Tire Size Dilemma on Budget Boost - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-2016, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Tire Size Dilemma on Budget Boost

About to put on a Rough Country Budget Boost 2.5" (w/ shocks & steer stab) on my 2012 JK 2-door.

Looking at 17" wheels: 8.5" wide w/ 18mm offset.

Now the part where I'm torn....

305/65 (~32.6x12) vs. 35x12.5

Considerations???
- RC says 35s shouldn't rub (much?)
- GAS MILEAGE???? (obviously, this is a daily driver)

Any input from the JK community is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-15-2016, 08:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

Hope you got your radio issue sorted. You've been on the board for a while, you know how it works. ..have an issue, do some searches, ask a question, report results.
All lift and tire questions need to include the type of wheeling/driving you do incl. terrain, conditions, frequency etc. Is this for looks or wheeling? GiGo.
I see you skipped the search part so:
Tires and lift. 33's look small with 2 1/2 inch lift but offer decent wheeling and won't rub, minor milage considerations. (Flat highway mileage may even increase slightly if your rpms drop due to increased dia.)
35's are sometimes 34's depending on wheel width and manufacturer but with RC prolly will rub on fenders later, no big deal, it's just noise.
Milage. More weight, more rotational mass, more money, more gas. Wear and tear on the unit bearing and ball joints.

Please use the search feature also. Your questions have been discussed many times.
Search "will it rub"
post #3 of 6 Old 03-15-2016, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Wow! you must have some great research tools or I just need to delete my cookies like your avatar suggests. I've read up a bunch but mostly through google searches (not logged in). Good suggestion with the "will it rub" search.

Also, thanks for your input! So I'm leaning 35's. (even the wifey said "go big")
No intention to go to flat fenders, so I may have to adjust steering stops (I'm assuming JK's still have this like my old TJ, I guess I never actually looked)

I had some long term concerns about durability of ball joints, etc. But this thing is 90% highway and streets, but it gets out on the trails a handful of times a year and have been known to bury it in mud here and there. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-15-2016, 08:34 AM
Rock God

Garage

You can add washers to stock steering stops, you may not need to with 35's.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-15-2016, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Great! Thanks again for your help!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-11-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just a follow up....went 35's on 17 inch rims w/ +18mm offset. Makes it ever so slightly beyond flush with the wheel flares. Got a little rub with the plastic skid shield, chose to cut a bit off the plastic shield, so no need to adjust steering stops.

FYI..this lift kit did NOT come with longer front stab bar links. It did however come with longer rear stab bar links, so I just put my old rears on the front. It also called for re-use of the old front track bar, which would have shifted the axle laterally to one side, so I chose to order an adjustable track bar and get it centered again.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode