6Likes
  • 3 Post By thedirtman
  • 1 Post By thejoker91
  • 1 Post By j-rod17
  • 1 Post By UnlimiDozer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-11-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

run 37s on stock axle

what do I need to do to run 37 on my jeep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-11-2016, 11:02 AM
JKO Addict!

the minimum would be the 37" tires.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-11-2016, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

so would it be safe or do I need to sleeve it and put gussets on it for insurance?
ChuckTheRipper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Rock God

Gusset for certain

I've been running a sleeves and gusset D30 on 37" tires for 4 years now. Before me it was on another JK for two years.

And I highly suggest upgraded ball joints like Synergy.

And the obvious.....gearing
FtHoodJK likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-11-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

thank you for the help j-rod17
post #6 of 11 Old 06-11-2016, 11:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoker91 View Post
so would it be safe or do I need to sleeve it and put gussets on it for insurance?
I don't know what you plan to do with it or why you want 37's. Its hard to give good answers with no information at all. There are only about 1000 threads out there on answering your question as well if you just do a simple search.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #7 of 11 Old 06-11-2016, 02:14 PM
Granite Guru

Ive been running stock axles for about four years now. two years on 35s, and two on 37's. It was never stock as the dealer had done the 35's and I upgraded to 37's when they wore out.

I have about 64k miles and no issues.

2010 JKU, RK 3.5 short arm, Fox reservoir shocks and 2.0 steering stabilizer, 37"deegan 38 tires, Trektop Pro, Arias flat fenders
post #8 of 11 Old 08-20-2016, 08:33 AM
Rock God

I would say, for starters, 37" tires as well as stock axles.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Rock God

Garage

In October it will have been 4 years since I upgraded from the stock Rubicon tires, wheels, and suspension. I have not upgraded the axle housings at all, and have only replaced the rear shafts with CrMo ones because of a slightly bent flange that happened on Fordyce Creek, which I'm told is every bit as challenging as the Rubicon and some say more so. So it's not a mall crawler, but I don't beat on it either, and it's on the trails no more than a half-dozen times a year (not talking about dirt roads, but trails with some challenge to them). Depending on what you want to do and how you wheel you can get by with stock axles if you're reasonably careful. Then upgrade as damage or wear occurs.

Some folks say you can run 37s with no lift, but you'll need to get creative with a sawzall or cutoff wheel to do it, IMO. you'll also need flat fenders, or to trim your OEM ones to eliminate interference. So you're going to need either "some" lift, or fenders, or a trim, or a combination of those to make it work.

I can also tell you from first-hand experience, the same thing others will tell you: 37s will rapidly accelerate the wear on your steering and suspension components. I have an AEV 4.5" lift, which does not replace any of the factory steering components. You can go to my build thread (link in sig), pg.4, post #100 to see what 25,000 miles on 37s did to my track bar. I replaced the tie rod, drag link, ball joints, and track bar with Synergy pieces in January, to the tune of around (edit: ) $1200. I also added their track bar frame end and steering sector shaft brace in that upgrade.

Bottom line is like anything else -- there's a lot you CAN do, but what you have to ask yourself is whether you SHOULD. There is no cheap way to run 37s. Sooner or later, it's going to cost you a significant amount. If you (like so many of the rest of us) insist on running 37s (or larger) you can pay now or later, but YOU WILL pay the price.

Dirtman's got a point about your lack of detail. The more you tell us, the more we can help you.
azjeepN likes this.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 08-20-2016 at 09:32 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-27-2016, 06:47 AM
Granite Guru

X3 on lack of detail.

Run it til it breaks then upgrade.

DD
11 JK Unlimited
4.88s, Detroit Locker/Tru Trac
37x12.50-17 Toyo Open Country RT
OME HD, RK ControlArms

Hard core wheeler
85 CJ-7
Built AMC 360,T-18/Dana 300,
4.88's, rear spool
Rebuild time
post #11 of 11 Old 09-27-2016, 02:32 PM
Wheeler

I had this debate as well and I opted for 37s. I mainly DD my Jeep and do overland camping so not much wheeling in my Rubicon so I felt 37s were a bit much. I am also running 3.73 gears and didnt want to have to pay to have my Jeep regeared. I am very happy with my choice as my jeep still rides very well with the 35s. My lady had to one up me and got 37s. She is on 4.10s and does seem unpowered at all. She mainly daily drivers her jeep and her main complaint is a decrease in stability of the front end. I believe that is more of a byproduct of her lift but I thought I would mention it. Get what you want and enjoy the jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode