Any suggestions on Load Range - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChuckTheRipper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-13-2016, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Any suggestions on Load Range

I am running a D load range on my JKU. The ride has been fine. Will I hate myself for going with the E range. I do have some weight on my rig with bumpers, skids and running 35s.

Obama's EPA just shut down your favorite ORV trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-14-2016, 07:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Even with the weight you are carrying the D tires are overkill. Stick with D or even better C tires for on road comfort and off road traction. E tires are simply a poor choice for a jeep.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-14-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Even with the weight you are carrying the D tires are overkill. Stick with D or even better C tires for on road comfort and off road traction. E tires are simply a poor choice for a jeep.
Dirtman thanks again!!

Obama's EPA just shut down your favorite ORV trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-15-2016, 05:56 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

What dirtman said. I have 35 inch E rated Terra Grapplers on my F150 and they ride like bricks, but I don't think they'll ever wear out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #5 of 13 Old 07-15-2016, 06:17 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Was very happy, on and off road with my C load MTR/k on my JKU on 35's

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #6 of 13 Old 08-07-2016, 01:30 AM
Wheeler

Garage

IMHO the only reason to use an E rated tire on a light rig is if the sidewall has given you trouble. For ride and flex a C rated would be better if the sidewall is good enough. I have tore holes in sidewalls on C's in the rocks but they were only two ply IIRC. OTOH, I've never ruined an E, and only once a D and I'm sure it was a defect.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-07-2016, 07:48 AM
Rock God

I have e rated Toyos r/t 35's and they ride great I have had c,d and e and all ride great on my jkur. C were stock and Cooper at3's d were ko2's and 3 sets of e rated Toyos all in the last 3 years. I switch between the ko2 and the Toyos all the time as both mounted on rims and saves wear and tear on Toyos but ride is the same.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-07-2016, 08:49 AM
Granite Guru

In the past I think it made a bigger difference than it does now. Maybe tires have changed but I am now running 35"x17" Toyos that are E rated and they ride great.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-16-2016, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Was very happy, on and off road with my C load MTR/k on my JKU on 35's
Same here. Good sidewall flex too.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
post #10 of 13 Old 09-17-2016, 05:50 AM
Wheeler

higher load range tires are SLIGHTLY stronger tires that allow you to run much higher air pressures then a c rated tire. Doesn't mean you have to run that high of pressure and if aired up to what a normal c rated tire (25-35psi) aren't all that much rougher riding. Added benefit is the extra strength is usually in the sidewalls so cuts and belt separation are less likely to happen.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-17-2016, 06:12 AM
Wheeler

ill add this. I went from c rated tires to e rated on my 2016 Silverado 4x4. Now I know its a bigger heavier vehicle but the ride is just as good with 30psi in them and they handle corners and groves in the road MUCH better. To me theres just to much flex in a c rated tire especially if your talking 33 inch or bigger.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

i shall throw in the 35" Cooper STT that I had a few years back was E-rated and it was my inexperience thinking the rock type in Tennessee and midsouth would require that much sidewall. It was overkill ; the only reason I was able to flex those at around 10psi was that they were 16s and thus more rubber between wheel and earth but that they were nicely broken in. It took a long time and it was due to the incredible thickness of the sidewall that is pretty much for towing on LTs.
But, the biggest thing about the E-Rated that is burdensome is the additional weight. It makes them so much heavier when you go up to that level of rating.
I run D rated 37s and they are sometimes too sidewalled (they are 17s), but my terrain option kind of demands the extra wall fortitude.
I agree with the recommendation that C-rated is enough unless you are in very sharp , jagged rocks much of the time.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 09-17-2016 at 12:58 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-17-2016, 03:41 PM
Rock God

I previously ran the same tires as Jeffrey mentioned, only in the 325/65/18 flavor (35x13.5) E rated, they flex decently at around 10 psi. I think I ran 26 psi on the road and they were fine. They had about 55k miles on them when I sold them, and still had approximately 35% tread left.
I'm currently running 37x13.50x17 nitto mud grapplers, again, E rated. They flex great at 8-10 psi and are pretty soft at 24psi on the street.
E rated tires should have a fairly higher tread life on them, compared to C rated.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode