Slow Tire Leaks After Offroad - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-13-2016, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Slow Tire Leaks After Offroad

I keep finding one or both front tires with slow air leaks after a weekend trip in the dirt/rocks from small pebbles and grit getting between the wheel and tire bead. I end up dropping most of the air pressure, wedging in a pry bar at the affected area (located with soapy water), and use a pick to fish out debris.

Do beadlock wheels ever have the same issue? Any clever ways to deal with this? I run 12 PSI offroad for anyone wondering.

'13 JKU | 3" Synergy, 37" KO2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-13-2016, 10:10 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockwell View Post
I keep finding one or both front tires with slow air leaks after a weekend trip in the dirt/rocks from small pebbles and grit getting between the wheel and tire bead. I end up dropping most of the air pressure, wedging in a pry bar at the affected area (located with soapy water), and use a pick to fish out debris.

Do beadlock wheels ever have the same issue? Any clever ways to deal with this? I run 12 PSI offroad for anyone wondering.
Assuming your bead debris problems are only on the outer bead (mine always were), then beadlocks do fix a lot of it.
When you hook a corner, you're loading the outside sidewall and pulling it away from the rim, but unloading the tire inside the turn.

However, if you drop to 5-6 psi and go tear-assing around the dunes all day, you could need to clean your inner and outer beads.

Compressed air may make cleanout better (or worse) - I've used prybar + needle-nose pliers &/or pick depending on the debris.

No other tricks I know of, unless you wanna' run tubes

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 10 Old 04-14-2016, 07:34 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

^^ That. A few times after 10-12 psi I found sand and small gravel chunks in the bead. After breaking the bead and blowing/wiping out bead, no more leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-14-2016, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

how ironic this is mentioned; I have talked up my " light, tough & relatively affordable 37" wheel-tire" package since getting them just over a year or so ago and only after an extremely mud involved trip to Alabama a few months ago, I too noticed this same occurrence on my Strike5s and KO2s. I never had the issue with the STTs or Fun Country - which I attribute to them having a rim-rise /"bead protector" lip where the KO2s do not.
Anyway, same exact thing JKCTAZ and OP experience ...I had to get the wife and kids to stand on fully deflated tires so I could get in there with some interior trim tools made of plastic that cant break to get out pebbles, sticks, material and small grit. One good chunk of a root required skillful placement of the needle-nose to not gouge the alloy ( arg!) I was aired-down to around 8-10psi which is max I will go without beadlocks where normally I am at 10-14psi. The mud required less air but I was freaking thinking I had holes in my tires until it hit me to check the bead...I am getting beadlocks but it is gonna be a while ( next year when axles are upgraded) .
You say breaking bead and cleaning then resetting fixed it for good for you , JKCTAZ? If so, I will take the hi-lift to them and reset myself this weekend. I am only losing air on one but am kinda miffed this happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-14-2016, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Assuming your bead debris problems are only on the outer bead (mine always were), then beadlocks do fix a lot of it.
Always the outer bead. I have been trying to keep myself from buying beadlocks since I'm still on a 5x5 lug pattern and I have been otherwise satisfied by my OEM wheels. Maybe its worth buying two wheels just for the front... I don't need to look pretty, I just am not interested in chasing bead debris in addition to the normal after-wheeling maintenance.

'13 JKU | 3" Synergy, 37" KO2
post #6 of 10 Old 04-14-2016, 11:50 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

It does seem to be a BFG related thing. This was happening with my KMs. When I switched to the Yokohama A/T, never happened again and I usually went down to 8 or 9 psi...

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-14-2016, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
It does seem to be a BFG related thing. This was happening with my KMs. When I switched to the Yokohama A/T, never happened again and I usually went down to 8 or 9 psi...
very,very interesting, JKCTAZ; I sweated the lack of a raised lip near the wheel bead more than you could ever know. So, of all its pluses, I may have just found my first, single negative for the KO2s.

I have my solution, already;a freaking set of 37" or 39" KR2s appear to have a nice fat bead rim guard on them. next meats, Ah HA!

post #8 of 10 Old 09-18-2016, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
^^ That. A few times after 10-12 psi I found sand and small gravel chunks in the bead. After breaking the bead and blowing/wiping out bead, no more leaks.

so, you broke bead and cleaned 'em out which resulted in the situation to rear it head again , @JKCTAZ ?

I continue to have this issue and it makes me bonkers. It's the only thing I can say negatively about the move from MTs to T/A KO2s but if I had beadlocks it wouldnt be an issue. I just caught that you'd mentioned not having it happen a second time after breaking the bead and reseating. Here is the kinda crap I am finding that is resulting in slow leaks on a couple of wheels ...

post #9 of 10 Old 09-18-2016, 07:05 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I didn't have the issue reoccur after cleaning the beads the first time it happened.
Never had it happen with the Yokohama AT-S at the same pressures, same terrain, same use.

Quote:
post #10 of 10 Old 09-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
I didn't have the issue reoccur after cleaning the beads the first time it happened.
Never had it happen with the Yokohama AT-S at the same pressures, same terrain, same use.

thnks & appreciated .
I am gonna have them remounted at Discount Tire ( I paid for them to do so when i bought them) locally /soon & have decided to also have them flip them on the wheels to the opposite ( unfortunately, the white lettering out but I don't care since it's to extend their wear even more )side and rebalance; I'll make sure they clean them or will break beads myself and clean .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode