Did I just kill this tire? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-05-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Did I just kill this tire?

I put these together and remember cussing alot...took pressure down to 11 to remove beadlock ring, figured that was plenty. And it 'blew out' once I loosened the bolt off enough. Saw thisName:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1465155072.895416.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  24.1 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1465155082.672287.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  23.9 KB
I don't know if I can just push that back under or what but it looks/feels deformed. And before I go through the trouble of blasting this ring and repainting, I figured I'd ask some smart people...thanks in advance

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

if it holds air & has NOT mangled the bead wire I think you should be ok. I do not run BLs but everything I have ever heard is to yank the valvestems to evacuate/deplete ALL air prior to disassembly or you'll put your eye out?
I will defer to someone that has been running beadlocks to answer more than my suspicions .
'Might depend upon the tires make and model as well. What are those? What does the SPEC sheet layer diagram look like in the section that is damaged? Deep enough to structurally make it unsound right there?

<edit: TOYOs are pretty builtup in that area. I am gonna bet you'll be alright if , again, the wire bead core isn't broken and she retains air. Gonna be more of a b*tch to mount again with that tear. It is tough to tell the depth of damage from that image. Also, did the steel insert on the left hole fly out with the '"blew out"? >

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 06-05-2016 at 01:50 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-05-2016, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Did I just kill this tire?

Yeah I guess I should've let all the air out, but I remember I had to do the ether trick to set the bead...and use fender washers to keep it in all around...that was mtr though...these are nitto TG. I think I can get it pushed back in there, but that site looks like a scary spot for a weak point.

The wheels are spyderlocks, and I found about 4 threads (after I started my install and was having issues) taking about how hard they were to install as a combo lol

2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-05-2016, 06:46 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

You already know what you should have done.

Put it back on and see if it holds air for a few days. Try using a ratchet strap around the tire to help the bead seat and seal for air.

If it does hold air mark it and keep it for a spare only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Rock God

My Spare looks like that holds air fine. Racelines
post #6 of 11 Old 06-05-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

I just realized I did not use fender washers with these. That was my MTRs and I let the shop that I bought these TG from do the install because they had 'free mount and balance'.

At first I thought it was a rip, but now it looks more like it's deformed and might've been clamped on that way from the get go. I will use fender washers after I get this repainted and try to stuff that little lip back in and see what she does.

2010 Silver JKU
post #7 of 11 Old 06-08-2016, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

So what I wonder now, and I think I know the answer, could 11psi blow that lip up like that? Or was it likely already there?

2010 Silver JKU
post #8 of 11 Old 06-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Me thinks that there was a defect in the tire either in the manufacturing process or somewhere through the years. Then when you let the ring loose with the 11 psi it caused the failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-08-2016, 10:17 AM
Granite Guru

Looks symmetric about the edge. Any chance a tire shop tried to unmount the tire without knowing it was a beadlock?

'13 JKU | 3" Synergy, 37" KO2
post #10 of 11 Old 06-08-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

I guess that's always a risk. I was going to do it because I figured they'd charge an arm and a leg, but they explained it was their policy with any tire purchase. And I know they mount beadlocks for all the drag racers in town so I figured why not.

USMC may be onto something
post #11 of 11 Old 06-08-2016, 10:30 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
At first I thought it was a rip, but now it looks more like it's deformed and might've been clamped on that way from the get go.
That's what it looks like to me (I could easily be wrong, just my best guess).

As long as bead wires and sidewall cords aren't mangled, it's no safety/reliability issue, just a question of if it'll seal (I'm guessing "yes").

When re-mounting, I'd start on that side and get that spot settled in first, put on fender washers, then work toward the "cherry" side.

If it wants to seep a bit of air, you might add a couple dabs of Right Stuff gasket goo (or similar)
- good to go, FKNRUNIT

Also, I'd make a habit of always pulling the valve core before loosening the clamping rings in the future. Zero PSI is always safe.

Ether is handy on the trail but, in your garage, I'd clamp the beadlock side, then put the rim on a bucket and push the tire down to seat a bead.

Disclaimer: the above is all guesses and opinions from some random dude on the internet, and should be taken as neither gospel nor guru-wisdom

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode