Trail Ready Beadlocks - Rock or Slim Ring? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 04-18-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Trail Ready Beadlocks - Rock or Slim Ring?

Hey everyone,
I got a smokin deal on a set of Trail Ready beadlocks from Fusion4x4. I had Fusion4x4 order them with the slim beadlock rings but now wondering if I should change to the Rock ring.

What do you guys think? I live near Fordyce Trail, Rubicon Trail and other Sierra mountain trails. Not a lot of mud to deal with and generally only use my jeep for rock crawling type situations.

Is the rock ring stronger? Or is it just a looks thing? If it is stronger or better for rocks then maybe I will change. Both rings look cool. I don't really like the world series ring, so it's between the slim and rock ring.

I probably have a day or two before the wheels ship so any feedback is appreciated.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-18-2016, 11:21 AM
Rock God

i prefer the rock ring.. out of the two.. but i myself would get the world series ring
post #3 of 24 Old 04-18-2016, 11:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

World Series Ring...bad ass

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 04-18-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Oh man. Decisions decisions. Just called TR for good measure. No advantage to any lock ring other than the wider rings help when sliding up against rocks or traversing around rocks. The wider ring can help prevent the wheel from getting caught up.

TR said the most popular ring is the slim ring. All their rings have the same clamping force and no one ring is stronger than the other.

If mud were a concern I would stick with the slim. I think you guys sold me and given I'm a baseball fan (go Giants!), I will go with the World Series ring. Time for me to contact Fusion4x4 and have them change my order. I went with the all satin finish - should look pretty slick up against a black JK.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-18-2016, 06:15 PM
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

The Rock Ring obviously provides more protection, but I've been running the standard/slim rings on Racelines and TR's here on the granite rocks of Arizona with never a problem. For me, I prefer the look of the standard/slim rings, and fortunately, they have provided the protection I've wanted.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-18-2016, 08:21 PM
Random Dude

I got the slim rings for 4 reasons I can think of:

• A bit lighter weight
  • A bit easier to clean out
  • Less obvious it's a beadlock (especially painted for stealth)
  • Room to jam my fingers into 2 of the wheel holes to heft the spare into position

If none of those reasons dissuade you, bolt on more unsprung weight

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #7 of 24 Old 04-18-2016, 11:28 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I like the Rock Rings myself but they can make cleaning a bit of a bear.

Rock Rings on a 17:

World Series on a 20:

post #8 of 24 Old 04-19-2016, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
I got the slim rings for 4 reasons I can think of:

• A bit lighter weight
  • A bit easier to clean out
  • Less obvious it's a beadlock (especially painted for stealth)
  • Room to jam my fingers into 2 of the wheel holes to heft the spare into position

If none of those reasons dissuade you, bolt on more unsprung weight
Great points - thanks! I waffled more yesterday and decided on the rock ring. It is what I wanted originally so I'm going to go with it. Thanks again to everyone for the responses. The photos from River City Offroad are bad ass - great looking jeep and beadlock setup.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-19-2016, 09:44 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk12blk View Post
Great points - thanks! I waffled more yesterday and decided on the rock ring. It is what I wanted originally so I'm going to go with it. Thanks again to everyone for the responses. The photos from River City Offroad are bad ass - great looking jeep and beadlock setup.
Thanks brother. Love me some Trail Ready wheels.

post #10 of 24 Old 05-16-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I've received my new Trail Ready HD17 beadlocks and started building them this past weekend. Super nice wheel and I liked how they turned out after deciding to rattle can the rock ring black.

I cannot wait until I receive my Fusion 4x4 axles so I can bolt these puppies up!

Here are a few pics...
Attached Images

post #11 of 24 Old 05-16-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Few more pics. Although I think it would have looked better if I mocked up the standard ring using a 40 (instead of the loaner 38's I currently have on my jeep), I decided to paint the rock ring black. I think it turned out great and looking forward to scratching them up.
Attached Images

post #12 of 24 Old 05-16-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Couple more pic of the tire next the jeep. Gives me an idea of how things will look. The 38 is masked behind the 40 in the single photo.
Attached Images

post #13 of 24 Old 05-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Rock God

man those look sweeeeeeeet ! my trail readys are shipping this week, can't wait . i went with the world series ring .
post #14 of 24 Old 06-14-2016, 08:35 PM

That setup definitely looks awesome. Love the Rock Ring on the Raceline. Lol. I'll pitching my 5x5 Racelines for 8 bolts soon and really like the TRs. Thinking of silver Rock Ring over black though.

2014 Amp'd JKUR
post #15 of 24 Old 07-15-2016, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

what's that size TR beadlock wheel weigh-in-at w/ the slim ring like @ExWrench has? I think those look killer.

post #16 of 24 Old 07-15-2016, 07:26 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
what's that size TR beadlock wheel weigh-in-at w/ the slim ring like @ExWrench has? I think those look killer.
Hopefully someone else has a "dead-on balls accurate" number, but here's ballpark:

My HD17s with slim rings & hardware were 35-ish pounds each (possibly a bit less).

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #17 of 24 Old 07-15-2016, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Hopefully someone else has a "dead-on balls accurate" number, but here's ballpark:

My HD17s with slim rings & hardware were 35-ish pounds each (possibly a bit less).

'obliged; I am tryin to find the lightest beadlock I can run that has some integrity built into it ; I want Walkers or TrailGears but they are so heavy. Always checking weights of Bls when conversation or thread presents itself. That isn't too heavy for that size tire and a great wheel.

post #18 of 24 Old 07-15-2016, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk12blk View Post
Couple more pic of the tire next the jeep. Gives me an idea of how things will look. The 38 is masked behind the 40 in the single photo.

those trailing arms are the cat's meow, dude. There's a bit of nice stuff & looks like some work put-in on that rig.

post #19 of 24 Old 07-16-2016, 01:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

'obliged; I am tryin to find the lightest beadlock I can run that has some integrity built into it ; I want Walkers or TrailGears but they are so heavy. Always checking weights of Bls when conversation or thread presents itself. That isn't too heavy for that size tire and a great wheel.

How about the DV8's ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #20 of 24 Old 07-16-2016, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
How about the DV8's ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

they are near the top opf the list of light ones, but I do not care enough for the looks of them to want to make those the last 17" wheels I buy. That is why the TGs or the Walker forged or the Raceline forged beadlocks are so appealing; they look like something artists carved out to me. I even like the WELD Racing one with circles because they are monstrous, if a bit gaudy . No offense to DV8 for bringing an amazing BL to market, but the looks - especially thew chrome finished one- is still too audy by a hair for me to live with. I could go out and stare at a TrailGear beadlock for hours it is so awesome [email protected]! .

I still may spend the cash to ave OMF do up my light Lvl 8 Strikes. Each is good looking, light at 21lbs and tough as nails for a Chinese alloy .
I like the look that much that, if I could clamp a tire bead between them and a ring, they couldn't weigh-in at more than 27-28lbs with the bolts . I just do not know if OMF inserts steel races for the HW or how those would hold up. - anyway, no rush as I probably will end up waiting for wheels when i go new axles with 8 lugs in next few years.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 07-16-2016 at 04:33 AM.
post #21 of 24 Old 07-16-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:

those trailing arms are the cat's meow, dude. There's a bit of nice stuff & looks like some work put-in on that rig.
Thanks! There was a write-up a while back on the install. Here is the link https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modifi...el-system.html

Mike Shaffer (Shaffer's Offroad in Alameda, CA) did all the work.

I just weighed my TR's - not sure if the scale is dead on but it should be fairly accurate. These are the TR 17's with 40" Nittos. The shipping lbs for the wheels say 37 lbs, so the tire must be approx 100 lbs.
Attached Images

post #22 of 24 Old 07-16-2016, 04:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just weighed my 41.5 PBR on a 17" Trailready with rock ring. It came in at 150.6 lbs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

POISON SPYDER • ROCK KRAWLER • POLY • RCV • YUKON • AEV • TATTON • MBRP • TERAFLEX • BILSTEIN • JKS • RAMSEY • ROCK HARD • WURX • NEMESIS • SPOD • RIGID
post #23 of 24 Old 07-18-2016, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

even w/ 5.13 Yukons, I will have nightmares of my turd-sucking 3.8l v6 & the craptastic 42RLE it is mated to screaming for mercy at tryin to push that PBR/TR combo at nearly twice the weight of one of my 37" tire/wheel combos!
It must feel bombproof to run meats like that, tho! That size and quality wheel will come once I have the LS workin in here someday....

post #24 of 24 Old 08-11-2019, 09:26 PM

My Vote Rock Ring

My Vote, Rock ring

If you don't have a plan for yourself, someone has one for you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode