Uneven wear 37" MTR - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-03-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Uneven wear 37" MTR

I'm running 37x12.5-17 Goodyear MT/R's at 28psi on a 2013 2-door with a 2.5" lift. The front drivers tire is showing wear. Every second lug on both the inside and outside of the tire. I can't feel any play in the front end. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-03-2016, 05:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Do you rotate often? Mud terrains should be about 3000 miles. Other things to check is toe in and shocks.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-03-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I dont rotate them as often as I should. Shocks are great, I'll have to check the toe in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-03-2016, 06:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac901 View Post
I'm running 37x12.5-17 Goodyear MT/R's at 28psi on a 2013 2-door with a 2.5" lift. The front drivers tire is showing wear. Every second lug on both the inside and outside of the tire. I can't feel any play in the front end. Any ideas?
They are cupping. Rotate, cross the fronts to the rear, rear straight up. (At least I think that is how it goes.....)

Crossing the tires will prevent the cupping. Depending on how bad they are, it could be too late. Most likely is...............sorry.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-03-2016, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

unless you've pinned the unicorn setup for a specific M/T with your shock and linkages ( it's possible ; just rare ) , you aren't gonna get much treadlife outta a set of them without the psi being optimal to w/in 2-3 psi ,shocks setup correct and tierod-end or toe and BJs setul perfectly when not rotating every 2500 ( oil change schedule). You've come clean about not rotating frequently enough so lesson learned .... hopefully there is some salvaging with them and maybe remounting and balancing them on a Hunter balancing system will help . Be careful on cupped tires driving highway , cool?

post #6 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 07:46 AM
Granite Guru

Rotate, Balance, Repeat

Rotate, rotate, rotate. My 35" MTRs also needed balancing after every 2 or 3 rotations. It kept me from buying another set. Haven't had that problem with Duratracs or Nitto Trail Grapplers.

2014 JKUR
2008 JKR (sold)
2002 X
1948 CJ2A (restoration project)

When did your freedom to make stupid choices become my responsibility to pay for them?
post #7 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 08:46 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

This chart may help. I have done this 5 tire rotation every 3000 - 3500 miles along with oil change. My first set cupped because of a bad shock and no matter where I put it, it was loud as hell. I'm on my 3rd set, my second lasted 51,000. I just put on a set of Nitto Grapplers G3's recently. This the most quietest tires I've ever had on my Rubi.
Attached Images

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #8 of 10 Old 07-08-2016, 01:12 AM
Granite Guru

Alignment might help and also the 5 tire rotation can prolong the tread life aside from promoting even wear.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-07-2016, 01:47 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I tried a set on my F350 and the wear kept me from going there again. They are good tires, but they HAVE to be balanced repeatedly, and rotated frequently. I'm busy and don't rotate as often as I should either. This was the old MT/R.

For a similar tire that wears better I've been using Cooper STT's. I have been getting about 40k miles out of them, DD, all year.

There are lots of good tires out there. No reason to stick with one that's a PITA.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Granite Guru

Double Ditto on Rotation

I have the same tire as yours except 35's. I use the 5 tire rotation on chart G posted by RubiCajun. Run 28-29 psi and am anal about rotating every 3000 mi. At 15100 miles, I swear they look almost new.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode