Pro comp 7069 question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-24-2016, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Question Pro comp 7069 question

Recently purchased and installed pro comp 7069 on my 2010 JKU. At 60 mpn i have a heavy vibration. Looked into what the cause would be after the Pro comp rep told me that I had to torque the rims in a star pattern (REALLY GUY ?) my mechanic did suggest getting hub centric rings which I have ordered from summit, due to the center bore being larger than the hub. Just wondering if anyone experienced this same issue with after market rims, Thanks T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-24-2016, 05:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep3r View Post
Recently purchased and installed pro comp 7069 on my 2010 JKU. At 60 mpn i have a heavy vibration. Looked into what the cause would be after the Pro comp rep told me that I had to torque the rims in a star pattern (REALLY GUY ?) my mechanic did suggest getting hub centric rings which I have ordered from summit, due to the center bore being larger than the hub. Just wondering if anyone experienced this same issue with after market rims, Thanks T
are you currently running spacers?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-26-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

no just the stock hubs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-27-2016, 03:15 AM
Granite Guru

Were they spin balanced?
post #5 of 7 Old 10-27-2016, 06:51 AM
Granite Guru

I bet the hub-centric rings will help with your vibration. Regardless, you should invest in a set.

I once had a 2003 Chevy pickup that I installed aftermarket wheels on (truck was designed to be hub-centric, wheels were lug-centric and did not include hub-centric rings). I was a 19-year-old kid who didn't know any better. I never could get the wheel/tire combination to feel like it was balanced, even though 3 different tire shops balanced them and said they were good to go. After about 5,000 miles, I made a right hand turn and heard a jingling on the road, followed by a loud bang and a scraping sound. 4 of the 6 wheel studs had sheared off. I found my lug nuts in the intersection with about 1/4" of stud sticking out of them.

On a hub-centric setup, the up/down/forward/rearward forces are designed to be taken by the hub itself, and the lug studs are only designed to take the side-to-side force to keep the wheel in contact with the hub. Running aftermarket wheels without the appropriate hub-centric rings exposes the lug studs to all of the above forces, not just those they were designed to withstand.

I was lucky with my Chevy, as I was only doing about 15-20 mph when those studs let go. It could have been much worse. The brake rotors/hubs on all 4 corners of the truck were showing signs of the wheels "walking around" on the hubs. I ended up replacing all 24 studs and sold the tires and wheels (to purchase a turbo setup for the truck...), with a new set of hub-centric rings.

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Wheeler

I have these same wheels and have not had any vibration issues. I do not have any wheel spacers or hub rings. What tires are you running?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-10-2016, 05:33 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1JK View Post
I have these same wheels and have not had any vibration issues. I do not have any wheel spacers or hub rings. What tires are you running?
Same here. No issues and have been running them for 3 years on 37's

08 JKU 6.0 LC8 6L80 Atlas 2 39" KM3's on Trilogy race beadlocks, prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode