silverado before it left the showroom. So the dealership mounted and balanced them. Had a small shake that was barely noticeable but drove me nuts. Went to my local TRUSTED mechanic and he rebalanced them. Said it took a lot of weight but he also said the tire weights the dealer used could have been measured in pounds!!! They do run good down the road now though. The ridge grapplers took very little weight. As a matter of fact 2 of the 5 took none!
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

FWIW , imho, I am not alone in coming to the same agreement on the new BFG A/T KO2 resulting in a dramatic change of opinion on the brand when experiencing the new, made-over tire that replaced the venerable KO and earlier AllTerrain Radial tires.
Truck, Jeep, towing rig to rock crawler , the KO2 takes what's so resilient &effectice about the racing KR2 and implements the best features in a radically different tire.
I was an ardent Cooper tire supporter customer on 3 Jeeps and two trucks over the years but when I decided to try the ko2s out ( based on several and primarily a review that Lance from Pirate4x4 and JKOwner gave on their performance at release time ) I never expected to have my whole opinion and views on how an AT tire should perform .
They are amazing, effective, reliable and round tires that perform above average on all terrain and wear as well or better than the KO ( which lasted forever and longer than the sidewalks could handle ) after 20,000 ( over half that off-road) on an Unlimited in 37" size. I also had them balanced when mounted and they all have been aired down , beads broken and re-seated without any imbalance or neg balance behavior multiple times.
BFG takes what the racing tires teach them and implements the top features right into consumer products. They are highly skilled at doing so and the timing on OPs thread certainly is appropriate with ( iirc and hopefully ) the follow-up to thier current km2 MT , the BFG KM3 , purportedly arriving this year on the market for public purchase ( racers this past fall in NORRA and other Baja races have been using prototypes -and WINNING -on them already ) ,should be equally as impressive in its race heritage derivative and aptitude. Here is a profile of that forthcoming tire I'm betting will be a massive success if the AT sales are any indication

I'm glad you took the turn and discovered the KO2 road is smooth and worth the way it alters your tire opinion

post #5 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Granite Guru

I also have the ridge grappler in a 37/12.50/17 and the most weight one tire took was 5oz.
I thought long and hard about getting the new ko2's but in the end, the tread dept kept me from getting them. Just not enough for a 37 in my opinion. I love the ridge grapplers so far even though I have only put about 900 miles on them. 150 of that was offroad though. They seem like they are going to hold up just fine in the rocks and stuff though.

08 JKU 6.0 LC8 6L80 Atlas 2 39" KM3's on Trilogy race beadlocks, prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
post #6 of 9 Old 05-15-2017, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

here they are but I have a 2.5 inch lift. Even with the lift they hit my front air dam so I took it off and bought a steel skid plate. but it easily could have been trimmed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky_wrangler17 View Post
hey can you post a pic with the ridge grapplers?? I am wanting those 305s and trying to see what theyll look like. im gonna have them on stock height so maybe ill get lucky and youll have the same thing lol
Attached Images

Last edited by lloydsmale; 05-15-2017 at 11:23 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I have the KO2's on my F350 4-door full size bed pick up truck that I use for work. I put about 50,000 miles per year on it and the last set of KO2's lasted me approximately 65,000 miles. A lot of that is with about 3000 pounds of tools in the back end.(No trailer towing though). They are very quiet on the road until the tread starts getting low. Then I started hearing them and getting slight vibrations. Note, that this was really getting towards the end of the tread life. They were good enough and I was happy enough with them that I went ahead and put set number 2 on the truck and they are wearing quite well.

I also have 305/70/17 Ridge Grapplers on my '17 JKUR. I only have about 500 miles on them. I really don't have much experience with these tires compared to the BFG's but I like them so far. They are comparable to the BFG's as far as road noise goes, but then again we are talking about two totally different vehicles.

But anyways, here is what the Ridge Grapplers look like on mine:

EmptyName_9 by chiapeteater, on Flickr

EmptyName_6 by chiapeteater, on Flickr

EmptyName_17 by chiapeteater, on Flickr
post #8 of 9 Old 05-15-2017, 04:24 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I forgot to mention in my previous post that my Jeep has a Teraflex Performance Leveling Kit(Coil Springs) on it.

Eventually I am going with a Metalcloak 2.5" lift.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-09-2018, 01:00 PM

Did you get any rubbing with the 305/70/17 Ridge Grapplers in the front when turning or having it off road? Just wondering, as I am thinking about putting this size on my 17' JKU Sahara with the Teraflex Perfomance leveling kit (coil springs).

Thanks for posting the pics, looks great. - J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode