Ok, who is running or has run the competition treps? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RiverCityOffroad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-13-2016, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Ok, who is running or has run the competition treps?

I have had a hard on for the competition maxxis trepador for a while now. With engine and axle upgrades in my future I want to step up to a 40" tire. There just isn't a huge amount of info about these tires out there even for as long as they have been out. What I basically gather is that they are soft, will wear fast on the street, are expensive, and heavy. I see 2 labels on the tire, one yellow and the other orange. What is this all about? My jeep is not a daily by any means and sees maybe 50-100 miles per weekend, I rarely drive it during the week. If the tires could last around 15k miles I would be ok with that but if its like driving on pencil erasers forget it.

I'm just looking for ANY other input on these tires....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Granite Guru

subscribed.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-13-2016, 07:38 PM
Granite Guru

I've got the 40" comp treps on my TJ. They are super soft, like you can push the lugs around with your hand, and they're the most expensive tires I have bought to date. Regarding weight, I'm pretty sure my 40" radial treps weigh more than the comps but it's been a while since I threw them around without wheels. Regarding the labels, they are yellow when you first get them but darken up to orangeish over time. I would not recommend running the comp treps on the street if possible, and there is no way you'll get 15k miles out of them. You might want to look into the non comp bias treps if you want to run them on the street. Hit up Marcus (rivercityoffroad) as he has the non comp bias on his rig. Another option is the radial treps which are a pretty rugged tire and you'll definitely get more than 15k miles out of them

98 TJ w/ 5.2/44re/stak 300, coilovers, 40" treps, hp60, 14 bolt, geared, locked, linked, stretched, hilined, . . .
08 JKU Rubi w/ 3.5" RKLA w/Foxes, 37"km2s on racelines, RIPP Supercharger and headers. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Rock God

Have you considered the regular bias instead of comp? Is that an option or are you set on the comp compound?
post #5 of 13 Old 10-14-2016, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I dont need the compound to be as soft as described by knobby97. If I could get a harder compound in the exact same style of tire I would be all over it. I just cant find such a beast.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-14-2016, 07:29 AM
JKO Addict!

I know a couple guys that run them around here and you don't even want to run the on the pavement. If you have a hard on for stickies get 2 sets of tires/wheels and just use the stickies for off road. They are bad ass tires and I like them a lot, rubber feels like a gummy bear. I would not even run them on the pavement to get to a trail I would trailer the jeep.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Granite Guru

Ok, who is running or has run the competition treps?

Here are two vendors that sell all three flavors or the treps:

http://www.davesoffroadsupply.com/Ma...17_p_8319.html

http://www.filthymotorsports.com/Max...axxis-trep.htm

The comp treps and bias treps share the same aggressive lug pattern in case that's what your hooked on. The lug pattern on the radial treps isn't as aggressive, but still has plenty of grip.

I've run the comp creepy crawlers on a TJ I used to have, and they're not a bad tire either and also not a directional tire like the trep.

98 TJ w/ 5.2/44re/stak 300, coilovers, 40" treps, hp60, 14 bolt, geared, locked, linked, stretched, hilined, . . .
08 JKU Rubi w/ 3.5" RKLA w/Foxes, 37"km2s on racelines, RIPP Supercharger and headers. . .

Last edited by knobby97; 10-14-2016 at 08:57 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-14-2016, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

So even the bias treps which are harder than the competition treps are still way too soft for any street duty?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
post #9 of 13 Old 10-14-2016, 10:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Yes they have a harder compound but has the drawback of flat spotting on a daily driver. If you don't mind that they re a good choice.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #10 of 13 Old 10-14-2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Yes they have a harder compound but has the drawback of flat spotting on a daily driver. If you don't mind that they re a good choice.
Thanks for the info along with everyone elses thoughts as well. I am trying to get someone at filthy motorsports on the phone to discuss them a bit more. As little as I drive my jeep currently I am hoping they dont just disintegrate. I am in the middle of gathering parts for a bunch of upgrades at the moment. I may not have this thing drivable next year at this rate. I dread taking it down next month to start the work.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-14-2016, 11:50 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I have the 40" Bias on my Jeep. Before we get too deep into this, my Jeep is NOT a driver. I have put 1000 miles on it since June of 13 and 500 of those miles were on the set of 37" BFGs that I originally put on it to the beach and back.

The sticky tire will not last until the water gets hot on the street. They are EXTREMELY soft. Guys are running a new set of them almost bald during KOH for example. They are incredible, but I don't think they belong on a Jeep that sees even a few trips to the store/bar/McDonalds every now and again. They are just too expensive to use that way.

The tires on mine are OK on the street. I have no balancing material in them and I can run it up to about 70 MPH before things start to fall apart and it gets hairy. It'll roll down the road smooth as glass at about 65 all day long and I've had it on the highway a few times recently without too much drama. I think they'd be fine if I balanced them, but to be completely honest I don't care to open that can of worms and fight it. Rather just deal with what they are.

Running around in Moab over EJS was the first time I'd really had the thing on the trail and it took running them down to 2-3 PSI before they started working. They still looked like radials with 15 PSI in them at that low pressure. As the week went on and we drove it everywhere on flat tires they really started working. Wearing the sharp edge of the lugs off helped a ton and no pressure made them do work.

I would only recommend you buy these tires if you're seriously OK with your Jeep driving poorly on the road and you have ZERO need to travel on the highway for extended periods of time. They are very soft and you can see the wear after driving around on them.

I can help you with the tires if you'd like. Here are the part numbers if you want to poke around some.

This is the 40" bias ply tire: TL00007300

This is the 40" COMP tire: TL00007200

Here's a video from Pritchett Canyon.

Marcus
pvanweelden likes this.

post #12 of 13 Old 10-14-2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yes, shoot me a PM with a quote for a set of 5 in 40 x 13x 17. So its the BIAS that I want in that tread pattern. How may street miles could you estimate the bias getting? I am going to be super honest here. My jeep gets 99% street miles. I only drive it on the weekends and its usually just around town with very little Hwy miles. I am mainly just after these tires for the look. I am also a month away from putting a 500hp LS engine in that I already have sitting in the garage. I am just waiting on my swap kit to come in at this point. I only mention that because theres going to be some pedal to the medal action. I realize this will shorten the life of the tire even more. So when you give your estimation please just assume its with trhe bias tire under careful easy miles.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-14-2016, 05:38 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
Yes, shoot me a PM with a quote for a set of 5 in 40 x 13x 17. So its the BIAS that I want in that tread pattern. How may street miles could you estimate the bias getting? I am going to be super honest here. My jeep gets 99% street miles. I only drive it on the weekends and its usually just around town with very little Hwy miles. I am mainly just after these tires for the look. I am also a month away from putting a 500hp LS engine in that I already have sitting in the garage. I am just waiting on my swap kit to come in at this point. I only mention that because theres going to be some pedal to the medal action. I realize this will shorten the life of the tire even more. So when you give your estimation please just assume its with trhe bias tire under careful easy miles.
I'd say they'll last about like a Super Swamper Bogger. You'll likely get 15 - 20K miles out of them.

I'll send a quote over by PM.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode