The Next Generation | BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain KM3 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 06-08-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

The Next Generation | BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain KM3

Product Launch thread HERE: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/discou...ml#post4424858

Last December, after accepting the invitation, we found ourselves on a plane to Georgia. Our small group discretely drove through sections of the Durhamtown Off-Road Resort and plowed through plenty of fresh mud (thanks to recent heavy rains) on the current KM2 Mud-Terrain tires and the in-development KM3 (which we now have permission to officially call the KM3). The experience was great, provided us with insight into the tire design and exactly what BFGoodrich engineers are looking to accomplish with the new tire, and it provided BFG with a gauge on their progress from racers and journalists... continue reading

What would you like to see from BFG's next generation mud-terrain?
Hoseclamp likes this.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 06-14-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

if the differences between the KM2 and this are as drastic as the differences between the T/A KO and the KO2 ATs, there are gonna be even more millions of sets of BFGs sold .

TBH, ( & I know it is not the final design) I anticipated a bit more beef in this MT, or at least ( hear this BFG) a bead ring as that is the only thing I woulkd alter about the T/A KO2 ....

BFGoodrich has the compound element figured out, either way. Crazy to have such a soft compound wear so little when it feels like a pencil eraser it's so soft.
LVCapo likes this.

post #3 of 36 Old 06-18-2016, 10:52 PM
Granite Guru

From the pictures I've seen, it will need a lot more sipping before I would be interesting. The KM2 is dog crap in the rain and on hard packed snow/ice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 12-17-2016, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I am [a] sure some will find it interesting and [B] many have maybe not come across further photographs of what the new KM3 M/.T from BFGoodrich will look like ( tread pattern ,lug dept, appearance , etc) seeing as how close-to-the-hip it has been tested.
It maybe all over the internet from all I know but I had not seen a better reveal image than what I saw on @Impulse Off Road facebook page this morning ( I guess early last month they were one of the lucky group that gets to test the new MT tire much like BFG did when testing the KO2s a couple years back with members of offroad racing community and others.)

Pretty cool if this is it ...
I will say that I am a little surprised that the angled shoulder design did not carry over from the KO2 which had it passed from the KR2. This has the MT lugs on the shoulder staggered like the Krawlers, it looks like.

should be a popular tire, as usual. I wonder if they are addressing the way the KM2 tends to "run small" with the casings?:

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 12-17-2016 at 06:25 AM.
post #5 of 36 Old 12-17-2016, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
I am [a] sure some will find it interesting and [B] many have maybe not come across further photographs of what the new KM3 M/.T from BFGoodrich will look like ( tread pattern ,lug dept, appearance , etc) seeing as how close-to-the-hip it has been tested.
It maybe all over the internet from all I know but I had not seen a better reveal image than what I saw on @Impulse Off Road facebook page this morning ( I guess early last month they were one of the lucky group that gets to test the new MT tire much like BFG did when testing the KO2s a couple years back with members of offroad racing community and others.)

Pretty cool if this is it ...
I will say that I am a little surprised that the angled shoulder design did not carry over from the KO2 which had it passed from the KR2. This has the MT lugs on the shoulder staggered like the Krawlers, it looks like.

should be a popular tire, as usual. I wonder if they are addressing the way the KM2 tends to "run small" with the casings?:

I think those are KM2's? Hard to see the sidewall.

From the buzz we're hearing, the new KM3 will have the same sidewall design as the KO2, KR2 and Baja T/A.

Something like this perhaps?

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

Last edited by Discount Tire; 12-17-2016 at 06:41 AM.
post #6 of 36 Old 12-17-2016, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

yeah, if you look reeeaaaly closely, it does have a knobbier shoulder version of the KO2 and KR2 . If is the second from right in your lineup BFG announcement . The image and Facebook post was from end of first week of Nov and said something about 'testing BFGs new design MT' or something ....

post #7 of 36 Old 12-17-2016, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
yeah, if you look reeeaaaly closely, it does have a knobbier shoulder version of the KO2 and KR2 . If is the second from right in your lineup BFG announcement . The image and Facebook post was from end of first week of Nov and said something about 'testing BFGs new design MT' or something ....
You know what, I think you're right.
gener likes this.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #8 of 36 Old 12-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Granite Guru

Well, I was going to pick up some new rubber over the Christmas break.

Now I think I will wait for these. Any ETA?

< '81 CJ7, Chev power. Leaf springs baby!

2016 JKU Sport
The good guys: Synergy, Artec, MetalCloak, MCE
- 2.5" MC coils, Synergy arms and drag link flip.
- 37" BFG MTs on 17x8.5 -6

2013 GC... 5.7(MILF command centre)
post #9 of 36 Old 12-17-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-OR View Post
Well, I was going to pick up some new rubber over the Christmas break.

Now I think I will wait for these. Any ETA?
There has been no official release date announced by BFG yet, but from what I understand it "should" be available sometime early to mid next year.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #10 of 36 Old 12-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

just to be fair , & out of respect to Impulse Offroad , it was a shared post of someone else's that Impulse had on their page.
I do not know any details more than that and what is visible on that share .

I was just browsing their facebook site since I am installing a product he developed this morning (transfer case brace that Rockslide Enineering sells ) and saw the post from Nov. and was like," Sh*T! I don't think I have seen any detailed view of the new, forthcoming BFG MTs and looky here! "

Of course I would come right to JKO and post to this thread about them coming in the future I recalled Discount Tire had posted a while back.
Posting cool Jeep stuff is what we do, right?
Discount Tire likes this.

post #11 of 36 Old 12-26-2016, 07:06 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Any confirmation the 42" will still be avail?

2013 JKU, auto, bumpers/carrier, 9.5 Warn, 6" LA, King CO's, Currie antirocks, OBA, LED's, beefed 44's w/ 5.38/arb's, 1350 ds's, 40" mud grapplers, dual tops. Next, 5.38 UD60's still in crates, hi clearance fenders, atlas tc, snorkel, few other things. FI maybe.
post #12 of 36 Old 12-27-2016, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseclamp View Post
Any confirmation the 42" will still be avail?
Sorry but we do not have any conformation of the 42 inch BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain KM3 size information at this time.
1eviljk and Hoseclamp like this.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

Last edited by Discount Tire; 12-27-2016 at 12:13 PM.
post #13 of 36 Old 02-16-2017, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

im sure between social media ,a (fortunate) few probably seeing them in person and those in the industry like our friend/vendor/OP , @Discount Tire
(who likely get info way before the general public on new products ) there are many folks that saw them but , in case you didn't catch it here is the new racing KR3 ;

Many - a lot - of the rigs running in KoH 2017 were sporting the newest member of the BFGoodrich off-road racing family of tires , the KRs , in form of the T/A KR3 . I initially thought ( & asked BFG on Instagram about them ) the racers had grooved the KR2s into much smaller knobbies but then recalled how BFG always tests new models out at SCORE or some races before releasing them . They were running KR3s on some cars at KoH this year and I would imagine they have sizes similar to the KR2s , @Hoseclamp which would be a 35,37 and 39s . I read about a 40" KR3 I think , being run. The tire on left is a 40" KR3

And several teams were running the new* KM3s out at the SCORE1000 race this year

It is not too hard to see what this new and upcoming model MT from BFG will look like after 1000 hard miles in that team photo .

Which bodes well for a Fall '17 release for KM3 maybe ? I know nothing about any sizes ,specifically a 42" but who knows ? Do they even have a 42" Krawler model tire at BFG? I think they do,right ?

Anyway ...lots of new awesomeness coming from BFG !

(*prototype maybe?)

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-16-2017 at 07:48 AM.
post #14 of 36 Old 02-16-2017, 09:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
im sure between social media ,a (fortunate) few probably seeing them in person and those in the industry like our friend/vendor/OP , @Discount Tire
(who likely get info way before the general public on new products ) there are many folks that saw them but , in case you didn't catch it here is the new racing KR3 ;

Many - a lot - of the rigs running in KoH 2017 were sporting the newest member of the BFGoodrich off-road racing family of tires , the KRs , in form of the T/A KR3 . I initially thought ( & asked BFG on Instagram about them ) the racers had grooved the KR2s into much smaller knobbies but then recalled how BFG always tests new models out at SCORE or some races before releasing them . They were running KR3s on some cars at KoH this year and I would imagine they have sizes similar to the KR2s , @Hoseclamp which would be a 35,37 and 39s . I read about a 40" KR3 I think , being run. The tire on left is a 40" KR3

And several teams were running the new* KM3s out at the SCORE1000 race this year

It is not too hard to see what this new and upcoming model MT from BFG will look like after 1000 hard miles in that team photo .

Which bodes well for a Fall '17 release for KM3 maybe ? I know nothing about any sizes ,specifically a 42" but who knows ? Do they even have a 42" Krawler model tire at BFG? I think they do,right ?

Anyway ...lots of new awesomeness coming from BFG !

(*prototype maybe?)

Never understood the need for a 40x12.5 and then a 39x13.5

They do make a 42" Krawler
Rock Crawling BFGoodrich Krawler T/A KX | BFGoodrich Racing

post #15 of 36 Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

thnks, @ALASHA
I thought I had either seen or someone told me as much but couldn't recall as i posted this early this morning.

Yeah, me thinks it is strange to offer 39s and 40s too..

notice the 40" KR3 is a 40x12.50x17LT (light truck) where the KR2 is a 39x13.50x17 ; could it be something about the wheel width specs required to issue it as for truks versus a racing wheel , maybe? We need Discount or a tire industry expert to clarify the reasoning...

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-16-2017 at 10:28 AM.
post #16 of 36 Old 02-16-2017, 10:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Maybe the 40" km3 will measure bigger than 37?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

POISON SPYDER • ROCK KRAWLER • POLY • RCV • YUKON • AEV • TATTON • MBRP • TERAFLEX • BILSTEIN • JKS • RAMSEY • ROCK HARD • WURX • NEMESIS • SPOD • RIGID
post #17 of 36 Old 02-18-2017, 05:37 AM
Wheeler

looks like they took away the small amount of sipping the km2 had. Wonder why? Looks like it would be an ice skate to me.
post #18 of 36 Old 02-03-2018, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

sheez

WTF happened with these , does anyone know ( or care...) ?

here we are with the last comment already a year ago and that was around a half a year since DTD created the thread...

I am not really considering BFG again but curious if DTD or anybody knows why these haven’t hit market yet.

Ironically, this morning while browsing Cassie Currie's IG & reading how he is back w/ Nitto , there were a lot of bfg references and jokes. One led to this post where bfg , once again , suggests they are releasing the km3 "soon".

Mostly updating because I thought it funny I was thinking about these yesterday and then saw this post this morning:

again, I'm not personally waiting on them but sure takes bfg a loooong time to release a tire update.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-04-2018 at 06:40 AM.
post #19 of 36 Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

I think the KM3 is catching traction - I've had a few other members ask about this tire recently.

While I do not have an official release date, it's my understanding that this tire may be available come June or July of this year.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #20 of 36 Old 02-05-2018, 11:26 PM
Granite Guru

I watch an over landers you tube channel over in Australia who is sponsored by BFG and in a recent video he stated that the km3's will be released in Australia in April and in the USA in june.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #21 of 36 Old 02-06-2018, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb6700 View Post
I watch an over landers you tube channel over in Australia who is sponsored by BFG and in a recent video he stated that the km3's will be released in Australia in April and in the USA in june.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Thank you for the head's up! As more information becomes available to us we'll be sure to pass it along.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #22 of 36 Old 02-20-2018, 04:52 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
sheez
WTF happened with these , does anyone know ( or care...) ?
As soon as I get my new KM2's mounted the KM3's will be released.
post #23 of 36 Old 02-26-2018, 06:00 AM
Rock God

I just bought 5 “trail grapplers” but I do have interest in these.
Crazy that it’s been so long with no real info on availability.

post #24 of 36 Old 02-27-2018, 08:20 AM
Granite Guru

I communicated with BFG via chat on their official web site within the last 2 weeks or so. After several back -and-forths and holding I was asked if I wanted 8 ply or 10. After I said 8 and waited for a bit, I was told they hoped to have them by "early 2019" !!

So after much waiting and speculation about the KM3, I decided I couldn't wait. My 5 replacement MTR/K's are being mounted tomorrow.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
post #25 of 36 Old 03-24-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

I Just saw this on FB!. More information to follow but it's looking like initial release sizes will be available in June!

FB Video Link: BFG Presents KM3

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode