40" tires, what ayou guys running? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-13-2016, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

40" tires, what ayou guys running?

Going to one tons, so looking at 40" options. Pretty much open to anything but Interco tires as the Jeep will be driven on the street as well. So looking for a balance between good off-road tires (rock and dirty mainly) and streetable tires with good sidewall resistance. Looking for options out there:

1- Procomp MT2
2- Toyo Open Country MT's
3- MTR Kevlars - Note from what I am hearing people complained in te past about eaasier sidewall puncture.
4- Maxxis - Treps seem pretty heavy and noisy?
5- Nitto mud grapplers

Goal is to keep the cost per tire in the under $400 if possible. I have run several tires in the past but most of my rigs were rock crawlers running TSL Swampers. I had good luck with the old MTR design as well.

Appreciate any additional ideas, pros and cons etc. Thanks!

Gui

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by geberhard; 04-13-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-13-2016, 04:47 PM
JKO Addict!

I run MTR's. Good luck finding a 40" tire for $400. Going rate is around $600

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #3 of 16 Old 04-13-2016, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks, how do you like the MTr's overall? The Procomp MT2's are $400 a piece. I am running them in the 37" flavor right now and they do pretty well.

procomps are $385
Toyos are about $460

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-13-2016, 05:15 PM
JKO Addict!

They are fine, but I might go treps next time around.

Some build info here:

post #5 of 16 Old 04-14-2016, 06:58 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I am currently running the MTRs in the 40 and they are doing just fine. They seem to be a little softer rubber so they do great in the rocks. I have had really good luck with them in the snow as well. I also have never had a sidewall puncture in the 4 sets I have had. I also like them because they are one of the lighter 40" tires on the market.

I also ran Toyo Open Country's for 3 years just because I couldn't get my hands on a set of 40" MTRs. I actually ended up being extremely impressed with them. Very rugged tire, wore exceptionally well ( I got about 45k miles out of them), and did pretty good in the rocks and mud. My only complaint is that they are a heavy tire at 105 lbs a piece.

Also, like the other posts I have never been able to get a 40" tire for less then about $510/tire.

i would love to try a set of Maxxis tires but my rig is a daily driver so I'm pretty sure I would destroy them in no time.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-14-2016, 07:07 AM
JKowners Vendor

I agree with Dirtman. We run the MTRk's in a 40". Have had great luck with them. 26K on them now and still going strong. No issues. Thinking about the Treps next but yeah, sub $400.00 a tire on a 40" is going to be hard to do!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #7 of 16 Old 04-14-2016, 07:12 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I run MTR's. Good luck finding a 40" tire for $400. Going rate is around $600
Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
The Procomp MT2's are $400 a piece.
DiscountTireDirect.com lists the Procomp MT2s at $400, the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T at $451.37, and the MTR Kevlar at $597. So there's a pretty big range of prices out there if all you're interested in is getting a 40" dia. I hate to say you get what you pay for, but you get what you pay for.

I've been running MTR Kevlars (37) for around 3 1/2 years now and never had so much as a leak in them. The BFGs are the ones you hear the sidewall horror stories about. My MTRs have always done well in the rocks as well.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #8 of 16 Old 04-14-2016, 07:28 AM
Rock God

Came across some Nitto 40's with free shipping. Best price I have seen.
40 inch tires | 40x13.50x17 tires | 40 tires on 17 rims| 40 inch mud tires | 40 inch all terrain tires
post #9 of 16 Old 04-14-2016, 07:48 AM
JKowners Vendor

Trail Grapplers.....more than you want to spend but fantastic tires.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #10 of 16 Old 04-14-2016, 08:27 AM
Rock God

Personally a big fan of the Toyo MT's.

Been runnin' the 37's on my off-road camper due to their weight ratin'. Been very happy with both on and off-road performance. Bout 25k miles on them currently with no issues ... and that's on a 11,000 lb rig.

So happy with 'em in fact that I just bought a set of the 40's for my lil' jeep. Got 'em off Amazon for $467 ea a coupla weeks ago. Looked right now and see they're up to 5 hun'erd tho.

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Research, bro!

Garage

I think we run more or less the same trails out here in CA.

I have the 40" Trail Grapplers on JKU w/ tons. On road, they are awesome for a big tire. Never bothered balancing as only have a hint of a shimmy at about 50mph. No slop. Offroad they are pretty good with nice sidewall grip. The reason I just say pretty good is I came from 37" PBRs which were absolutely awesome offroad in all conditions other than steep sandy granite inclines with nothing for lug to hook into - the Nitto's beat them there IMO. (I'd get 40" PBR radials in a heartbeat if they made them even though they need a lot of minding onroad).

HOGGSTATUS just finished using up his 37" TGs and moved to the 40" Procomps. Stretched 2-door. He has had one snow run and last weekend we went to the 1st water crossing at Fordyce. Not a ton of data for him, but he likes the offroad hookup better than his 37s. He drove me up to Truckee to pick my jeep up for the trip and as a passenger I thought the on road of the Procomps were great.

Assuming you are talking about radial Trepadors. Assuming 40" no different. One of the NorCal guys ran the 37" flavor and he cut 3 sidewalls in very short order which ended his affair with them. (Sold him my PBRs and and he's stupid happy with them offroad, but same on road downside thoughts as me.)

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #12 of 16 Old 04-14-2016, 10:20 AM
JKO Addict!

40's are naturally going to be a big improvement off road vs a 37" tire. Really there is no comparison between the two.

Some build info here:

post #13 of 16 Old 04-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Granite Guru

Currently fitting 41.5 PBRs since they don't make a 40. Was able to get $550 shipped ea.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-14-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by da20captain View Post
Came across some Nitto 40's with free shipping. Best price I have seen.
40 inch tires | 40x13.50x17 tires | 40 tires on 17 rims| 40 inch mud tires | 40 inch all terrain tires

Wow great find thanks!! Not bad on the Trail grapplers at $428 a piece!

post #15 of 16 Old 04-14-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Guys, greta info! Rrrauzer, great input as well! I am leaning towards the Trail Grapplers or MTR's now. With the Trail Grapplers ate the $420 or so range I may end up biting in that direction, thanks!!

post #16 of 16 Old 05-27-2016, 07:55 AM
Rock God

Garage
40" tires, what ayou guys running?

Some more info for you to digest. I'm the trepador guy. RRauzer mentioned.
The treps were pretty much silent on the street, smooth and very good road manners which I didn't expect as a fairly high load rating I suspect it's offset by a pretty soft compound so pretty quick wear. The tread pattern gave pretty good forward backward grip but poor sideways I found. Quite often slipped off things as a result. The three sidewall tears were in one run but in fairness it was not an ordinary run.

I'd consider them in a vehicle that spends more time on the road than trail.

I had the pro comps prior to them in a 315 so pretty small like a 34

They were a load range E so not perfect. They got quite a bit of rash , but that was on the sharp Quartz at holister. Nothing else after that. Not completely silent but really not bad for road noise. I was a big fan offroad. I'd definitely consider again. May get them when I join the 40s

The PBRs I bought from mark I'm loving. Great on the trail . I think his lack of traction on Sandy granite is just driver error lol.
Very loud on road but I've generally found them a decent ride. Recently changing to a long arm has also been a massive improvement. One finger driving is easy again. Which is useful as I often find myself using one finger driving in the Bay Area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unspoilt by progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode