Absolutely no reason for tire wear... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-09-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Absolutely no reason for tire wear...

Alright, long story short, I've had 2 sets of tires over the past 23k miles. First was a set of GT Radial Adventuro MT in 305/70r16, then a set of Kumho KL71 M/T's. Both tires have been prematurely worn by the same irregular patter. I've heard it called "scalloping" or "cupping".

I have a very mild 1.5" lift from adding JKUR springs and shocks to my 2 door sport. Other than that, no suspension mods. I have had my alignment checked, and it's always been spot on. Even checked it again today; still spot on 1/8" in. Ball joints are good, with zero play and shocks are still running great.

Tires start to smooth back out once I put them on the rear, but by the time they are say 80(ish)% smoothed out on the rear, the ones I put on the front are torn up.

My Jeep has zero shimmy, play or bouncing going on, and all of my suspension parts look to be in good working condition w/ all bolts tightened to spec.

Any clue as to what could possibly be the issue? Is this just something inherent to E rated mud tires being put on a relatively light Jeep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-09-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Oh, yeah. Also, I run 24PSI in the rear and 26 in the front. Decided these were the best pressures for the tires after doing a chalk line test when I first mounted them.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-09-2016, 08:31 PM
Random Dude

How often do you rotate your tires?

I do a 5-tire rotation about every 3-5k miles, and have had no issues.

That's on 35s, MTR/Ks, then Nitto TGs, on a 2-door Rubi running 26-28 psi on average.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-09-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Typically I rotate every 5k, but since I've started running larger M/T's I moved down to 4K. Once I realized what was going on I moved it up to 3k, but even then I've found that the cupping will start to show up a little bit between 1700 and 2k. That just seems WAAAY to soon.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolJeeper View Post
Typically I rotate every 5k, but since I've started running larger M/T's I moved down to 4K. Once I realized what was going on I moved it up to 3k, but even then I've found that the cupping will start to show up a little bit between 1700 and 2k. That just seems WAAAY to soon.
If your alignment is spot-on as you say, then the balance or roundness of your tires must be for shit, maybe with a side of weak shocks.

Maybe try taking your tire pressure up a couple pounds - it's worth a shot.
Maximizing tread contact on the street comes at the expense of rolling resistance, and maybe you're asking a tiny bit too much of your tires.

That's a weird enough problem that I'm interested in what you find. Please keep us updated!

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode