cooper st maxx jku 33x12.5r15 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 09-30-2016, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

cooper st maxx jku 33x12.5r15

hey everyone,

just fyi, because i tried searching for myself...

my jeep is a 2015 rubicon unlimited manual trans. was looking to get tires and wheels. googled this and that and ended buying a set of black rock 997's in 15x10 with 4" backspace. yes i had to grind my calipers due to the lip of the punched circles. was going to run 35's but ended up with 33's (no lift yet). tire ended up being cooper st maxx in 33x12.5r15. nothing after market except spare tire delete and license plate relocate. have not checked for my self but paper works shows 35psi. the 18 mile drive from the shop was a good ride. my factory bfg's where inflated to 50psi so yeah they where bumpy. when i was thinking on 35's, i went ahead and bought the aev procal. any way, got home and was going to set up my jeep for the new tire. no tpms and thought i needed to correct for tire height. dont know if the tpms disable worked, as i just did it and cleared the codes. got out my trusty 2x4 laid it across the top of the tire and measured down. again, nothing heavy on the jku set up but the factory stuff. 31.5" from top to bottom. bummer i didnt stop before i left for the shop and check factory for comparison. stock tires and wheels had approx 17000 miles on them. cooper web site has them listed as 32.76", i expected a loss of height but not this much. ha, should have gone 35's.

feel heavier than stock from a stop, i did have all four of the old tires and wheels in the back though. stopping, i didnt really notice a difference. even the hard braking when a big truck in front of me got cut off on the highway and all but stopped traffic behind him. man what a smooth ride on the road. not bouncy or wondering. not going to change inflation because of how nice it was but will check for down the road. heavier on the steering wheel, but in a good way. road feedback is muted. 50psi stock vs 35psi? these. with the wheels being 15x10 with 4" backspacing, the outside lugs do stick out past the fender. this was another area of concern for me. wide stance looks good but ive seen some rigs that where super wide and looked out of proportion. these are not too bad but man its almost there. i do kind of see the roller skate look happening but i hope i can get used to it. clearance..... bump stop to stop with no problems. no rub on rubi rail or air deflector up front, nor on the control arms. turning radius doesnt seem affected. but all i did was drove from the shop home. love the turning radius of the stock set up.

i want a lift to level and beef up the look, but i cant see going too high unless i do 35's when these wear out, or it just gets to me that i wanted the tires to be taller. 95% dd, the rest driving to a campground or to a float trip location. ie wash board gravel roads and sometimes muddy ruts. i bought a suv for my german shepherds. jeep was the only one that offered manual trans. always wanted 35's on 15's as a teen/early 20's, but now as an adult i cant justify it with the usage the jeep gets. well maybe.....

anyway hope that info helps someone else in a similar boat. and the wording makes it easy to find in a search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-30-2016, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

forgot to mention the tech that installed them said they balanced fairly easily. i dont have a beauty ring of lead anywhere i can see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode