16" Wheel not fitting over caliper, need help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 01-24-2017, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

16" Wheel not fitting over caliper, need help

Hello,

I'm new here, my name is Daniel and I come here looking for help. I'm trying to fit my new 265/75r16 Cooper Discoverer Maxx tyres onto my Jeep Wrangler JKU 2012. I bought my wheels from extremeterrain.com. Its the Mammoth Boulder 16x8 wheels. Pretty expensive to get them all the way to Sweden from the US with shipping ,customs and what not.

My problem is that they don't fit over my calipers in the front of the car. Before buying them I talked to representatives at Extreme Terrain at two different occasions and they both agreed these wheels would fit my Jeep. I bought the car earlier this year and everything is supposed to be stock on it except from a PDC installed in the back bumper. Pretty good as my gf drives the car on occasion.

I don't have any previous experience of jeeps and the brakes on them. But I bet alot of you guys have. By looking at the pictures below, do you think my brakes are stock. And if that is the case, why dont the wheels fit my car. I even spoke to a manager at Extreme Terrain (They have been super helpful in trying to find a sollution) and he looked in his computer to see if european cars have different brakes that US version. But they shouldn't have.

Images are attached

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-24-2017, 07:56 AM
Granite Guru

I have no experience with foreign JKs, but here are my observations:

1) those rotors look larger than mine. I tried measuring mine just now and they are under 30cm. unless your picture is playing tricks on me, your rotors look to be closer to 33cm
2) I have 17 inch wheels and there is about a 6cm gap between the rotor and the wheel. so a 16 inch wheel should fit over my rotors no problem

my guess is that you have larger rotors than stock US jeeps come with. whether they are stock or aftermarket, I am not sure. but they are larger than what comes on US jeeps.

EDIT: I believe the stock rotor is 11.9 inches (on a US jeep, at least). that's right around 30cm. can you take an exact measurement of your rotors?

Last edited by boopiejones; 01-24-2017 at 08:22 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-24-2017, 08:38 AM
Granite Guru

I just found something on another forum stating that the European jeeps are spec'd with 13.25" rotors...

I have about 1.25" clearance between the caliper on my 11.9" brakes and my 17 inch wheel. bumping up to a 13.25" rotor would decrease clearance by 0.68" (assuming the calipers aren't beefier) and if I was running a 16 inch wheel, that takes the 0.68" clearance down to 0.18". considering that not all wheels are build identically and there is a possibility that the calipers on the euro jeeps are beefier, it seems that 16" wheels are probably hit or miss when trying to fit over euro-spec 13.25 brakes.

here is the text I found on the other forum. note that it has been "stolen" multiple times so not sure how accurate it is...

"I stole this from another forum. It's the list of part numbers to upgrade to the larger European/Australian spec 13.25" factory brake rotors/calipers, for those looking for an OEM solution.

68040177AA - 13.25" Rotor 119.00 ea
68044865AA - Caliper Adaptor 37.10 ea
68044863AA - RH Caliper 63.45
68044862AA - LH Caliper 63.45"

EDIT: it looks like what you might have is the "BR6"" brake kit, which does not fit 16" wheels. see here: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modifi...ponents-2.html

Last edited by boopiejones; 01-24-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode